News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

CdM is in love!

Started by The Brain, June 22, 2014, 07:41:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 23, 2014, 04:14:35 PM
Morally, I don't think punishment should be based on outcome, but rather the action itself, particularly when the outcome is affected by the improper actions of another.  Stopping in the middle of a highway is endangering people and should be punished.  Why should the severity of that punishment change depending on whether or not someone else is independently driving recklessly?

That isn't the way the law works though. Attempted murder is not punished as severely as successful murder.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2014, 04:06:51 PM
Why does it have to be an either / or situation? Had motorcycle driver been driving recklessly, and survived the accident, why not charge both of them?

I think was language was imprecise; my reply to CC is more clear.  I was not suggesting an either-or situation.  I was questioning why the punishment of one should change drastically based on the actions of the other.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:05:29 PM
How can you go from "she created the situation that got the motorcyclist and his daughter killed" to the motorcycilist is responsible for their deaths?  If she created the situation that "got" them killed.  That is the reason she was convicted.

Morally, I don't think punishment should be based on outcome, but rather the action itself, particularly when the outcome is affected by the improper actions of another.  Stopping in the middle of a highway is endangering people and should be punished.  Why should the severity of that punishment change depending on whether or not someone else is independently driving recklessly?

The law punishes people more harshly when death ensues from a negligent act than when it doesn't.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: alfred russel on June 23, 2014, 04:17:58 PM
That isn't the way the law works though. Attempted murder is not punished as severely as successful murder.

I know that.  I think it should be, though.  If I shoot you because I want you dead, my punishment should not depend on how good a shot I am or how good a trauma center the area has.

Edit: fixed a negation

Barrister

How can you go from "she created the situation that got the motorcyclist and his daughter killed" to the motorcycilist is responsible for their deaths?  If she created the situation that "got" them killed.  That is the reason she was convicted.

Punishment is always based in part on outcome.  The legal principle is that the sentence must be "proportionate to the gravity of the offence".

You might punch one person and they suffer no injury, while you punch another and they fall down, crack their skull and die.  The action was the same in both cases, but the outcomes couldn't be more different, and as a result so are the sentences.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: Malthus on June 23, 2014, 04:18:48 PM

The law punishes people more harshly when death ensues from a negligent act than when it doesn't.
Yes, it does, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense, at least if you view criminal punishment as a disincentive rather than as an act of vengeance.

crazy canuck

Morally, I don't think punishment should be based on outcome

The law views it differently.  If the idiot was lucky enough that she didnt kill or injure anyone as a result of her negligent act then she would have gotten off with as little as a ticket - or perhaps not even that if the police did not see her.  But unfortunately her stupidity, as you so aptly commented, created the situation which caused others to die.  For that the law creates significant legal sanctions.  It is hard to imagine a system that would do otherwise.  The alternative is a kind of Minority Report judicial system where we punish for things that didnt actually occur but might have occurred.  That would be a dangerous path indeed.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2014, 04:22:11 PM

Yes, it does, but that doesn't mean that it makes sense, at least if you view criminal punishment as a disincentive rather than as an act of vengeance.

Really?  You would rather have a system which judges actions by what might have occurred?

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2014, 04:21:03 PM
Punishment is always based in part on outcome.  The legal principle is that the sentence must be "proportionate to the gravity of the offence".
The first doesn't follow from the second.  The gravity of the offence is the same, the gravity of the outcome stemming from the offence is different.

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2014, 04:24:47 PM
The first doesn't follow from the second.  The gravity of the offence is the same, the gravity of the outcome stemming from the offence is different.

How is your actions causing someone to die the same as your actions which cause someone to skin their knee? The outcome is significant.

Barrister

No.  The first example the offence would be simple assault.  The second example is manslaughter.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:24:45 PM
Really?  You would rather have a system which judges actions by what might have occurred?
No, I would rather have a system with judges actions by the expected outcome of them.  That's very different from "might have", "might have" is worst case outcome and not expected outcome.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2014, 04:22:11 PM

"Disincentive" is only one of the functions of a criminal sentence. Another is, indeed, punishment.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 23, 2014, 04:27:27 PM

No.  The first example the offence would be simple assault.  The second example is manslaughter.
Well, it's tautological.  The legal offences are different because the legal system ensures that same actions with different outcomes are treated differently.  The actual wrong acts are the same.

Malthus

Quote from: DGuller on June 23, 2014, 04:27:35 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2014, 04:24:45 PM
No, I would rather have a system with judges actions by the expected outcome of them.  That's very different from "might have", "might have" is worst case outcome and not expected outcome.

So, I shoot a gun at you and you die. The expected outcome, on average, of me shooting a gun at someone is that I miss - I'm a lousy shot. So my sentence, to properly deter gun-shooters like me, should be a short sentence for reckless gun-shooting.  :hmm: