Previous topic - Next topic

Read the freaking post

Yes
2 (20%)
No
8 (80%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Josquius

I recall reading an article a little while ago. It spoke of some people in Berwick muttering about leaving England to join Scotland (assuming the Scots don't shoot themselves in the head with this independence thing).
Their reasoning wasn't based on any nationalist feeling, most people in Berwick pretty strongly see themselves as English, but simply that Scots get lots of freebies- free medicine, free university, etc... and Scotland gets a lot of money thrown at it by the government that north east England doesn't get.
They figure that since nationalism is stupid and they would lose nothing by joining Scotland it is purely logical to do so and get the improved government services.

So.
My question.
Assume a similar situation.
You live in a border town of your country (a little bit of a different situation since it would have to be a true border outside of the UK).
Beyond a shadow of a doubt life would  be significantly better  (lets say...$1200 a year or so better off?) for you , your family and all your neighbours if your town left your country to join your neighbour.
And let's assume that you know for certain that this isn't a short term thing, it will always be true.
You can keep the right to travel, work and live in your current country but you won't be a citizen.

Your town holds a referendum of logic vs. nationalism.
Would you vote to leave?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Yeah independent Scotland will have lots of free money for continued  lavish welfare payments. They would love some freeloaders joining them.  :lol:

And stop using the term "free". It is not. It is free for the shmuck receiving it, but somebody else is paying for it. It is as free as your mobile phone once a thug strongarms it out of your hand.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2014, 04:47:10 AM
And stop using the term "free". It is not. It is free for the shmuck receiving it, but somebody else is paying for it. It is as free as your mobile phone once a thug strongarms it out of your hand.

The thug is risking gaol, so not as free in that scenario.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Brazen

If I were that dissatisfied with my lot I'd have upped sticks and moved to Edinburgh or London years ago rather than expecting a government - any government - to solve my problems.

Tamas

Quote from: Brazen on June 24, 2014, 04:59:40 AM
rather than expecting a government - any government - to solve my problems.

You fail at modern politics. :(

Josquius

Yeah independent Scotland will have lots of free money for continued  lavish welfare payments. They would love some freeloaders joining them.  :lol:

The Scots pay the same taxes as the English. The government gives them more. Ergo compared to the English the Scots get things for free.
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2014, 05:17:30 AM

The Scots pay the same taxes as the English. The government gives them more. Ergo compared to the English the Scots get things for free.

No. Some of the Scots get stuff which was taken from other Scots.

Viking

Tyr, Tamas

Right now Scots get money from England. After independence Scots will have to take the money from other scots.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

So my choice is to be Mexican or Canadian?  That doesn't seem like a good deal.  Tyr seems to be phrasing this in a way of "If you could have your cake and eat it too, would you do it?".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2014, 05:32:34 AM
Not so much, the taxes go into a central pool and some is then given back to Scotland.
And Scottish people get more than English people.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

The taxes won't go into a central pool after independence.

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2014, 07:01:21 AM
The taxes won't go into a central pool after independence.
Unlikely to happen and irrelevant to the question at hand.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2014, 07:02:26 AM
Unlikely to happen and irrelevant to the question at hand.

How's that?  Currently the high incomes generated by the City get taxed by the UK government then distributed throughout, you claim more generously in Scotland than in England.  If Scotland votes for independence this source of tax revenue will no longer be available to distibute to Scottish citizens.

How is that no relevant to the question at hand?

Admiral Yi

I misread; you're talking about Scotland *not* going independent.

Tamas

Quote from: Tyr on June 24, 2014, 06:35:13 AM
Quote from: Tamas on June 24, 2014, 05:32:34 AM
Not so much, the taxes go into a central pool and some is then given back to Scotland.
And Scottish people get more than English people.

Ok, so some Scots are receiving stuff which was taken from other Brits. Not a big difference in principles. :P