And we're back!

Main Menu

Jack the Ripper unmasked

Started by Solmyr, September 07, 2014, 10:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 08, 2014, 08:19:45 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 07, 2014, 06:52:51 PM
The conclusion that it was the Pole doesn't seem airtight in the least.  Color me skeptical.
How so? The  victim's blood is on the shawl and so is a man's semen. DNA matches the Pole.
Well she was a hooker.  Maybe he took her to pound town at some time before her murder? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Also, the tests and stuff could be fake.  A while back a diary was 'discovered' by some dude named Maybrick where he confessed to being the Ripper but it turned out to have been a fabrication.

Malthus

Hasn't the Ripper been unmasked by DNA evidence before?

Quote"Cornwell found her most tangible support from a modern investigative technique: DNA testing. She visited Scotland Yard and examined several hundred documents and letters supposedly written by Jack the Ripper. Cornwell and Ripperologists are aware that most (if not all) of these letters were written by people other than the murderer. Letters from people claiming to be Jack the Ripper were sent to Scotland Yard into the 1960s, in fact. (Sickert, incidentally, died in 1942.) Some of the earliest letter forgers -- two of whom were women -- were arrested around the time of the murders [source: Ryder].

When the DNA test results were returned to Cornwell, she found a match. She had results from Ripper letters compared to samples taken from some of Sickert's known correspondence. She found a match among mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) that ruled out 99 percent of the human population, but not Sickert [source: SPT]. Mitochondrial DNA doesn't degrade as easily as nuclear DNA. This is significant, considering the Ripper letters that provided matches had been written a century before."

http://history.howstuffworks.com/history-vs-myth/jack-the-ripper-artist1.htm

Of course, the last time he was unmasked by DNA, it was a different guy ...  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.  The Sickert theory is preposterous.  IIRC he was living in France when most of the murders occurred. :sleep:

The Brain

DNA didn't exist in the 19th century.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

I am SHOCKED that trying to ride on the latest craze of East Europeans fear mongering in the UK, somebody would dust this off. SHOCKED.

I bet the common cold came here from Eastern Europe as well.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2014, 10:09:52 AM
I am SHOCKED that trying to ride on the latest craze of East Europeans fear mongering in the UK, somebody would dust this off. SHOCKED.

I did no such thing.  :mad:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Eastern European Jews are murderers. Film at 11.

You-know-who was right after all.  :hmm:

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2014, 08:26:52 AM
Bloody Poles, coming over here, taking our jobs and benefits, murdering our prostitutes...

Wouldn't murdering prostitutes improve the job market? At least if Ide is right...  :hmm:

Siege

I withdraw my vote to reinstate Martinus.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2014, 10:09:52 AM

In fairness the guy wasn't Romanian :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Caliga

Here's some music to listen to in another tab while reading about this.

http://youtu.be/coLvuP7hQCA

Caliga

Last I checked this claim was getting torn up left and right by Ripperologists.  Not surprising, since those guys no longer have steady income if the mystery gets solved.... and let's face it, it'll stop being so interesting if they mystery is ever solved.

All of the principal players in the Jack the Ripper drama are long dead, including the Ripper himself (herself?), so I'm not sure what the main motivation would be in solving this crime now other than bragging rights/book sales for the person who ends up solving it.

mongers

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2014, 01:02:40 PM
Last I checked this claim was getting torn up left and right by Ripperologists.  Not surprising, since those guys no longer have steady income if the mystery gets solved.... and let's face it, it'll stop being so interesting if they mystery is ever solved.

All of the principal players in the Jack the Ripper drama are long dead, including the Ripper himself (herself?), so I'm not sure what the main motivation would be in solving this crime now other than bragging rights/book sales for the person who ends up solving it.

So you're saying Jack the Ripper was a frustrated publisher of pulp?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2014, 01:02:40 PM
so I'm not sure what the main motivation would be in solving this crime now other than bragging rights/book sales for the person who ends up solving it.

To demonstrate the danger of allowing Poles to live in London.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."