Tesla's to unveil $35K Model in 2016; will go on sale in 2017

Started by jimmy olsen, July 16, 2014, 08:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Monoriu

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jaron on July 17, 2014, 01:24:44 AM
How much are your apartments? 500/month almost gets you an apartment here (in Utah). :P

:yes:

It boggles the mind that someone who claims to be as cheap as Mono does would choose to live in a major city like Hong Kong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Monoriu

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 17, 2014, 01:47:07 AM
Quote from: Jaron on July 17, 2014, 01:24:44 AM
How much are your apartments? 500/month almost gets you an apartment here (in Utah). :P

:yes:

It boggles the mind that someone who claims to be as cheap as Mono does would choose to live in a major city like Hong Kong.

I grow up here.  I am educated here.  My entire upbringing is designed for a career here.  Somebody here made the grave mistake of hiring me.  I couldn't find a job in Canada, so I moved back.  I don't really choose to live here. 

Zanza

It will be interesting to see how Tesla develops. Recently their sales stagnated despite the extremely posivite PR they get. I am sure they'll be able to ramp up production, but it will be interesting to see if they can do so and stay profitable. Once they move from a niché brand to a mainstream brand, it will also be interesting to see how they square their direct sales model with repair/warranty work.

At least their PR is world-class as they get all the press when others actually sell more electric cars in the US:

Zanza

I am a regular driver of electric cars in a city and it's perfect for cities. Much better than a gasoline car.

I think Hong Kong would be perfect for electric cars. Installing charging stations should definitely be feasible from what I saw. The sheer concentration actually makes it easier to install such infrastructure compared to the spread out suburban sprawl in the US.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 01:59:49 AM
I am a regular driver of electric cars in a city and it's perfect for cities. Much better than a gasoline car.

I think Hong Kong would be perfect for electric cars. Installing charging stations should definitely be feasible from what I saw. The sheer concentration actually makes it easier to install such infrastructure compared to the spread out suburban sprawl in the US.

I'd like to hear your take on why it hasn't happened yet  :)

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:04:26 AM
Because the technology is only developed and deployed just now? There are quite a few electric vehicles from Chinese manufacturers (e.g. BYD) either already in the market or at least in the pipeline. The central government in Beijing is heavily pushing electric vehicles. Earlier or later, they'll push it in Hong Kong as well. Give it five to ten more years.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 02:15:55 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:04:26 AM
Because the technology is only developed and deployed just now? There are quite a few electric vehicles from Chinese manufacturers (e.g. BYD) either already in the market or at least in the pipeline. The central government in Beijing is heavily pushing electric vehicles. Earlier or later, they'll push it in Hong Kong as well. Give it five to ten more years.

http://hub.hku.hk/handle/10722/174585

QuoteWhen asking a question who killed Electric Car (EV) in USA? Most American treated car manufacture and Oil Company was the murderer who killed the growth of EV. However, it is not the case in Hong Kong. This research found the major obstacles for promoting Electric Car in Hong Kong are: Lack of home EV charger, outstanding high price of EV and legal dispute for using EV on the high way. Surprisingly, property management company and owner committee were identified as the killer of EV in Hong Kong, as most drivers expressed that their property management company and owner committee would suspend the installation of EV charger at residential building which turn down their interest to buy an EV. In this research, 100 drivers were interviewed for their opinion toward the EV development in Hong Kong. Also, the managing director Mr. Lawrence Chan and the EV Hotline Centre manager, Mr. C.Y. Luk from Electrical and Mechanical Services Department (EMSD) were also interviewed for this topic.

Zanza

This guy is not impressed by the resistance of property managers and home owners:

If they want to push it, they'll just make the installation of chargers mandatory.

frunk

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
At least their PR is world-class as they get all the press when others actually sell more electric cars in the US:

A lot of those are hybrids, which although interesting strike me as combining most of the drawbacks of gas and electric with not enough of the benefits of either one.

Monoriu

I am not surprised that the management companies won't allow the installation of chargers in carparks.  Cars in HK are parked bumper to bumper.  If you buy a carparking space, you only purchase the rights within that rectangle.  No more.  But if you install a charger there, you have to have cables of some sort.  That is occupying other people's property.  Unless you have a wireless electricity connection ( :D). 

frunk

Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:45:16 AM
I am not surprised that the management companies won't allow the installation of chargers in carparks.  Cars in HK are parked bumper to bumper.  If you buy a carparking space, you only purchase the rights within that rectangle.  No more.  But if you install a charger there, you have to have cables of some sort.  That is occupying other people's property.  Unless you can have a wireless electricity connection ( :D).

You don't need a charger, all you need is a wall socket, like you have in your house.

Monoriu

Quote from: Zanza on July 17, 2014, 02:39:54 AM

If they want to push it, they'll just make the installation of chargers mandatory.

Contrary to popular belief, the communists aren't omnipowerful.  They have to pick their battles, and I can't imagine electric cars being terribly high on their agenda.  Even if they make it mandatory, I doubt if they can really enforce it.  I am sure there is a mandatory requirement that all milk sold in China must be safe for consumption, but reality is kinda different. 

And their mandatory requirements don't apply to HK. 

Monoriu

Quote from: frunk on July 17, 2014, 02:49:40 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on July 17, 2014, 02:45:16 AM
I am not surprised that the management companies won't allow the installation of chargers in carparks.  Cars in HK are parked bumper to bumper.  If you buy a carparking space, you only purchase the rights within that rectangle.  No more.  But if you install a charger there, you have to have cables of some sort.  That is occupying other people's property.  Unless you can have a wireless electricity connection ( :D).

You don't need a charger, all you need is a wall socket, like you have in your house.

Suppose my car is in the middle of this picture.  Just where do you propose the "wall socket" should be located?  And how do I install the wall socket without somehow running cables through another owner's space?