BREAKING NEWS - Malaysian airliner crashes on Russian-Ukrainian border

Started by Tamas, July 17, 2014, 10:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

DGuller

Quote from: dps on July 25, 2014, 09:41:41 AM
D'uh.  It's a T-34--it says so right on it, except the silly Russians have the number off by 2.
Russians never were good at fit and finish with their tanks.

DGuller

The Minsky Moment

Judging from the reaction of one of the guys on the tank, it seems like it is ineffective in repelling bird poop.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2014, 09:48:38 AM
Judging from the reaction of one of the guys on the tank, it seems like it is ineffective in repelling bird poop.
:lol:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2014, 09:48:38 AM

CAS rocks. Close Air Shitting

derspiess

Quote from: Agelastus on July 25, 2014, 09:43:30 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 25, 2014, 01:21:45 AM
In celebration of the eminent Russian invasion of Ukraine,

What is it? Six key features will give you the base model and variant.

[spoiler]try w/o googling [/spoiler]

T-72M?

I'm gonna guess some sort of modernized T-64.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:39:40 AM

T-72M?

My best thought, without cheating, is T-80BV, but I don't think that model has reactive armor.  Its definitely in the T-64/T-80 family, though.  The hull and turret have that wide, thin, squashed look.

11B4V

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 25, 2014, 11:26:59 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2014, 10:39:40 AM

T-72M?

My best thought, without cheating, is T-80BV, but I don't think that model has reactive armor.  Its definitely in the T-64/T-80 family, though.  The hull and turret have that wide, thin, squashed look.

It's a T-64BV. Actually not very modernized. Those are Kontakt-1 ERA
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: 11B4V on July 25, 2014, 02:07:59 AM
Extra credit. Hint: It's Russian of course.

Four key features will give you the base model.  One feature will give you the variant

and this?

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Berkut

I've always wondered about reactive armor - is it dangerous in general?

I mean, it is pretty much explosives attached all over the tank, right?

Do they ever go off when you would not want them to?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

11B4V

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2014, 11:56:35 AM
I've always wondered about reactive armor - is it dangerous in general?

I mean, it is pretty much explosives attached all over the tank, right?

Do they ever go off when you would not want them to?

I dont believe so. ERA is passive not active. However I would not want to be near the tank when it took a hit and that shit explodes.

The Arena and older Drozd system is an example of an active protection system

derspiess

Do .50 cal rounds set off reactive armor or is that just a fun myth?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall