And we're back!

Main Menu

USA: The Leader of the Unfree World

Started by Syt, July 24, 2014, 01:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 24, 2014, 09:00:05 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2014, 06:03:01 AM
I really hate seeing this bullshit use of poor statistics constantly brought up over and over.

Agreed.  I read that as more likely that the same people received stop-and-frisk searches repeatedly, which is a whole other problem.

It's called "effective policing."

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: frunk on July 24, 2014, 04:01:38 PMLike people who sell alcohol?

Or people who sell cigarettes, yes. You can victimize someone without it being a crime. There are probably ethical ways to sell intrinsically harmful substances but not many tobacco companies for example really seem to do that, and continue to do things like advertise to children, come up with new products they try to sneakily make people think are "less" harmful and etc. Likewise the street dealer who probably crushes his shit with various straight up industrial solvents / poisons and slings on the street, or even at best just slings a product he has no idea the provenance of falls into the unethical side of that sort of thing. Maybe a medical marijuana dispensary or a controlled compounding pharmacy that say, dispensed legalized heroin/methamphetamine would be an ethical model.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on July 24, 2014, 09:15:50 AM
Do convictions and prison terms ever disappear from your record in the U.S.?

In Germany, there's terms, depending on the severity of the crime for when items get wiped off your slate and you can go back to calling yourself "not previously convicted."

We really need this in north america. At least then our prosecutors can go to sleep at night without having lives ruined for eternity on their conscience.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Malthus on July 24, 2014, 09:25:55 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
Otto, it appears that violent crime is falling everywhere in the Western World.  It also seems that nobody has a particularly good explanation for why this is occuring across all Western societies.

This.

Someone made a case that the key was lower levels of lead ingested by kids. I'm not convinced, I think probably it is a number of different factors.
Me!

Science don't lie! :nerd:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2014, 03:47:52 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2014, 03:17:00 PM
:hmm: As far as correlation-explaining stories go, it sounds pretty convincing.

Yep.  Welcome to the world of science.

Well, non-climate science at least.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2014, 09:47:26 PM

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 24, 2014, 09:17:18 AM
Otto, it appears that violent crime is falling everywhere in the Western World.  It also seems that nobody has a particularly good explanation for why this is occuring across all Western societies.
Me!

Pretty sure you can't credibly take the credit here.

;)