News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM
How many of you would be inclined to trudge to the polls for an election where one of two candidates was expected to win 97% of the vote?

Well if I got a hold of a roll of those "I voted" stickers, I'd never take part in another election.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

i've never voted. maybe next (presidential) election i will!  :)

alfred russel

I used to love those paper ballots where I could ambiguously vote for different candidates (for example, only partially detaching the support for one candidate, and leaving a circled dimple for the other) knowing that I was contributing to chaos in the event of a recount.

Electronic voting has really taken a lot of the purpose out of voting for me.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 29, 2014, 08:22:17 PM
How many of you would be inclined to trudge to the polls for an election where one of two candidates was expected to win 97% of the vote?

Being from WV, that pretty much described general elections during my youth.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on May 29, 2014, 09:55:04 PM
I used to love those paper ballots where I could ambiguously vote for different candidates (for example, only partially detaching the support for one candidate, and leaving a circled dimple for the other) knowing that I was contributing to chaos in the event of a recount.

Electronic voting has really taken a lot of the purpose out of voting for me.

And yet, he claims he's not an anti-social sociopath.

DGuller

Savonarola

The UN, shirking the white man's burden:

QuoteDeadly clashes erupt in Libya, airports shut down

The violence forced the United Nations to pull its staff from the country, though it says the move is temporary

July 14, 2014 9:00PM ET

The United Nations on Monday pulled its staff out of Libya where at least 10 people were killed Monday in fighting in the eastern city of Benghazi and in the capital Tripoli, forcing the closure of the international airport. The fighting was the worst in Tripoli for six months.

In Benghazi, at least four people have been killed and 30 wounded — mostly civilians — in heavy fighting between state security forces and rebels since late Sunday. Forces loyal to renegade former general Khalifa Haftar bombarded rebel bases there as part of his campaign to oust rivals. At least 10 houses were hit with missiles, and government offices and banks were forced to close.

Militias also clashed in the capital Tripoli on Sunday, killing at least six people and injuring 25, shutting the main airport and air control center and effectively leaving Libya with no international flights.

The United Nations mission in Libya said the closure of Tripoli International Airport and the deteriorating security situation made it impossible to fulfill its work. In a statement posted on its official website, the U.N. Support Mission in Libya said that the mission had already been reducing its staff in the country over the past week.

"This is a temporary measure. Staff will return as soon as security conditions permit. The United Nations, which stood by the Libyan people in their revolution in 2011, will not abandon them as they seek to build a democratic state," the statement read.

It added: "The United Nations looks forward to continuing to work with its Libyan partners and hopes to return to Tripoli as soon as possible."

Three years after the fall of Moammar Gadhafi, Libya has slipped deeper into chaos with its weak government and new army unable to control brigades of former rebel fighters and militias who often battle for political and economic power. The militias, many of which originate from rebel forces that fought Gadhafi, became powerful players in post-war Libya, filling a void left by weak police and a shattered army struggling to keep control of the airport.

Since Sunday, rival militias have been fighting for control of the Tripoli International Airport. Several rockets hit the airport, damaging the control tower, a Libyan official said. On Monday, civil aviation authorities announced a three-day closure of the airport. Shells raining down hit airplanes, damaged shuttle buses and airport entrances, and landed in the parking lot, an airport security official said.

Among the planes hit was an Airbus from Libya's state-owned Afriqiyah Airways worth $200 million, according to the official Facebook page of its sister airline, Libyan Arab Airlines. It said the crew was transferred to Libya's third largest city of Misrata to operate international flights from there.

Tripoli airport and Misrata city airport were closed on Monday which, along with the closure two months ago of Benghazi airport, leaves the country with only a land route to Tunisia — a flashback to the 1990s when Libya was under U.N. sanctions.

The Tripoli air control center covering western Libya was closed because it was not safe for staff to go to work, aviation officials and state news agency Lana said Monday. The control center is responsible for air traffic in Tripoli, Misrata and Sabha.

That leaves only the tiny Labraq and Tobruk airports in the east, with few international connections, open for traffic. People living in western Libya must make an arduous road journey to Tunisia.

This comes from Al-Jazeera; but I saw the story being covered on HLN this morning.  I thought things really had to be going to hell in Libya for an American media conglomerate to report on it; but that was before I read the reassuring statement from the from the United Nations.  :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Fuck, after watching all the bullshit over Benghazi, I'm not surprised the UN pulled out.  Imagine the international shitstorm if some Euroweenie blue helmet sprained an ankle.