The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on March 28, 2015, 06:46:46 AM
Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 27, 2015, 09:06:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 27, 2015, 08:40:21 AM
The shitites are now not helping on the Tikrit operation, because the U.S. is now involved.

The US demanded that as a condition of getting involved.

How did the US expect to succeed without any help from the Shia?  Aragorn's ghost army?
Yeah, that doesn't make any sense.  :huh:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

How did the US expect to succeed without any help from the Shia?  Aragorn's ghost army?

Ask Gen. Austin:

QuoteThe top U.S. commander in the Middle East testified Thursday that U.S. aircraft only began bombing militants in Tikrit after Iran-backed militias withdrew from the fight.

U.S. Army Gen. Lloyd Austin, commander of U.S. Central Command, told lawmakers that there were a number of preconditions that had to be met before the U.S.-led coalition would come to the rescue of the stalled offensive.

"Once those conditions were met, which included Shiite militias not being involved [in the operation], then we were able to proceed," he said. After "three tours in Iraq commanding [U.S.] troops who were brutalized by some of these Shiite militias, I will not and I hope we never coordinate or cooperate with Shiite militias."

KRonn

The enemy of my enemy can still be my enemy.    :hmm:

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 30, 2015, 11:51:40 AM

Ask Gen. Austin:

QuoteThe top U.S. commander in the Middle East testified Thursday that U.S. aircraft only began bombing militants in Tikrit after Iran-backed militias withdrew from the fight.

U.S. Army Gen. Lloyd Austin, commander of U.S. Central Command, told lawmakers that there were a number of preconditions that had to be met before the U.S.-led coalition would come to the rescue of the stalled offensive.

"Once those conditions were met, which included Shiite militias not being involved [in the operation], then we were able to proceed," he said. After "three tours in Iraq commanding [U.S.] troops who were brutalized by some of these Shiite militias, I will not and I hope we never coordinate or cooperate with Shiite militias."

He's talking about Shiite militias.  All Shia fighters are not members of a militia.  The Iraqi Army is overwhelmingly Shiite, for instance, and yet is not (technically only, I suppose) a militia.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

grumbler

Quote from: Siege on March 30, 2015, 02:57:54 PM
Is the VJ JV team still playing?

Yep.  The Marines are not involved, just Army and Chair Force.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2015, 02:10:58 PM
He's talking about Shiite militias.  All Shia fighters are not members of a militia.  The Iraqi Army is overwhelmingly Shiite, for instance, and yet is not (technically only, I suppose) a militia.

This tangent started with this comment by Ed:

QuoteThe shitites are now not helping on the Tikrit operation, because the U.S. is now involved.

To my knowledge, the only Shi'ites "not helping" as a result of US involvement are the militias.  I haven't seen any reports that reference Iraqi Army soldiers refusing to fight or deserting (because of this, at least).

grumbler

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on March 30, 2015, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 30, 2015, 02:10:58 PM

This tangent started with this comment by Ed:

QuoteThe shitites are now not helping on the Tikrit operation, because the U.S. is now involved.

To my knowledge, the only Shi'ites "not helping" as a result of US involvement are the militias.  I haven't seen any reports that reference Iraqi Army soldiers refusing to fight or deserting (because of this, at least).

That's why I questioned your agreement with Ed that no Shia were involved, and in fact your further assertion that Shia non-involvement was a precondition for US participation.  That turned out to be a misunderstanding on your part.  Had there been no Shiite involvement, the US involvement would have been completely moot (barring the appearance of Aragorn's Ghost Army).

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

I wish I had never posted what the BBC scroll said on the TeeVee now.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive