The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

I used to think that Assad would eventually win this thing, but now I'm not so sure.  Unless someone major (US, Russia, etc.) decides to intervene, this civil war could go on for a very long time.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 06:54:58 AM
I used to think that Assad would eventually win this thing, but now I'm not so sure.  Unless someone major (US, Russia, etc.) decides to intervene, this civil war could go on for a very long time.
It's already been going on for four years hasn't it? Assad's been having really bad manpower problems lately, the Alawaites have been bled white. I can't see him hanging on to more than the coast by the end of the year.

EDIT: With the fall of Palmyra, there is no hope of relieving the siege of Deir ez-Zor. It will certainly fall. Furthermore, capturing Palmyra puts ISIS in position to seize vital oil and gas fields, as well as to advance on Homs and Damscus.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Warspite on May 21, 2015, 05:24:37 AM
ISIS controls half of Syria? ISIS controls a lot of sand.

I don't see ISIS rolling through all of Syria; it takes and holds areas that are predominantly Arab Sunni, which is because it is a movement of the disenfranchised Arab Sunni. ISIS won't be rolled back until there is a credible vision for Iraq and Syria that offers Sunni Arabs a reason to ditch these Islamist thugs. This will need separate processes in Syria and Iraq. (I would also add that if you want to unravel the Syrian regime's support, you also need to craft a vision of Syria's future that appeals to the many minorities of the country that emphatically do not want to live under Sunni Arab domination.)

That doesn't make ISIS less of a threat, but there needs to be some context to the alarmism.

I just saw a former senator spouting this line as a justification that we need to stay out of it because it's just sectarian violence, in his opinion.  That's a gross oversimplification- most of the Iraqi militias fighting ISIS now are actually Shiite; the current sectarian complaints are more along the lines of deliberately weakening the Sunni brigades as an excuse to send in Shiite militias as "reinforcements."
Experience bij!

KRonn

For a while now I've been wanting and hoping that Assad would win because of what the aftermath of yet another failed state would be, especially a major Mid East nation like Syria. It's really surprising to see the strength of ISIS in being able to grind down the Syrian military and also be on the offensive elsewhere in Iraq, Libya, gathering strength in Afghanistan and probably other places.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: DontSayBanana on May 21, 2015, 08:16:43 AM
Quote from: Warspite on May 21, 2015, 05:24:37 AM
ISIS controls half of Syria? ISIS controls a lot of sand.

I don't see ISIS rolling through all of Syria; it takes and holds areas that are predominantly Arab Sunni, which is because it is a movement of the disenfranchised Arab Sunni. ISIS won't be rolled back until there is a credible vision for Iraq and Syria that offers Sunni Arabs a reason to ditch these Islamist thugs. This will need separate processes in Syria and Iraq. (I would also add that if you want to unravel the Syrian regime's support, you also need to craft a vision of Syria's future that appeals to the many minorities of the country that emphatically do not want to live under Sunni Arab domination.)

That doesn't make ISIS less of a threat, but there needs to be some context to the alarmism.

I just saw a former senator spouting this line as a justification that we need to stay out of it because it's just sectarian violence, in his opinion.  That's a gross oversimplification- most of the Iraqi militias fighting ISIS now are actually Shiite; the current sectarian complaints are more along the lines of deliberately weakening the Sunni brigades as an excuse to send in Shiite militias as "reinforcements."

While the Shiite militias are much better than the Iraqi army, they're still not that good. They outnumbered ISIS ten to one in the second battle of Tikrit yet they lost as many men as ISIS did in the fighting.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Dana Bash, CNN chick, pronounced it Pal Mai Rah.  Is that how you guys pronounce it?

I've always pronounced it Pal Mee Rah.

Caliga

Pal Mai Rah.  But I grew up near Palmyra, New Jersey and that's how they say it, so I probably assumed it was pronounced the same whether or not it actually is.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 21, 2015, 12:05:07 PM
Dana Bash, CNN chick, pronounced it Pal Mai Rah.  Is that how you guys pronounce it?

I've always pronounced it Pal Mee Rah.

Wikipedia says /ˌpælˈmaɪərə/

I pronounce it the ancient Greek way Παλμύρα
Roughly, ü instead of aɪ  :smarty:

Berkut

Quote from: Caliga on May 21, 2015, 12:06:23 PM
Pal Mai Rah.  But I grew up near Palmyra, New Jersey and that's how they say it, so I probably assumed it was pronounced the same whether or not it actually is.

Palmyra, NY is about 15 miles from me, and we pronounce it PAL-MY-RUH
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

Quote from: Berkut on May 21, 2015, 12:22:20 PM
Palmyra, NY is about 15 miles from me, and we pronounce it PAL-MY-RUH
That's probably a better way of rendering Palmyra, NJ's local pronunciation.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Sirte, Gaddafi's home town, and a city of 80,000 has fallen to the forces of the Islamic State.

http://news.yahoo.com/gaddafis-home-town-falls-islamic-state-anarchic-libya-094455638.html

IS soldiers overrun Iraqi government lines 10km east of Ramadi.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/05/21/isis-ramadi_n_7390892.html

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!