The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Does Iran want to occupy Iraq though? I cannot imagine why they would have any desire to take on that nightmare.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

I could imagine them taking some border areas, but otherwise being content to have Iraqi Shia run the country for them.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Berkut on May 29, 2015, 11:30:43 AM
Does Iran want to occupy Iraq though? I cannot imagine why they would have any desire to take on that nightmare.
It's a Shia theocracy. How could it just allow ISIS to massacre Shias and destroy Shia shrines without losing all legitimacy?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2015, 11:54:47 AM
It's a Shia theocracy. How could it just allow ISIS to massacre Shias and destroy Shia shrines without losing all legitimacy?

By blaming it all on someone else, of course.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

crazy canuck

Iran would probably want to occupy the Shia holy sites at least.

DGuller

It can be an intervention without long-term occupation.  Sort of like when Vietnam invaded Cambodia to dispose of Khmer Rouge.

Razgovory

By claiming it doesn't exists to protect all Shia everywhere?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2015, 07:19:56 PM

Doesn't it though?

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 29, 2015, 08:56:23 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 29, 2015, 07:19:56 PM

Doesn't it though?

Not that I know.  Why would you assume that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

Crazy_Ivan80