Tesla's to unveil $35K Model in 2016; will go on sale in 2017

Started by jimmy olsen, July 16, 2014, 08:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM

At least their PR is world-class as they get all the press when others actually sell more electric cars in the US:
They've only been selling them for two years. Of course their cumulative sales are going to be lower, however they've taken quite a respectable slice of the market, especially given the high price they're charging.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:45:16 AM
I am not surprised that the management companies won't allow the installation of chargers in carparks.  Cars in HK are parked bumper to bumper.  If you buy a carparking space, you only purchase the rights within that rectangle.  No more.  But if you install a charger there, you have to have cables of some sort.  That is occupying other people's property. Unless you have a wireless electricity connection ( :D).

Tesla would seem appropriately named then. ;)
https://news.vice.com/article/chinas-horrific-air-quality-prompts-its-government-to-purchase-electric-cars
The Chinese government revealed a new mandate requiring at least 30 percent of all automobiles purchased by the government to be electric or "new energy" vehicles by 2016, according to an official announcement made on Sunday.Unsurprisingly, the news gave electric car company stocks a boost.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

Unless you have a wireless electricity connection ( :D).
Being developed by joint-venture of BMW and Mercedes at the moment.

EDIT: And by Audi, Mitsubishi, Toyota etc. in separate projects. The next Prius is supposed to have a wireless charger.

Zanza

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 17, 2014, 03:02:38 AM
They've only been selling them for two years. Of course their cumulative sales are going to be lower, however they've taken quite a respectable slice of the market, especially given the high price they're charging.
They wanted to sell 7.500 cars in Q2 and I can't even find any figures if they actually pulled that off. That's what GM sells in 7 hours or BMW .

Their high market-share figures come from the fact that they deliberately pick a very small segment of the competition (and the wrong segment if you ask me).

Caliga

The solution to Mono's problem is to bulldoze Hong Kong and rebuild it from scratch.  Preferably with 90% less people. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Monoriu

Quote from: Caliga on July 17, 2014, 05:09:25 AM
The solution to Mono's problem is to bulldoze Hong Kong and rebuild it from scratch.  Preferably with 90% less people. :)

I have a slightly simpler solution: electric cars are none of my business :contract:

Caliga

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:56:29 AM
Quote from: frunk on July 17, 2014, 02:49:40 AM
I am not surprised that the management companies won't allow the installation of chargers in carparks.  Cars in HK are parked bumper to bumper.  If you buy a carparking space, you only purchase the rights within that rectangle.  No more.  But if you install a charger there, you have to have cables of some sort.  That is occupying other people's property.  Unless you can have a wireless electricity connection ( :D).

You don't need a charger, all you need is a wall socket, like you have in your house.

Suppose my car is in the middle of this picture.  Just where do you propose the "wall socket" should be located?  And how do I install the wall socket without somehow running cables through another owner's space?

When there will be enough demand for it, the car park owners will rebuild them with chargers in mind. Even tho everyone here seems hell bent on convincing you that HK must be some kind of precursor to the massive adoption of the electric car, China is not a country that will be a the forefront. It'll be that last holdout of dinopower car.

USA and Europe is where it matters.

My problem with Electric car is the massively reduce range at cold temperature and the need for heat then. My 200 miles Tesla 3 becomes a 20 miles Tesla 3. That's not viable.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

When there will be enough demand for it, the car park owners will rebuild them with chargers in mind.

Ok, this is a rather typical housing estate in HK.  To build it, you first drill tons of pills say 200m downward until they reach solid bedrock.  Then you build a podium of, say, 6-8 floors above it.  Then you build buildings on top of the podium.  The carpark is inside the podium.  You can't just demolish the carparks and "rebuild" them.

The carparks are managed by a management company.  They "own" all the public spaces, corridors and lifts.  But each individual carpark is owned separately.  So unless you secure approval of absolutely everybody, there is almost no hope of rebuilding the carpark. 

Grey Fox

Enough demand can make anything happen. Sure it'll be hard but it'll still happen.

Monoriu

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2014, 08:55:48 AM
Enough demand can make anything happen. Sure it'll be hard but it'll still happen.

The carpark doesn't operate on a commercial basis.  It is owned by the people living above.  There is no profit motive to cater to new demand.  If I am one of the individual parking space owners, and I don't own an electric vehicle, I won't agree to rebuild the carpark, and you can't rebuild it without my agreement. 

Grey Fox

But you will own an electric car, your wife will make sure of that, just like all your neighbors.

frunk

If Hong Kong really has built an infrastructure that is incapable of supporting electric cars then in 20-30 years they'll either have to rebuild the city or be squeezed into clinging to an outdated technology. 

I don't think that's true though.  In order to run electricity to the car park would not require demolition of the structure, since presumably it already has electricity running to the buildings.  It won't be an overnight thing, but it won't be an overnight thing in the rest of the world either.  It's a case of the environment becoming more and more friendly to electric cars until it really isn't an issue anymore.

DGuller

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 08:48:31 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 17, 2014, 07:29:22 AM

When there will be enough demand for it, the car park owners will rebuild them with chargers in mind.

Ok, this is a rather typical housing estate in HK.  To build it, you first drill tons of pills say 200m downward until they reach solid bedrock.  Then you build a podium of, say, 6-8 floors above it.  Then you build buildings on top of the podium.  The carpark is inside the podium.  You can't just demolish the carparks and "rebuild" them.

The carparks are managed by a management company.  They "own" all the public spaces, corridors and lifts.  But each individual carpark is owned separately.  So unless you secure approval of absolutely everybody, there is almost no hope of rebuilding the carpark.
:bleeding: I really hate that blue glass facade fashion.  Has there been a single building in the world with it that aged well, and didn't start looking like an abandoned warehouse 5 years after being built?