And we're back!

Main Menu

DARPA developes self-guided sniper bullets

Started by jimmy olsen, July 17, 2014, 06:14:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2014, 01:45:08 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 02:24:15 AM
Making fun of comments by gun nuts is like making fun of Russian state news on Ukraine.  It's so easy it's boring, and both leave you scared because plenty of zombified fanatics actually believe that shit.

:lol:  You and Hans are practically twins in your thinking.  Only your tribal allegiances differ; your contempt for opinions other than your own, and your over-use of hyperbole, are identical. 

I don't want to discourage you (or Hans), but I want to help the rest of the forum see how funny you guys are.
:jaron:  Do you and Berkut get paid per each use of "tribal" and "Drazi"?

And just like Berkut usually does, you're so blinded in your desire to invoke tribalism that you misidentified my position on the issue as well;  I'm not so much against gun ownership as I am against fanatically idiotic arguments in support of gun fetishism.  I concede that gun ownership in US is here to stay;  I just wish gun fetishists conceded that this is a cultural choice of ours that costs tens of thousands of lives each year, and not babble on about how the safest society is the one where everyone is trained to use AK-47 at age 8.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: DGI just wish gun fetishists conceded that this is a cultural choice of ours that costs tens of thousands of lives each year, and not babble on about how the safest society is the one where everyone is trained to use AK-47 at age 8.

There'd be more job openings in that society.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 04:25:34 PM

Nope.  Do you and Hans get paid a each time you engage in bullshit hyperbole?

QuoteAnd just like Berkut usually does, you're so blinded in your desire to invoke tribalism that you misidentified my position on the issue as well;  I'm not so much against gun ownership as I am against fanatically idiotic arguments in support of gun fetishism.

Somebody owes you some money!  :lmfao:

I didn't identify any position for you, but you are so blinded by your bullshit hyperbole that you probably couldn't even see that.  I don't care about your "position;: I laugh at your bullshit, which is pretty much identical to Hans's, except (apparently) deployed in defense of a different position.  I say "apparently" because neither of you actually seems to have an intellectual argument, just a line of shit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2014, 05:06:28 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 04:25:34 PM

Nope.  Do you and Hans get paid a each time you engage in bullshit hyperbole?

QuoteAnd just like Berkut usually does, you're so blinded in your desire to invoke tribalism that you misidentified my position on the issue as well;  I'm not so much against gun ownership as I am against fanatically idiotic arguments in support of gun fetishism.

Somebody owes you some money!  :lmfao:

I didn't identify any position for you, but you are so blinded by your bullshit hyperbole that you probably couldn't even see that.  I don't care about your "position;: I laugh at your bullshit, which is pretty much identical to Hans's, except (apparently) deployed in defense of a different position.  I say "apparently" because neither of you actually seems to have an intellectual argument, just a line of shit.
The position was implied by the use of "tribal".  Then again, given the propensity to throw this term around meaninglessly, I may have been wrong to read into any implication.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 05:15:44 PM
The position was implied by the use of "tribal".  Then again, given the propensity to throw this term around meaninglessly, I may have been wrong to read into any implication.

No, "tribal" is not a position.  Knowing, now, that you don't even know the meaning of the word, your extreme irritation at its use is even more amusing!  :lol:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2014, 05:58:37 PM

No, "tribal" is not a position.  Knowing, now, that you don't even know the meaning of the word, your extreme irritation at its use is even more amusing!  :lol:
You know what?  You have the right to call me anything, that's your opinion, and we're all expressing opinions here.  But if we're all going to be willfully obtuse while pretending to discuss things, then this forum is not going to be a very enjoyable place.  I think you understand well enough that I was never operating under a misconception that "tribal" is a position, and that your post was a pointless attempt to score a point.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 17, 2014, 06:14:12 AM
Isn't it just cheaper to teach people to aim?

The EXACTO system consists of a maneuverable bullet, as well as a real-time optical guidance component that can track and direct the bullet to the target. The system makes it easier for snipers to hit a moving target, DARPA officials say.

The system also allows a bullet that has already been fired to compensate for any unexpected factors that may have driven it off course, such as a strong gust of wind, rain or a dust storm.

The system was designed with the dusty terrain and high winds of Afghanistan in mind, according to DARPA. Agency officials have said snipers in Afghanistan need rifles with greater accuracy, because every shot that doesn't hit its mark could potentially expose the location of the sniper, and put the lives of both the shooter and nearby troops in danger.

No amount of training allows a sniper compensate for events that occur after the shot is taken.

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 06:10:20 PM
You know what?  You have the right to call me anything, that's your opinion, and we're all expressing opinions here.  But if we're all going to be willfully obtuse while pretending to discuss things, then this forum is not going to be a very enjoyable place.  I think you understand well enough that I was never operating under a misconception that "tribal" is a position, and that your post was a pointless attempt to score a point.

:jaron:

Yoiu yourself said that
QuoteThe position was implied by the use of "tribal".
Now, if you are going to be willfully moronic and then try to weasel out of your moronic statements, this forum is... well, it actually will continue to be a very enjoyable place, because there's nothing more fun than a dancing weasel.  Now, you can blame the moronic nature of your statements on the readers if you want, but that's just going to make people laugh harder.  The redundancy is good, but would have been better if written "a pointless failed attempt to futilely score a point."

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2014, 08:13:15 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 19, 2014, 06:10:20 PM

:jaron:

Yoiu yourself said that
QuoteThe position was implied by the use of "tribal".
Now, if you are going to be willfully moronic and then try to weasel out of your moronic statements, this forum is... well, it actually will continue to be a very enjoyable place, because there's nothing more fun than a dancing weasel.  Now, you can blame the moronic nature of your statements on the readers if you want, but that's just going to make people laugh harder.  The redundancy is good, but would have been better if written "a pointless failed attempt to futilely score a point."
Position being implied by accusing me of tribalism does not make tribalism a position.  And the bolded statement is actually not redundant.

Do you have anything else, or have you reached the bottom of your barrel?

Razgovory

There is a fairly good size ravine where a barrel once stood.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Eddie Teach

Guller's tribe takes the position that more gun control is needed. Thus by accusing him of tribalism in a discussion regarding gun control, you are implying that he takes that position.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Don't intervene.  Let them bleed each other.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 20, 2014, 01:16:25 AM

Guller's tribe takes the position that more gun control is needed. Thus by accusing him of tribalism in a discussion regarding gun control, you are implying that he takes that position.

Actually, I noted that he and Hans may both be tribal in their thinking.  Does this mean that I am implying that Hans favors strict gun control?  Tribal thinking can mean many things, just as "magical thinking" doesn't necessarily imply Catholic.

And note that you are actually more "accusing" than I am in your tribalism statements, since you actually refer to "Guller's tribe," whereas I just noted that "yor tibal allegiances may differ."  :D

Now, you will note from my post that what i was actually "accusing" DG and Hans of was "contempt for opinions other than your own, and... over-use of hyperbole."  Guller has not disputed either of those.  :D

Bayraktar!