News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Libertarian Fascists for Mother Russia

Started by DGuller, July 21, 2014, 12:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

In the least surprising news ever, Ron Paul supports Russia. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ron-paul-defends-russia-malaysian-151731466.html.  This may be personal bias talking, but I'm not surprised that "libertarians" are in bed with the fascists.  Mainly because old school "libertarians" like Ron Paul became "libertarians" because federal government finally cracked down on fascism at home.

Tamas

I am a libertarian and I hate what Russia is doing  :mad:

Maximus

Quote from: Tamas on July 21, 2014, 12:42:26 PM
I am a libertarian and I hate what Russia is doing  :mad:
But you're a libertarian, not a Libertarian. In the US at least, those are opposites.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 21, 2014, 12:39:31 PM
In the least surprising news ever, Ron Paul supports Russia. http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ron-paul-defends-russia-malaysian-151731466.html.  This may be personal bias talking, but I'm not surprised that "libertarians" are in bed with the fascists.  Mainly because old school "libertarians" like Ron Paul became "libertarians" because federal government finally cracked down on fascism at home.

And you wonder why you get blasted so often for tribalistic bullshit.

"Libertarians" are not defined by whatever the dumbest, kookiest thing you can find some libertarian saying. Any more than Republicans are defined by Sarah Palin, or Democrats by Michael Moore.

Libertarians became libertarians because the government cracked down on fascism?

Are you really this fucking insane?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Uh, interesting take. 

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it comes from the isolationist element of libertarianism, where you don't want the bad guys to look quite so bad because you don't want to increase the chances of intervening.  Plus I think he also made the point that he thinks our actions have somehow destabilized the region (and that it would be better off without us getting involved).
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on July 21, 2014, 12:53:18 PM

"Libertarians" are not defined by whatever the dumbest, kookiest thing you can find some libertarian saying. Any more than Republicans are defined by Sarah Palin, or Democrats by Michael Moore.

Libertarians became libertarians because the government cracked down on fascism?

Dguller has a point.  There are libertarians like you, who actually believe in liberty and libertarians who want to weaken the Federal government because they want to shift power from national elites to the local elites.  By happy coincidence they happened to be the local elites. These are the "states rights" libertarians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Stand by to be told that there is something wrong with you because you disagree with Gully's point.  :cool:

I would note that, really, the big difference between DGuller and Paul isn't political, but simply that Paul is willing to admit that he might be wrong:
Quote"Of course it is entirely possible that the Obama administration and the US media has it right this time, and Russia or the separatists in eastern Ukraine either purposely or inadvertently shot down this aircraft," he wrote.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

I don't wonder why you or grumbler claim that.  I have a pretty good idea why you do that.
Quote"Libertarians" are not defined by whatever the dumbest, kookiest thing you can find some libertarian saying. Any more than Republicans are defined by Sarah Palin, or Democrats by Michael Moore.
I have seen enough libertarians on the Internet constantly reference RT articles that I feel comfortable drawing a generalization beyond just one kook like Ron Paul.
QuoteLibertarians became libertarians because the government cracked down on fascism?

You missed both "old school" qualifier, as well as the intentional quoting.  I don't really think that John Birch Society is in any way truly libertarian, hence the quotes.  Yes, I do think that a lot of people started to claim being libertarian when the federal government cracked down on Jim Crow, and they didn't much care for it.  The younger libertarians drafted in obviously fit a different mold, but to some extent they do inherit some positions from the old farts without knowing the motivations for those positions.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on July 21, 2014, 12:53:18 PMAnd you wonder why you get blasted so often for tribalistic bullshit.

There does seem to be a strain of US libertarianism that has a hard on for strong men like Putin and who seem pretty selective in the way they apply their freedom loving. Ron Paul is one such. It is a funny kind of libertarianism.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on July 21, 2014, 01:12:46 PM
Dguller has a point.  There are libertarians like you, who actually believe in liberty and libertarians who want to weaken the Federal government because they want to shift power from national elites to the local elites.  By happy coincidence they happened to be the local elites. These are the "states rights" libertarians.

Those kind of folks generally call themselves libertarian in addition to, but not in preference to conservative.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

Yeah, I've considered his post, and clearly he is right - libertarians are really just fascists. That is the only possible conclusion for anyone thinking clearly about what the term means, and what the people who describe themselves as "libertarian" believe.

0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 21, 2014, 01:12:59 PM
Speesh: nice try to defend the guy, but that was a dumbass comment by Paul.

I wasn't defending him; just explaining what I think motivated his comments.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 21, 2014, 01:47:02 PM
Yeah, I've considered his post, and clearly he is right - libertarians are really just fascists. That is the only possible conclusion for anyone thinking clearly about what the term means, and what the people who describe themselves as "libertarian" believe.
Are you really this fucking insane?  The big part of why you and grumbler keep calling me tribal, aside from it being your favorite empty insult, is that you do a really good job at reading what you want to read, and not what was actually written.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on July 21, 2014, 02:23:36 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 21, 2014, 01:47:02 PM
Are you really this fucking insane?  The big part of why you and grumbler keep calling me tribal, aside from it being your favorite empty insult, is that you do a really good job at reading what you want to read, and not what was actually written.

Right, I am sure you mean something else entirely when you trotted out how libertarians came about because of the feds cracking down on fascism, and how you "aren't surprised" that libertarians are in bed with fascists.

Not that you aren't surprised Paul is in bed with fascists, but libertarians in general - Paul is, of course, typical of "libertarians".

Of course, you got one part right - this is just your personal, and well known, bias speaking.

0 rows returned