Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Wait until we have a list for the Chinese

Yang Yang #1 thru 35 millions.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2009, 11:44:17 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 11:40:06 AM
The actual chance of a plane going down is also incredibly unlikely, so that proves nothing.

Presumably there are different degrees of unlikeliness...:unsure:
Of course.  I'm merely pointing out that the original statement contains statistical fallacy (called prosecutor's fallacy, to be exact).

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 12:11:20 PM
Of course.  I'm merely pointing out that the original statement contains statistical fallacy (called prosecutor's fallacy, to be exact).

Well I hope Valmy recognizes that it is very unlikely for a plane to crash...and thus I assumed that his statement used the low likelihood of an airplane crash as a reference base.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2009, 12:14:39 PM
Well I hope Valmy recognizes that it is very unlikely for a plane to crash...and thus I assumed that his statement used the low likelihood of an airplane crash as a reference base.
I'm not sure we can make that assumption, because for one Valmy could be quoting an expert who failed to see the fallacy himself.  It would be far from the first time some expert failed to understand the nuances of conditional probability.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 12:17:36 PM
I'm not sure we can make that assumption, because for one Valmy could be quoting an expert who failed to see the fallacy himself.  It would be far from the first time some expert failed to understand the nuances of conditional probability.

What he said was basically that it was almost impossible for a plane to go down by being struck by lightening alone.  They are designed to be struck by lightening, as all metal things that fly through clouds should be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Since it makes no difference to me, I'm content with accepting Valmy's report. You know, dGul, there's no need to take the opposing view all the time. Makes you look a bit pompous (rather like Carrot). :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2009, 12:22:55 PM
Since it makes no difference to me, I'm content with accepting Valmy's report. You know, dGul, there's no need to take the opposing view all the time. Makes you look a bit pompous (rather like Carrot). :(
It's hard to not look pompous when you are smarter and more knowledgeable than the vast majority of people.

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on June 10, 2009, 12:19:48 PM
What he said was basically that it was almost impossible for a plane to go down by being struck by lightening alone.  They are designed to be struck by lightening, as all metal things that fly through clouds should be.
Few plane crashes happen from just one factor.  It's almost always an unfortunate mix of several unlikely events coming together.  At least that's what I learned on the Discovery Channel.  :smarty:

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on June 10, 2009, 12:25:12 PM
It's hard to not look pompous when you are smarter and more knowledgeable than the vast majority of people.
I'd actually suggest that it takes effort to be a condescending prick.  Besides you ain't that bright (the people present into evidence: New Jersey).

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on June 10, 2009, 12:28:35 PM

I'd actually suggest that it takes effort to be a condescending prick.  Besides you ain't that bright (the people present into evidence: New Jersey).

Is NJ so bad if you live one block from the Hudson River?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 10, 2009, 10:48:46 AM
Caliga = Sherlock Holmes

Caliga jumped to a conclusion of what happened as soon as he read of the incident. Maybe he is right, and maybe he is even touched by genious, but he is still the anti-Sherlock Holmes.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on June 10, 2009, 12:40:36 PM
Is NJ so bad if you live one block from the Hudson River?

Sure. Even worse than living in Williamsburg, NY.

Malthus

The problem is not lightning, but rather the strong turbulence that is associated with such storms.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Warspite

Quote from: Malthus on June 10, 2009, 01:15:00 PM

The problem is not lightning, but rather the strong turbulence that is associated with such storms.
Yes, and how close to a stall passenger jets actually fly at cruise altitude.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Berkut

If the plane stalled, wouldn't it have plenty of time to at least send out a mayday or something?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned