News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mensa Starts Dating Site

Started by jimmy olsen, June 25, 2014, 10:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Maybe Siege took the test before he started drinking.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Legbiter

Quote from: Siege on June 26, 2014, 10:30:40 PM
Is 131 high or low.

The Army says my GT score is 131, which is supposed to be an IQ test.

Wait, you're 2 standard deviations smarter than the average prole?

U Einstein Siegz srs congratz  :hug:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 11:11:19 PM
Oh fuck yeah! I was just checking out the Mensa site and while they don't take SAT scores, they do take GMAT scores! I'm going to join Mensa.*  :yeah:

*I might never get around to this.

My LSAT score gets me in too! :yeah: Can't wait to hit the Mensa conventions with you, D4.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ed Anger

I'll crash the party, yell NERDS! and run out before the cops arrive.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Maximus

Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2014, 07:26:27 AM
IQ is supposed to have a median value of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.  That means you have an IQ higher than 98% of the population.

(I believe the median is actually a little higher now and the standard deviation is smaller; but that should be roughly correct.  You are Mensa material!)
That's what they say, but I don't know that I've ever met anyone with an IQ below 130.

Of course there's some selection bias there, but not in every case.

Barrister

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on June 27, 2014, 10:27:36 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on June 26, 2014, 11:11:19 PM
Oh fuck yeah! I was just checking out the Mensa site and while they don't take SAT scores, they do take GMAT scores! I'm going to join Mensa.*  :yeah:

*I might never get around to this.

My LSAT score gets me in too! :yeah: Can't wait to hit the Mensa conventions with you, D4.

Huh - Just checked, and an LSAT of 95th percentile or greater gets you in.

I qualify then.  Woo.  I'll get right on that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

derspiess

Quote from: Maximus on June 27, 2014, 11:03:54 AM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 27, 2014, 07:26:27 AM
IQ is supposed to have a median value of 100 and a standard deviation of 15.  That means you have an IQ higher than 98% of the population.

(I believe the median is actually a little higher now and the standard deviation is smaller; but that should be roughly correct.  You are Mensa material!)
That's what they say, but I don't know that I've ever met anyone with an IQ below 130.

Of course there's some selection bias there, but not in every case.

IIRC I'm in the 120s, but then again we've never met :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Pretty sure my IQ was well below 130 (like 115 or something).  But then those of us who are below 130 do not go around wearing it like a badge of honor.

'Hey I am 105!  You can just call me 'above-average' Judy.'
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maximus

Well yea, that was my point about the selection bias. But , for example, back before the internet was an everyday thing my brother had an IQ test on his computer. Now it's not official of course, but it lines up pretty well with more official ones for me and when bunch of our friends took it, I think the lowest was 128 or something.

Of course, as I pointed out, a single number can in no way come close to capturing the complexities of what it means to be intelligent. But this thread is about mensa, not intelligence.

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 27, 2014, 11:32:10 AM
Pretty sure my IQ was well below 130 (like 115 or something).  But then those of us who are below 130 do not go around wearing it like a badge of honor.

You should be able to join too--that should put you in the top 2% of texans.  :)
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Grey Fox

I've never taken an IQ test, I didn't take a SAT test(s).

I probably do not qualify.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

As a kid I had an IQ test done at some point.  My parents never told me what I scored (for fear that knowledge would mess me up somehow), but it was high enough to eventually get me placed in an "academically talented" program in school, where they took the 'smart kids' from all across town and placed them in one class.

The thing is, of course, is that when I looked up some people from that class several years ago, we were all leading fairly ordinary, boring lives.  For a bunch of smart kids none of us were out curing cancer or anything.  Hell I might have had the most high profile job, and really all I do is go after drunk drivers in court.

So yeah, having a high IQ is vastly over-rated.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on June 27, 2014, 11:47:20 AM

As a kid I had an IQ test done at some point.  My parents never told me what I scored (for fear that knowledge would mess me up somehow), but it was high enough to eventually get me placed in an "academically talented" program in school, where they took the 'smart kids' from all across town and placed them in one class.

The thing is, of course, is that when I looked up some people from that class several years ago, we were all leading fairly ordinary, boring lives.  For a bunch of smart kids none of us were out curing cancer or anything.  Hell I might have had the most high profile job, and really all I do is go after drunk drivers in court.

So yeah, having a high IQ is vastly over-rated.

You could have been a contender. :weep:

But yes we had that in California too. It was called gifted and talented education. It really just meant we often were taken out of our usual class to do some work deemed more challenging. /I recall we went on a few more field trips - like to go see a performance of a Shakespeare play.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Maximus

Where I come from we called it easily distracted and lazy.

alfred russel

When I was a young kid, I tested out as being one of the like 2-3 kids that needed special ed. My father refused to let them hold me back a grade. I improved after the 3rd or 4th grade, but was always in with the slower students (as opposed to the advanced class). Through inertia (and the fact there was a good gap of knowledge between the class I was in and the advanced class), I stayed with the slower students even though my test scores went way up.

By the time I was starting the 8th grade, I was in the top few percent of every subject except spelling, and got a scholarship to a private high school based on the entrance exam. The school probably felt stupid having me with the slow kids, and set me up with a 1 on 1 tutor one class period a day and after school. The tutor kind of went crazy, and I was about to start learning calculus from the tutor when they stopped the tutoring.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014