The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Economist had an article ripping Amnesty International's head off for buddying up with CAGE.

Sheilbh

Yep. And they've known for a while. This isn't just hindsight:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/apr/25/gita-sahgal-amnesty-international
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/may/13/statement-gita-sahgal-leaving-amnesty-internationa/
QuoteA Statement By Gita Sahgal On Leaving Amnesty International
Gita Sahgal MAY 13, 2010 ISSUE
Gita Sahgal is a longtime human rights advocate and founder of several women's rights organizations who joined Amnesty International in 2002. In early February, she was suspended from her job as head of Amnesty's Gender Unit after giving an interview to the London Sunday Times in which she raised concerns about Amnesty International's connections with the group called Cageprisoners and its leader, Moazzam Begg. On April 9, Amnesty International formally announced Sahgal's departure, citing "irreconciliable differences of view over policy." Following is a statement by Sahgal.

On Friday, April 9, 2010, Amnesty International announced my departure from the organization. The agreed statement said, "Due to irreconcilable differences of view over policy between Gita Sahgal and Amnesty International regarding Amnesty International's relationship with Moazzam Begg and Cageprisoners, it has been agreed that Gita will leave Amnesty International."

I was hired as the head of the Gender Unit as the organization began to develop its Stop Violence Against Women campaign. I leave with great sadness as the campaign is closed. Thousands of activists of Amnesty International enthusiastically joined the campaign. Many hoped that it would induce respect for women's human rights in every area of social and economic life. Today, there is little ground for optimism.

The senior leadership of Amnesty International chose to answer the questions I posed about Amnesty International's relationship with Moazzam Begg by affirming their links with him. Now they have also confirmed that the views of Begg, his associates, and his organization, Cageprisoners, do not trouble them. They have stated that the idea of jihad in self-defense is not antithetical to human rights; and have explained that they meant only the specific form of violent jihad that Moazzam Begg and others in Cageprisoners assert is the individual obligation of every Muslim.

I thank the senior leadership for these admissions and for further clarifying that concerns about the legitimization of Begg were longstanding at Amnesty International and that there was strong opposition from the head of the Asia program to a partnership with him. When disagreements are profound, it is best that disputes over matters of fact are reduced.

Unfortunately, their stance has laid waste to every achievement on women's equality by Amnesty International in recent years and made a mockery of the universality of rights. In fact, the leadership has effectively rejected a belief in universality as an essential basis for partnership.

I extend my sympathies to all who have fought long and hard within Amnesty International to match the movement's principles with its actions. I know many of you have been bewildered by this dispute and others deeply shamed by what is being done in your name. You may have been told that debate is not possible in the middle of a crisis. I agree that there is indeed a crisis and that the hardest questions are being posed by Amnesty International's close human rights allies, particularly in areas where jihad supported by Begg's associates is being waged.

I am now free to offer my help as an external expert with an intimate knowledge of Amnesty International's processes and policies. I can explain in public debates, both with the leadership and among the staff of its programs, that adherence to violent jihad, even if such ideology indeed rejects the killing of some civilians, is an integral part of a political philosophy that promotes the destruction of human rights generally and contravenes Amnesty International's specific policies relating to systematic violence and discrimination, particularly against women and minorities.

During these last two months, human rights gains have been made to uphold international laws banning torture and to shame governments that have been complicit in torture through the secret rendition of suspects to countries where torture is carried out. But the specter that arises through the continued promotion of Moazzam Begg as the perfect victim is that Amnesty International is operating its own policies of sanitizing the truth.

So I invite you to join me as I continue to campaign for public accountability at this moment, which comes but rarely in history, when a great organization must ask: If it lies to itself, can it demand the truth of others?

A petition to Amnesty International protesting its handling of the concerns raised by Gita Sahgal can be found at www.human-rights-for-all.org.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

During the on-going fighting in Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's mausoleum has been destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31901568
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on March 15, 2015, 11:12:43 PM
During the on-going fighting in Tikrit, Saddam Hussein's mausoleum has been destroyed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-31901568
And nothing of value was lost.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Seems the joint Iraqi - Iranian forces trying to take Tikrit are running into problems, taking a lot of casualties and being held up by stubborn resistance. US is now starting air strikes to help. This was supposed to be relatively easy, let alone the scheduled attack on the much larger city of Mosul. To be honest I'm surprised that the forces have been halted here, as I figured this would go well enough and early reports said the Iraqis/Iranians had made a lot of progress.

Valmy

I swear conventional forces are practically useless these days. I blame Mao.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tonitrus

With the reputation that Shia militias have, the predominantly Sunni population is probably thinking "well, ISIS sucks, but fuck if we want to be raped/looted by some Iranian/Shia pukes" and are fighting with all they got.

There'd probably be less resistance if it were Americans moving in (NOT that I am saying that should have been the alternative).

KRonn

Yeah, there have been some reports of the Shia militias, Iranian and/or Iraqi Shias, being as bad as ISIS at times towards the Sunnis.

Valmy

Quote from: KRonn on March 25, 2015, 09:05:08 PM
Yeah, there have been some reports of the Shia militias, Iranian and/or Iraqi Shias, being as bad as ISIS at times towards the Sunnis.

I remember that time on the Paradox boards when a Sunni and Shia ganged up on me for suggesting the Ottomans and Safavids were natural enemies in EU2. It seems the idea Shias and Sunnis had ever been violent to each other was Western PropagandaTM. Good times.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2015, 09:15:13 PM
Saudi's intervening in Yemen.

Neat.  I'm really wondering if we will see a Middle East 30 years war.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

KRonn

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 25, 2015, 09:15:13 PM
Saudi's intervening in Yemen.

Yeah, I heard that tonight. This will be interesting, as I think much of it will be Saudis vs Iranian backed Shia rebels, but there are also ISIS/Sunnis there in the fight vs the Shias, and probably others.

KRonn

Quote from: Valmy on March 25, 2015, 09:09:50 PM
Quote from: KRonn on March 25, 2015, 09:05:08 PM

I remember that time on the Paradox boards when a Sunni and Shia ganged up on me for suggesting the Ottomans and Safavids were natural enemies in EU2. It seems the idea Shias and Sunnis had ever been violent to each other was Western PropagandaTM. Good times.

Lol, they who live there should have known better of their own history and current times!