And we're back!

Main Menu

US Budget Simulator

Started by jimmy olsen, June 29, 2014, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ideologue on June 30, 2014, 06:36:49 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 30, 2014, 01:37:00 PM
Where are these growth rates going to come from? We can't do better than 2% a year in the modern safety net countries anymore. It might not be possible at all.

It's not the safety net.

I think you're right. It's the debt. Public and private.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ideologue

Debt overhang (predominately private) is a huge, huge issue.

I still think the bigger reason is wage stagnation, which is part of the reason debt overhang became such a huge issue.  Although reasonable minds evidently can differ, I blame it on automation (as well as simple rationalizing/efficiency gains), which keeps reducing the need for human employment without adding to aggregate demand or even adding significantly to wealth.  No one's "figured out" the aggregate demand problem yet (many people have figured it out).

But I'll tell you (by which I mainly mean Joan) what, if a proper Keynesian stimulus were to lift us back into full employment and raised growth rates, I'd admit I was wrong.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

People have made tons of money off of automation.

Ideologue

The question is whether the economic growth automation/rationalization undeniably creates provides enough jobs (or value) to offset the costs in terms of employment and aggregate demand.  I feel that that question has not been answered, though I think the evidence suggests it being answered in the negative.

If not automation, whence stagnant wages for the past 30 years?  The value of labor has declined, but why?  Retrenchment of capital; women (re)entering the workforce after the Golden Age of the Middle Class, as social order lagged behind, spelling the end of single-income households; immigrants; effective immigrants in the form of global industrialization--are those factors sufficient to explain it?  Perhaps.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

You also said automation has not increased wealth.

Ideologue

I didn't say that.  It obviously has.  (With tremendous gains from the late 19th century up through 1980 or so, to boot.)
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 02, 2014, 07:46:52 PM
I blame it on automation (as well as simple rationalizing/efficiency gains), which keeps reducing the need for human employment without adding to aggregate demand or even adding significantly to wealth.

Ideologue

Which is not the same thing as stating it failed to create wealth whatsoever, though I should've clarified that statement by limiting it to the period of late-late-late-stage capitalism, ~1980 onward.

I'm sure there's an actual economic modeling function that seeks to depict mathematically what I mean: that through a combination of sophistication and ubiquity, the marginal product of labor input is reduced (and hence demand for that labor, since it's primarily wages that drive demand for mass consumption of goods and services, and so on in a messy vicious cycle).

Since displaced workers do not create wealth--and lower-paid workers generate less aggregate demand, the driver of the growth of wealth--I reckon it is very likely to be as significant factor in low growth rates in advanced countries as direct labor competition, although I on reflection debt overhang is probably the most serious present cause.

I think as the years go by technological unemployment will--although some do not--so seriously cripple growth that we may even enter a stage of permanent negative growth (we will absolutely enter a stage of collapsing wages, if we have not already).  This will be driven even further by sub-replacement population growth, which will be compounded by prospective parents having even fewer children than now and pouring every possible resource into their educational development in order to enter the remaining labor market.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Now get from anything you wrote to "no significant increase in wealth."

jimmy olsen

Nobody else has posted a budget! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Fine, you baby.  I also got to 60%

I raised all income taxes, gutted benefits for olds, killed Obamacare (at least the individual mandate part), and went to an all-nuke military.

I could've gotten the government running on a for-profit basis if "end student loans" was an option but it wasn't.  So I killed Pell grants because poor people have no business using taxpayer money for signalling purposes.  Instead, I gave them more welfare and half a trillion dollars worth of jobs.

I created a moon colony just for you, buddy. :hug:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

P.S. I'm kidding about Pell grants, but it did get me to 60% and it was the only higher ed-related expense I was allowed to touch by the machine.
Kinemalogue

Siege

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 02, 2014, 10:53:15 PM
Nobody else has posted a budget! :angry:

Here is my budget:

20% flat tax for everybody, reduce the government employment by 70%, eliminate corporate welfare, anti-monopoly laws defining monopoly as controlling over 25% of any market.

Fuck, this is not a budget.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

You keep your hands off my Pell grants.  :mad:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on July 04, 2014, 04:50:16 PM
reduce the government employment by 70%
Including the military?
Quoteeliminate corporate welfare
What do you mean by this?