News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Terror names linked to Air France 447

Started by Weatherman, June 10, 2009, 10:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on June 10, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
Sounds like a desperate attempt to rationalize away the fear of random events. :P
:unsure: Not in my case, no.  The vast majority of plane crashes have been due to mechanical failure or pilot error, or sometimes a combination of both, which I guess is what you might call random.  I recognize that.  :contract:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

citizen k

Doesn't a terrorist attack have to be known as such in order to spread terror? There has been no claim of responsibility thus making this a terror attack less likely.

grumbler

Quote from: citizen k on June 10, 2009, 06:07:00 PM
Doesn't a terrorist attack have to be known as such in order to spread terror? There has been no claim of responsibility thus making this a terror attack less likely.
Indeed.  That is the greatest argument against a bomb.  However, not all airliner bombings have to be acts of terror.  The nombing of the PA flight over Lockerbee (sp?) was not terrorism per se.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

citizen k

Quote from: grumbler on June 10, 2009, 06:23:22 PM
  The nombing of the PA flight over Lockerbee (sp?) was not terrorism per se.

Mass assassination?

Caliga

Indeed.  That is the greatest argument against a bomb.  However, not all airliner bombings have to be acts of terror.  The nombing of the PA flight over Lockerbee (sp?) was not terrorism per se.
Correct.  Also, there was a domestic US airliner downed by a bombing in the 1950s or 60s, and in the end it turned out the bomber took out an insurance policy on some relative (wife or mother or something) and downed the plane so he could collect on it. :menace:

Neil

Quote from: citizen k on June 10, 2009, 06:07:00 PM
If noone had claimed responsibility, I would be shocked.  Whether or not they actually did it, that's another matter.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2009, 07:21:53 PM
Correct.  Also, there was a domestic US airliner downed by a bombing in the 1950s or 60s, and in the end it turned out the bomber took out an insurance policy on some relative (wife or mother or something) and downed the plane so he could collect on it. :menace:
Talk about an overkill.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Fireblade

The dude who was 3rd in line to the Brazilian throne was onboard that flight... :shifty:

My theory is that someone is trying to seize the Brazilian crown, Crusader Kings style.

Caliga

I find it hilarious that Brazil ever even had an emperor in the first place.  'Emperor Pedro' sounds like a taco stand or something.  :cool:

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2009, 08:32:49 PM
I find it hilarious that Brazil ever even had an emperor in the first place.  'Emperor Pedro' sounds like a taco stand or something.  :cool:

:yes: Or one of those odd little Chinese-Mexican hybrid places...
Experience bij!

Caliga

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2009, 08:32:49 PM
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

:rolleyes: Dude, admit Emperor Pedro sounds funny... like King Ralph or Doctor Detroit or something.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on June 10, 2009, 11:47:03 AM
Quote from: Zanza2 on June 10, 2009, 11:28:13 AM
I wonder if the two names they found were "Mohammed" and "Ali" or something like that. A clear match between the terrorist list and the passenger list!
:lol: I've always thought the list of "names" used for that stuff is a complete joke for that reason... there have got to be, what, like 50 million people named Muhammad Hussein, for example?

A Polish colleague of mine, with an inconspicuous Polish name, was delayed at Paris airport for over an hour (missing her plane) because there was an arrest warrant out for someone with the same name. She recently married and used the opportunity to change her last name.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.