The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 31, 2015, 11:55:44 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 31, 2015, 11:39:22 AM
Isn't the creation of a non-extreme Caliphate in our interest?

Maybe that's what we need Iran to be.

Doubtful.

At any rate, Iran is the wrong sect.
Does anyone there care what sect you're from?

Queequeg

Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2015, 12:07:52 PM
What is needed is a credible religious voice willing to not only say that killing for Allah is wrong, but that those who are doing it are burning in whatever version of hell Islam has for infidels and heretics.
IIRC there's a mild irony in the fact that people of the book are generally not damned for all time in Muslim cosmology outside of the Ibadis.  Who are horrible, terrible people who deserve to spend a finite amount of time in hell for their backwards belief. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 31, 2015, 12:07:52 PM
What is needed is a credible religious voice willing to not only say that killing for Allah is wrong, but that those who are doing it are burning in whatever version of hell Islam has for infidels and heretics.

Sistani had said more or less that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

http://www.rt.com/news/315374-isis-danger-spread-putin/

QuotePutin: ISIS has designs on Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem, endangers Europe & Russia

Islamic State has designs on the holy cities of Mecca, Medina, Jerusalem and endangers Europe and Russia, Vladimir Putin said. Moscow is concerned about IS-trained jihadists returning to EU countries, the CIS and Russia.

The situation is very serious, Putin said, adding that Moscow is very worried that IS terrorists are publicly announcing their designs on Mecca, Medina and Jerusalem. The jihadists also plan to spread their activities to Europe, Russia, central and southeastern Asia.

"Extremists from many countries of the world, including, unfortunately, European counties, Russia and the  Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) undertake ideological and military training in the ranks of Islamic State [IS, formerly known as ISIS/ISIL]," said Putin. "And certainly we are worried that they could possibly return."

Russia is calling for uniting the efforts of all forces eager to fight terrorism, said the Russian leader.

"Russia, as you know, has proposed to form a wide coalition to fight extremists without any delay. It [the coalition] should unite everyone who is ready and is already contributing to tackling terrorism."

DETAILS TO FOLLOW
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

What I am really hoping for is that the US is willing to concede this one to Russia and actually let them do the dirty work NATO should have been doing.

I would assume that if Assad can be resurrected with Russian backing while the US makes a backroom deal on turning a blind eye to it, then 100% Russian influence on the country can be avoided.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Tamas on September 15, 2015, 04:14:40 AM
What I am really hoping for is that the US is willing to concede this one to Russia and actually let them do the dirty work NATO should have been doing.

I would assume that if Assad can be resurrected with Russian backing while the US makes a backroom deal on turning a blind eye to it, then 100% Russian influence on the country can be avoided.

Good luck with the last part.

Eddie Teach

Even if Syria does go back to being a Russian puppet, it's worth it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tamas

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2015, 06:04:38 AM

yes

Then again, Putin can hardly afford, economically, or politically, to be bogged down in what seems to make the Vietnam War a clear-cut simple affair.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2015, 06:04:38 AM

I suppose you mean it to contain and possibly destroy Daesh?  Because having Assad in full power and predictably engaging in a vindicative purge after the end of the war won't solve the illegal migrant crisis, unlike Putin says, far from it.
May be good against Daesh, which Assad used to get rid of the limited non-radical opposition.

Syt

I'm sure that Putin will look into ways of keeping the refugee stream going as long as it leads to problems and disunity within the EU.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Along with Assad, Erdogan and useful idiots like Merke and Hollande (did she take lessons from him?)? No doubt about it.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 15, 2015, 08:21:39 AM
I suppose you mean it to contain and possibly destroy Daesh?  Because having Assad in full power and predictably engaging in a vindicative purge after the end of the war won't solve the illegal migrant crisis, unlike Putin says, far from it.
May be good against Daesh, which Assad used to get rid of the limited non-radical opposition.

Daesh controlling territory in Syria makes it easier for them to spread. Your migrant problem could get a LOT worse.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?