The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 24, 2015, 07:36:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on November 24, 2015, 06:34:23 PM
Heh, even assuming NATO does fuck-all while Russia beats on the Turk, the one thing Putin needs right now is ... another war. With Turkey.  :lol:

The country is already leaking money at the seams, and has already bitten off more than it can chew. What possible sense could there be in a fight with Turkey?

I find the idea that Russia could win a one on one war with Turkey to be questionable. They have a large, well equiped and well trained military, and have the advantage of defending some of the most harsh terrain in the world. As long as the conflict remained conventional, the Russians aren't going to get far.

Russia and Turkey have fought maybe 15 wars.  The Turks have won maybe 3, and most of those were due to perfidious Western intervention.  If it weren't for the British, Anatolia would be grazing ground for Cossacks and the Armenians would have a homeland.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Queequeg on November 30, 2015, 04:58:55 AM
Heh, even assuming NATO does fuck-all while Russia beats on the Turk, the one thing Putin needs right now is ... another war. With Turkey.  :lol:

The country is already leaking money at the seams, and has already bitten off more than it can chew. What possible sense could there be in a fight with Turkey?

I find the idea that Russia could win a one on one war with Turkey to be questionable. They have a large, well equiped and well trained military, and have the advantage of defending some of the most harsh terrain in the world. As long as the conflict remained conventional, the Russians aren't going to get far.

Russia and Turkey have fought maybe 15 wars.  The Turks have won maybe 3, and most of those were due to perfidious Western intervention.  If it weren't for the British, Anatolia would be grazing ground for Cossacks and the Armenians would have a homeland.

The 21st century is different time and place than the 18th or 19th.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

Turkey has a well maintained and constantly in-action army. It would be defending its homeland against underpaid Russian conscripts driving 70s Warsaw Pact equipment. It would be a horribly one-sided conflict and because of that probably pretty hard to keep non-nuclear.

Queequeg

Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2015, 06:26:48 AM

Turkey has a well maintained and constantly in-action army. It would be defending its homeland against underpaid Russian conscripts driving 70s Warsaw Pact equipment. It would be a horribly one-sided conflict and because of that probably pretty hard to keep non-nuclear.

Constantly in action against Kurdish grandmothers and against Cyprus.  They haven't fought a war since Korea.
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Queequeg

Erdogan also made a point of gutting the entire Turkish officer class.

Grinning_Colossus

Quote from: Queequeg on November 30, 2015, 11:41:02 AM
Quote from: Tamas on November 30, 2015, 06:26:48 AM

Constantly in action against Kurdish grandmothers and against Cyprus.  They haven't fought a war since Korea.

As opposed to Chechen militias and Georgia?

Russia spends almost four times as much on its military and has a much larger reserve force, though the Turks have NATO technology and would have higher morale in a defensive war. It would be a hard war for Russia, but they might win if a one-on-one conflict were ever to happen, which it won't.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Tamas

Excuse me but if Ukrainian volunteers in track suits can stand up against a Russian attack, then the Turkish army is able as well.

Queequeg

Honestly, all Russia would have to do is start flooding the Kurdish areas with equipment.  NATO would not support the Turks going full Enver Pasha and the Turks haven't known how to fight a war in 400 years.  Kurds have been fighting n ACTUAL WAR against conventionally stronger opponents for 40 years, and Armenia would probably be willing to work as a conduit even if that monster Assad didn't want to give the Kurds weapons directly. 

Tamas

If only you didn't sound like all the RUSSIA STRONK, GONNA REBUILD HUMAN CIVILISATION right-wing scum in Europe, I might even be able to listen to you.

Queequeg

I have nothing in contempt for them, in part because we have some similar beliefs/sentiments/priorities. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 25, 2015, 11:20:14 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 24, 2015, 05:27:49 PM
Is that time period you were talking about when you said Turkey is "dangerously close to peace, prosperity, and international respect"?

No I was talking about early in his tenure.

Unacceptable.  Erdogan is nothing but evil anything he does is wrong.  If he liberalized the economy and oversaw major economic growth, then it's bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on November 30, 2015, 12:43:06 PM
Unacceptable.  Erdogan is nothing but evil anything he does is wrong.  If he liberalized the economy and oversaw major economic growth, then it's bad.

I liked him at first. Then something went horribly wrong. I blamed Putin initially, that Erdogan decided to emulate him. Now I am not sure what to think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

11B4V

Turkey is a cardboard turkey. My money is on the Russkies.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

Those pictures of Turkish M-48s near Kurt Kobane did not boost my opinion of the Turkish military.

Razgovory

I just read that "Turkey is raising the Steaks" :mmm:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017