The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2016, 04:50:52 AM
The biggest idiocy in this article is that it keeps saying "the so-called Islamic State". That's laughable. That's what the country refers to itself. It's like referring to the USA the "so called United States of America" because, obviously, it does not cover the whole of Americas.  :rolleyes:

Yeah, we get that a lot from people south of the border.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Quote from: Malthus on April 13, 2016, 04:05:52 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 13, 2016, 03:58:55 PM
Quote from: Martinus on April 13, 2016, 04:37:23 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 13, 2016, 03:40:15 AM
No, the passage from Luke is much more clear that Christians should buy swords.

Not really. In the passage from Luke, Jesus is preparing the disciples for his arrest, and is telling them to buy swords - but then he tells them that two swords which they have bought are enough. It is clearly something said in a very specific context, rather than a lesson or commandment.

Jesus was pretty much always talking in parables - or at least the portions that were written down in the gospels were parables.

That must have been freaking annoying.

"The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."

"That's great, Jesus, but I just wanted to know what the heck you wanted on your hot dog".

Nobody, I mean nobody, puts ketchup on a hot dog.  Even Jesus.

Martinus

Jesus was pretty much always talking in parables - or at least the portions that were written down in the gospels were parables.

Well, if you want to be a stickler about it, none of the Bible should actually be read literally but deciphered by learned men, reading it in its original Hebrew and/or Greek, based on numerological value of individual words. But then Christianity happened and the cat is out of the bag. :P

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on April 14, 2016, 02:11:48 AM

Well, if you want to be a stickler about it, none of the Bible should actually be read literally but deciphered by learned men, reading it in its original Hebrew and/or Greek, based on numerological value of individual words. But then Christianity happened and the cat is out of the bag. :P

There's a similar body of worthy men working on the Koran, interpreting it and making it understandable in our modern world.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

KRonn

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2016, 02:00:41 AM

Not really. In the passage from Luke, Jesus is preparing the disciples for his arrest, and is telling them to buy swords - but then he tells them that two swords which they have bought are enough. It is clearly something said in a very specific context, rather than a lesson or commandment.

"The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man took and sowed in his field; it is the smallest of all seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest of shrubs and becomes a tree, so that the birds of the air come and make nests in its branches."

"That's great, Jesus, but I just wanted to know what the heck you wanted on your hot dog".

Hmm, I wonder though...what would Jesus do??   ;)

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on April 14, 2016, 12:45:38 PM
Hmm, I wonder though...what would Jesus do??   ;)

He would only eat kosher hot dogs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 14, 2016, 02:00:41 AM

Well, it would appear that Jesus was asking for mustard, albeit in a roundabout manner ...  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Best when the hot dog has ketchup, mustard and barbecue sauce. :mmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Tonitrus

Martinus

Norgy

If Jesus was the son of god, he'd have had bullet points and a PowerPoint.
It's like he almost wanted to be misinterpreted.

Valmy

Quote from: Norgy on April 15, 2016, 07:03:00 AM
If Jesus was the son of god, he'd have had bullet points and a PowerPoint.
It's like he almost wanted to be misinterpreted.

We are all children of God Norgy -_-  :P

He was illiterate so communicated like illiterate people do. Hey it worked in the sense that people remembered what he said well enough to write it down later on.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Valmy on April 15, 2016, 07:23:00 AM
He was illiterate so communicated like illiterate people do. Hey it worked in the sense that people remembered what he said well enough to write it down later on.

Why assume that? He wowed the temple scholars as a 12 year old; this suggests he had some education IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?