Tea Party Candidate Says It's OK To Stone Gays To Death

Started by garbon, June 12, 2014, 09:33:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2014, 11:19:19 AM
Viking has a hard time with non-literal interpretations of holy books Spicey.

Yes, if you are going to make it up anyways why have the book in the first place.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on June 12, 2014, 11:16:34 AM
You people are like Syrian Islamists, who behead other Syrian Islamists for not beheading enough non-Islamists.

Blue Dogs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ideologue

I've always said I admire the fuck out of the TP's party discipline.  In the abstract, divorced from their actual political views, it's a beautiful thing to behold.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

citizen k

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:01:39 PM
I've always said I admire the fuck out of the TP's party discipline.  In the abstract, divorced from their actual political views, it's a beautiful thing to behold.
Trying to out fanaticize each other is easy.

Jacob

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:01:39 PM

Ide, I'm making the prediction now - you are going to end up a hard-core rightwinger one day. You won't be a Fascist or a neo-Con; it will be called something else. But one day, you'll be denouncing the likes of derspiess and Hansmeister for being insufficiently conservative.

Iormlund

I'm confused. How can someone be 'largely libertarian' and advocate curtailing personal freedoms in such a way? Does libertarian mean something else in Oklahoma?

garbon

Quote from: Iormlund on June 12, 2014, 01:36:56 PM
I'm confused. How can someone be 'largely libertarian' and advocate curtailing personal freedoms in such a way? Does libertarian mean something else in Oklahoma?

You mostly agree with libertarian positions but make exceptions for egregious examples of sin?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: JakeIde, I'm making the prediction now - you are going to end up a hard-core rightwinger one day. You won't be a Fascist or a neo-Con; it will be called something else. But one day, you'll be denouncing the likes of derspiess and Hansmeister for being insufficiently conservative.

And I think you'd go far in a leftist tea party.  I get more shit from you about not being the exact person you want me to be, with views exactly the same as yours, than I do from anybody.

That said, I do expect you're joking here, since I can't imagine many circumstances where my very foundational beliefs would be turned into their opposites, and I'd become homophobic, misogynist, racist, and rabidly capitalist, those being the four impulses that drive modern rightism.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh yes.  "Libertarianism" is a very compromised ideological label in America; if you replaced any instance of an American declaring themselves a "libertarian" with the words "laissez-faire capitalist" it would probably read as far, far more coherent.
Kinemalogue

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on June 12, 2014, 01:46:51 PM
That said, I do expect you're joking here, since I can't imagine many circumstances where my very foundational beliefs would be turned into their opposites, and I'd become homophobic, misogynist, racist, and rabidly capitalist, those being the four impulses that drive modern rightism.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

And I think you'd go far in a leftist tea party.  I get more shit from you about not being the exact person you want me to be, with views exactly the same as yours, than I do from anybody.

:lol: :hug:

QuoteThat said, I do expect you're joking here, since I can't imagine many circumstances where my very foundational beliefs would be turned into their opposites, and I'd become homophobic, misogynist, racist, and rabidly capitalist, those being the four impulses that drive modern rightism.

:cheers:

That said, you may come around to capitalism if you find a way to do alright by it. I know I did.

DGuller

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 01:48:44 PM

Yeah, that characterization is not helpful.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on June 12, 2014, 01:48:44 PM

You're right, I forgot xenophobic.  Jake may already believe I'm xenophobic, though, which is not true.

I also left out religious, but that's because I don't see Christianity as a core value of, or even an influence on, modern rightism; in the U.S., it's predominately a signaling device for being white and shitty.  Still, I'd absolutely love Jake to walk me through the steps to where I become a Christian.  I'd like to know, since believing in God in some capacity probably would make me happier, though I don't seem especially constituted for such belief.

Quote from: JakeThat said, you may come around to capitalism if you find a way to do alright by it. I know I did.

I don't begrudge slight differences in wealth (let's say, one order of magnitude).  I begrudge massive capitalist exploitation that leads to some people with their wealth expressed in negative numbers and others with worths of tens of billions, off the back of passive income streams forged by their fathers and grandfathers.

I do think you're a good role model overall. :hug:
Kinemalogue

Iormlund

Quote from: garbon on June 12, 2014, 01:41:39 PM

You mostly agree with libertarian positions but make exceptions for egregious examples of sin?

That sounds as coherent as agreeing mostly with communism except you want the private sector to own the means of production.