Russian slop
9 (26.5%)

Total Members Voted: 33

DGuller

Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2014, 03:04:50 PM
Their "Salad" of a potato in mayonnaise was a little weird,
That's Oliver salad.  :mad:

Caliga

:hmm: I think I've had that.  Isn't it tater salad with hard boiled eggs and some extra stuff like broccoli in there?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Sounds a lot like  potato salad.  :unsure:

Caliga

If I'm thinking of the same thing, it is... it's just tater salad with extra crap thrown in there.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

There are as many recipes as there are Russians.

Savonarola

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 26, 2014, 03:32:49 PM

It is essentially potato salad.  The Spanish make a variation called Ensalada Rusa.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: DGuller on June 26, 2014, 03:21:52 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2014, 03:04:50 PM
Their "Salad" of a potato in mayonnaise was a little weird,
That's Oliver salad.  :mad:

So good you'll pick a pocket or two for it!

(I think it's usually transliterated as "Olivier" salad.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

DGuller

11B4V

By the choices, fucking none of those. Peasant foods all.

Surprise you didnt add the Hungarians and their shit beet stew or whatever they call it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2014, 05:19:21 PM

Man, most of what we think of as high-quality today started as peasant food somewhere before the time of refrigeration.

All kinds of charcuterie like Jamon Iberico, salumi, cassoulet, wurst, Smithfield hams, etc.

And the undesirable parts of things that were left over after the good stuff was sold like brisket for BBQ, which is now ironically a highly desired cut.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on June 26, 2014, 05:19:21 PM

Surprise you didnt add the Hungarians and their shit beet stew or whatever they call it.

While goulash is indeed awesome, it would only be even awesomer with beets. :mmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Iormlund

Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2014, 04:01:39 PM

It is essentially potato salad.  The Spanish make a variation called Ensalada Rusa.

Ensaladilla rusa (for some reason we use the diminutive form).

Savonarola

Quote from: Iormlund on June 30, 2014, 02:08:42 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 26, 2014, 04:01:39 PM

Mea culpilla. 

;)

derspiess

Quote from: Iormlund on June 30, 2014, 02:08:42 PM

Argies have that stuff.  Mayonnaise  :x
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall