The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

A lot of money will be spent there by the Russians, seems they didn't take the lessons of 2003 to heart. Or 1979.

HisMajestyBOB

Looks like Russia is getting involved in Iraq, too: Iraq turns to Russia in fight against Islamic State

QuoteBAGHDAD — Iraq plans to set up a joint intelligence-sharing hub with Syria, Iran and Russia to fight the Islamic State, officials said, a move that could further sideline the United States in the battle against the extremist group.

The center in Baghdad will open "in weeks, maybe less," Nasir Nouri Mohammed, a spokesman for the Iraqi Defense Ministry, said Sunday after the announcement of a security and intelligence pact linking the four countries.

The deal is the latest indication of expanding Russian influence in the region as Moscow embarks on a major buildup of troops and military assets along the Syrian coast. A larger role in Iraq could come at the expense of U.S. clout, with Washington struggling to compete with Iran for influence on the battlefield.

Efforts to push back militants in Iraq have virtually stalled, with U.S.-backed troops around Ramadi, the capital of Anbar province, apparently unable to make any significant progress in retaking the city from the Islamic State. Despite a $1.3 billion train-and-equip program for Iraqi forces, Iraqi officials complain that assistance has been slow compared with support from Iran and Russia.

"The decision was taken to share intelligence because all these four countries are involved in fighting terrorism," Mohammed said. He said it would not change Iraq's cooperation with other countries and the U.S.-led coalition to fight the Islamic State.

The leadership of the command center will be rotated every three months among the four countries involved, Mohammed said, adding that it would be limited to sharing intelligence.

However, citing an unnamed military source, the Russian news agency Interfax reported that a committee for "planning operations and controlling armed forces units" fighting Islamic State militants also may be created.

At a meeting with ministers from the U.S.-led coalition in Paris in June, Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi complained that despite pledges of arms and ammunition from Western partners, Baghdad had received "almost none."

Jassem Mohammed al-Bayati, a member of parliament from Iraq's ruling State of Law bloc, welcomed the deal as a "substantial and serious coalition."

"Iraq has had enough of the unserious support and procedures of the international coalition," he said, adding that Russia was playing a "clear role" in Syria defending President Bashar al-Assad against terrorism.

I'd rather watch Russia piss away billions of dollars fucking around in the Middle East than the US. Hopefully we can avoid electing some dumbnut who will immediately bring us back there.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

DGuller

11B4V

How will the Kurds in Syria/Iraq get fucked over now.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

It is almost like there is some CIA agent-provocateur goading Putin into making these dumbshit moves. But there is no way the CIA could ever pull that off so I guess we can just chalk it up to delusions of international power.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2015, 05:51:29 PM
It is almost like there is some CIA agent-provocateur goading Putin into making these dumbshit moves. But there is no way the CIA could ever pull that off so I guess we can just chalk it up to delusions of international power.
The often fatal weakness of autocracies is that there is no honest debate about the policy.  If the dear leader fucks up, then everyone else's job is to make sure that the fuck-up is epic.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 27, 2015, 05:29:17 PM
So who are we rooting for now?  :hmm:

Who cares?  This is perhaps the most positive development to happen in Syria for a while.  Maybe they'll all lose.  Our biggest concern should be the refugee crisis and heading off the possibility of a civil war in Turkey.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2015, 05:51:29 PM

I really don't know what he is thinking or why it is in russia's interest, but maybe he thinks every side is dysfunctional at this point and a modest amount of western muscle (westernish in the case of russia) can get some strong man into something like power, who will then be beholden to mother russia.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2015, 08:09:59 PM
Our biggest concern should be the refugee crisis and heading off the possibility of a civil war in Turkey.

Alternatively, we could build a wall around Europe.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 27, 2015, 08:15:11 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2015, 08:09:59 PM
Our biggest concern should be the refugee crisis and heading off the possibility of a civil war in Turkey.

Alternatively, we could build a wall around Europe.  :hmm:

That'll keep the Mexicans out of Europe. :P
Experience bij!

KRonn

Russkies are getting back in with Egypt giving them military aid and now advistors, propping up Assad including weapons and troops, they're friendly with Iran and also working with Iran in Iraq. So they're looking to expand their presence and influence in the region as the US backs off. It'll be interesting to see how they fare in dealing with ISIS which is a pretty tough and entrenched group, especially with half-hearted regional partners. Or maybe they'll be able to rev up those partnters a lot more than has been accomplished so far. Russia is probably also working with other regional nations on quieter new projects, or so I would assume if their aim is to get back in influence.

Syt

http://www.rt.com/news/317013-parliament-authorization-troops-abroad/

QuoteRussian parliament unanimously approves use of troops in Syria

The upper chamber of the Russian parliament has unanimously given a formal consent to President Putin to use the nation's military in Syria to fight terrorism at a request from the Syrian President Bashar Assad.

Consent was necessary for deployment of troops for foreign combat missions under the Russian constitution.

The request for use of force was sent by the president after considering the large number of citizens of Russia and neighboring countries, who went to join terrorist groups fighting in Syria, head of the presidential administration Sergey Ivanov told media. There are thousands of them, and Russia's national security would be under threat, should they return home, he added.

"This is not about reaching for some foreign policy goals, satisfying ambitions, which our Western partners regularly accuse us of. It's only about the national interest of the Russian Federation," the official said.

Ivanov stressed that no ground operations are planned in Syria. Russia would use its warplanes to hit terrorist targets when requested by the Syrian government. He stressed that unlike the US-led coalition of countries that bombs militant troops in Syria, Russia was invited to do so by the legal authorities of Syria and thus follows international law.

"The military goal of the operation is strictly to provide air support for the [Syrian] government forces in their fight against Islamic State," he said.

The bombing campaign is time-limited, Ivanov said, not revealing a clear deadline for it. He said he was not authorized to disclose details of the operation such as the number of warplanes involved.

"All our partners and allies will be informed about our decision today through corresponding military channels. Specific military information will be provided as well, I believe," he concluded.

Previously, Russia provided the Syrian government with advanced weapons and military instructors to teach the Syrians how to use them.

READ MORE: Russia, Iran, Iraq & Syria setting up 'joint information center' to coordinate anti-ISIS operations

The developement comes after Moscow has intensified involvement in Syria, establishing an Iraqi-based military communications center with Damascus, Baghdad and Tehran.

It also happened just days after President Putin called for an international anti-terrorist effort in Syria that would include the government of President Assad at the UN General Assembly. Western nations have been seeking to oust Assad since 2011, but several key nations such as Germany, France, Britain and the US have confirmed they would not be opposed to Assad staying in power for a transitional period, which would include defeating the Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) terrorist group.

IS has taken over large portions of Syria and neighboring Iraq and is on its way to creating a caliphate. Islamic State has consolidated its position with a combination of successful raids, barbaric brutality and active campaigning on social media targeting potential recruits and supporters worldwide.

There are other significant militant groups active in Syria, including an Al Qaeda branch in the region, Al Nusra Front, which competes with IS for territory, resources and fighters. Another major player in the country is the Kurd militia, which has been defending the Kurd-populated north from IS with assistance from the US-led coalition.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

KRonn

The goal of Russia/Putin is to prop up their proxy Assad, to gain influence or more influence with Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Egypt with the aim of replacing the US as a strong regional actor/partner. Russians have sent advisers to Eqypt and are assisting in fighting ISIS/insurgents in Sinai, and also are supposedly talking the the Saudis and Jordan.  This talk of going after ISIS is all well and good and they will do that too as part of gaining influence and working to become a major player in the ME again. Then too, whatever happened to the multi-nation coalition the US claims to have had to oppose ISIS??

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

BN - Russian air strikes around Hama.

More details here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-34399164
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"