The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

they pretty much make it as they go, so anything is possible.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Berkut

I don't think you can casually discount that these people truly do believe that they are the true followers of Allah.

It isn't just a bunch of bullshit they use to justify being complete nightmares to humanity. They really believe this stuff, and they recruit those who they can convince that this is what true faith is about.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on August 15, 2015, 03:45:19 PM
I don't think you can casually discount that these people truly do believe that they are the true followers of Allah.

It isn't just a bunch of bullshit they use to justify being complete nightmares to humanity. They really believe this stuff, and they recruit those who they can convince that this is what true faith is about.

Oh I absolutely believe this is true. I believe daesh is absolutely earnest and honest in its beliefs. Which is why they have this attraction.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on August 21, 2015, 07:45:20 AM

Oh I absolutely believe this is true. I believe daesh is absolutely earnest and honest in its beliefs. Which is why they have this attraction.

Agreed, they fervently believe in what they say and do. Many of them are well to do, educated, and this is what they believe. Doesn't matter if rich or poor, they're believers in the cause. As long as they keep winning they'll keep attracting those who either are fellow believers or converts to the cause, along with many who are just drawn in for whatever reasons even though they have a comfortable life style in the West.

Valmy

Well I am sure they have a few recruits from non-Western countries.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

viper37

I do not discount it.

I am simply stating that they are making their rules as they go, re-interpreting the Coran to justify their actions, like all religious sects do.

The Bible does not say you get to molest and beat your kids to give them proper education, yet, some people use the Bible to justify that and they truly believe it.
The Bible does not advocate slavery, yet it has been used ot justify slavery and many people truly believed they were doing the will of God by enslaving black people.

The same goes with Isis type.  The fact they use religion to justify their actions does not mean they do not believe in what they do.  But as they do things, they re-interpret their religious teachings to justify it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

The Bible is pretty long and full of contradictory stuff written centuries apart from completely different cultural perspectives. I am not sure you can map this particular 'feature' on to other religions.

I mean you might be able to but I got the feeling the Quran was a bit tighter.

KRonn

The things ISIS does that aren't in the Quran can be abstracted enough for the purpose of controlling people. By turning some/many of their actions into a religious edict it gives the actions the highest form of acceptability in their governing view.

jimmy olsen

I think this is an important article, it's quite long, but I think it's worth the read. It posits that ISIS is specifically targeting the nationalist identities and the concept of the nation state itself, and that it may do enough damage to them in the Arab world that even if ISIS is specifically defeated, another extreme Caliphate will arise from the ashes.

http://nationalinterest.org/feature/newsflash-time-running-out-defeat-isis-13650

1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Based soley on your cogent but somewhat perplexing precis of the article, it sounds like ground already covered in that Atlantic article on the theological foundations of ISIS's agenda.

Grey Fox

Isn't the creation of a non-extreme Caliphate in our interest?

Maybe that's what we need Iran to be.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 31, 2015, 11:39:22 AM
Isn't the creation of a non-extreme Caliphate in our interest?

Maybe that's what we need Iran to be.

Doubtful.

At any rate, Iran is the wrong sect.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Berkut

What is needed is a credible religious voice willing to not only say that killing for Allah is wrong, but that those who are doing it are burning in whatever version of hell Islam has for infidels and heretics.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned