News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

USA: The Leader of the Unfree World

Started by Syt, July 24, 2014, 01:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:42:23 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 08:38:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:14:11 AM
It's all about the War on Drugs.

Illicit drugs kill people.  From production to trafficking to use.

Yeah the streets around here are covered with the rotting corpses of dead stoners.

Well I think that ignores all the criminal activity earlier in the chain that gets the stoners access to said weed (as I could be wrong but I don't think most weed that available is local with no ties to criminal organizations).

That said, I agree that really all of this says that government should step in as a regulator as a lot of the associated crime doesn't have to be part of the production chain.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

He said "Illicit drugs kill people". He is right.

Solution: Make the drugs licit.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 09:50:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2014, 09:48:24 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2014, 09:29:27 AM
I'd like to beat people with a tire iron who post "this".

No shit.

This

One day, a RV is going to pull up next to you and I'm going to jump out and hit you in the knee. Hook 'em Horns.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2014, 10:07:14 AM

I was just speaking the production and trafficking. Clearly we then need to think about the use piece. I mean it isn't like we don't have legal drugs that kill people.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2014, 10:10:19 AM
One day, a RV is going to pull up next to you and I'm going to jump out and hit you in the knee. Hook 'em Horns.

Best Languish meet ever!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 24, 2014, 10:07:14 AM

The solution certainly isn't letting stoners that don't grow their own shit off the hook simply because suburban white teens don't see the violence farther up the supply chain trying to get it to their Honey Bear bongs.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 10:57:19 AM
The solution certainly isn't letting stoners that don't grow their own shit off the hook simply because suburban white teens don't see the violence farther up the supply chain trying to get it to their Honey Bear bongs.

There won't be violence farther up the chain once Phillip Morris and R. J. Reynolds can diversify into grass and coca.

CountDeMoney

I don't know about that, see the "chokehold" thread.  Man died in custody selling illegal cigarettes.  BIG TOBACC-OW MAH NECK

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
Otto, it appears that violent crime is falling everywhere in the Western World.  It also seems that nobody has a particularly good explanation for why this is occuring across all Western societies.

This.

Someone made a case that the key was lower levels of lead ingested by kids. I'm not convinced, I think probably it is a number of different factors.

I thinkthe lead argument (considered favourably in a Stephen Pinker book) is very convincing. The correlation for both the rise in violent crime and its decline was very strong over numerous countries.

Valmy

It also might explain the Romans' love of gladiatorial combat.

derspiess

Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2014, 11:28:05 AM
Did you eat a lot of paint chips when you were a kid?

Not a sufficient amount to turn me into a violent football player unfortunately :(