News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

DARPA developes self-guided sniper bullets

Started by jimmy olsen, July 17, 2014, 06:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on July 20, 2014, 02:11:09 AM
Don't intervene.  Let them bleed each other.

Bleed?  I am i a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  This isn't a matter of bleeding, it is a dancing weasel show. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2014, 09:49:34 AM
Actually, I noted that he and Hans may both be tribal in their thinking.  Does this mean that I am implying that Hans favors strict gun control?
Supremely clever.
QuoteNow, you will note from my post that what i was actually "accusing" DG and Hans of was "contempt for opinions other than your own, and... over-use of hyperbole."  Guller has not disputed either of those.  :D
Can't dispute every accusation, that would make the thread grow exponentially.  Every rebuttal brings in two counter-accusations, so I have to let some go.
QuoteBleed?  I am i a battle of wits with an unarmed man.  This isn't a matter of bleeding, it is a dancing weasel show.
At least we agree on the nature of the discussion.  I imagine we disagree on the identity of the witless weasel, though.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 10:11:49 AM
At least we agree on the nature of the discussion.  I imagine we disagree on the identity of the witless weasel, though.

If we do, you are the only one in doubt.  So far, you have made zero points and I have at least two of three, with the third (whether "tribal thinking" imples "ardently pro-con-control") in contention.  And the third one is about to be won, as well, I think.  To wit:

The classic example of tribal thinking, to me, comes out in almost any discussion of our respective alma maters (or, in the case, of MBM, the Big Twelve conference).  We don't allow mere evidence to persuade us that any given school is, overall, better than our alma mater (or, in MBM's case, that the assignment of TV rights doesn't inescapably lock in Big Twelve members), and that's pretty much the definition of tribal thinking:  following the tribe's conclusions rather than thinking about something objectively.  That has nothing whatsoever to do with gun control. Ergo, a mere reference to tribal thinking does not imply anything about a position on gun control.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

I don't think you can convincingly label anybody's thinking as "tribal" without being able to identify the tribe to which they belong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2014, 01:44:37 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 10:11:49 AM

If we do, you are the only one in doubt.  So far, you have made zero points and I have at least two of three, with the third (whether "tribal thinking" imples "ardently pro-con-control") in contention.  And the third one is about to be won, as well, I think.  To wit:

The classic example of tribal thinking, to me, comes out in almost any discussion of our respective alma maters (or, in the case, of MBM, the Big Twelve conference).  We don't allow mere evidence to persuade us that any given school is, overall, better than our alma mater (or, in MBM's case, that the assignment of TV rights doesn't inescapably lock in Big Twelve members), and that's pretty much the definition of tribal thinking:  following the tribe's conclusions rather than thinking about something objectively.  That has nothing whatsoever to do with gun control. Ergo, a mere reference to tribal thinking does not imply anything about a position on gun control.
Yes, you're a real winner.

Not sure how any of the things you posted are relevant or follow.  All I've done to set you off on this bizarre rant is express deep disdain for the typical gun nuts' arguments.  That disdain comes from my intolerance of extremely poor arguments based on both shoddy facts and shoddy logical chain, not from any tribal allegiance that I may have.  Gun nuts do have some of the worst arguments we hear in public discourse, because they're trying to pass off costly cultural preference that they feel extremely strongly about as free lunch.

Razgovory

Sometimes I wonder if Grumbler can really have so little self-awareness.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 02:00:26 PM
Yes, you're a real winner.

Given that you are no longer contesting my third point, either, I'd say that, yes, I am.  :showoff:

QuoteNot sure how any of the things you posted are relevant or follow.

I know you aren't sure how to follow an argument. Don't let it worry you; your posting style doesn't depend on that ability, it seems to me. :console:   

QuoteAll I've done to set you off on this bizarre rant is express deep disdain for the typical gun nuts' arguments.  That disdain comes from my intolerance of extremely poor arguments based on both shoddy facts and shoddy logical chain, not from any tribal allegiance that I may have.  Gun nuts do have some of the worst arguments we hear in public discourse, because they're trying to pass off costly cultural preference that they feel extremely strongly about as free lunch.

That rant about how " if we're all going to be willfully obtuse while pretending to discuss things, then this forum is not going to be a very enjoyable place?"  That wasn't me.  And the quote you so disdain was a great example of bullshit hyperbole (almost identical to your own bullshit hyperbole, but from the other tribe).  Hypocrite much?

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2014, 04:06:36 PM
Given that you are no longer contesting my third point, either, I'd say that, yes, I am.  :showoff:
This isn't an endurance contest.  You don't get to win by repeating an idiotic point n + 1 times when it's refuted only n times.  Some of us do have other things to occupy our time.
QuoteI know you aren't sure how to follow an argument. Don't let it worry you; your posting style doesn't depend on that ability, it seems to me. :console:   
Charming.
QuoteThat rant about how " if we're all going to be willfully obtuse while pretending to discuss things, then this forum is not going to be a very enjoyable place?"  That wasn't me.
Yes, you got me, that was me.  It wasn't a rant, though, it was more an expression of exasperation.  Maintaining a conversation with you is a very difficult task for a number of reasons, and one of the bigger reasons is your lack of desire to communicate in good faith.  If something can be misinterpreted, because it wasn't written like an Apple EUA, it will be misinterpreted by you in an attempt to make what you think is a convincing point.  It actually appears extremely pathetic, not that you're able to appreciate it, but that doesn't really make it more enjoyable to me.

Ed Anger

DG wants the plans for these magic bullets to send to his masters in Moscow.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 05:34:10 PM
Yes, you got me, that was me.  It wasn't a rant, though, it was more an expression of exasperation.  Maintaining a conversation with you is a very difficult task for a number of reasons, and one of the bigger reasons is your lack of desire to communicate in good faith.  If something can be misinterpreted, because it wasn't written like an Apple EUA, it will be misinterpreted by you in an attempt to make what you think is a convincing point.  It actually appears extremely pathetic, not that you're able to appreciate it, but that doesn't really make it more enjoyable to me.

The Dancing Weasel dances.  You say stupid shit, I call you on it, and thus it is somehow my fault that you have to eat your words!  :lol:  I have misinterpreted nothing you have said; you have said silly shit about what I have said (note that i could provide several examples of rants, like the one I used, or a rant that went on about "fanatically idiotic arguments in support of gun fetishism," while you merely fling shit without providing any examples).  I think I know who is intellectually dishonest in this discussion, and whose arguments and weaseling is "extremely pathetic," but go ahead and continue to pretend that it is me, because I love that shit.  Once you turn to making the argument about me (and I note that Mongers is silent on this obvious ad hom argument  :lol:), I know that it is because, though you have run out of intellectual arguments, you are too stubborn to stop.  Pray, continue.  Add in the bit about how you were traumatized by being accused of being dishonest as a kid.  That was a howler, and I don't remember exactly how it goes.

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2014, 07:34:16 PM
DG wants the plans for these magic bullets to send to his masters in Moscow.

I thought they put the pistol right up to the head in Moscow.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 20, 2014, 07:49:25 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 05:34:10 PM

The Dancing Weasel dances.  You say stupid shit, I call you on it, and thus it is somehow my fault that you have to eat your words!  :lol:  I have misinterpreted nothing you have said; you have said silly shit about what I have said (note that i could provide several examples of rants, like the one I used, or a rant that went on about "fanatically idiotic arguments in support of gun fetishism," while you merely fling shit without providing any examples).  I think I know who is intellectually dishonest in this discussion, and whose arguments and weaseling is "extremely pathetic," but go ahead and continue to pretend that it is me, because I love that shit.  Once you turn to making the argument about me (and I note that Mongers is silent on this obvious ad hom argument  :lol:), I know that it is because, though you have run out of intellectual arguments, you are too stubborn to stop.  Pray, continue.  Add in the bit about how you were traumatized by being accused of being dishonest as a kid.  That was a howler, and I don't remember exactly how it goes.
Seriously, what is your problem?  You've gone off half-cocked at me with no provocation, and seem very determined to keep it personal.  I really don't get that. 

Yes, eventually such a behavior does turn around to be a discussion about you, and generally not a very flattering one.  I wonder why.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 07:57:42 PM
Seriously, what is your problem?  You've gone off half-cocked at me with no provocation, and seem very determined to keep it personal.  I really don't get that. 

Yes, eventually such a behavior does turn around to be a discussion about you, and generally not a very flattering one.  I wonder why.

Seriously, I love watching weasels dance.  It's not a problem, as long as there are weasels.  Pray continue the ad homs.  I love those, as well.  :cool:

Bayraktar!

mongers

What an intellectual tour de force.  :cool:

Game, set and match to Grumbler.  :showoff:

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 21, 2014, 01:40:46 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 20, 2014, 07:57:42 PM

Seriously, I love watching weasels dance.  It's not a problem, as long as there are weasels.  Pray continue the ad homs.  I love those, as well.  :cool:
Dude, you're the one who went in guns blazing with ad homs, right from the very first post.  Still not sure exactly what I've done to set you off.