The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Are you sure they are not trying to lure 8 year olds?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 17, 2015, 07:27:39 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 17, 2015, 05:03:40 PM
Well I think a large segment of the Western foreign 'fighters'(murders) thinking of heading to the ME, aren't the sort to be distracted by a nicely esoteric theological argument, they're going there for the FPS style murder and mayhem.

While I'm sure a significant number of them are, particularly the young and alienated types, are jonesing for deaf and distrucshun, I think it's selling the attractiveness of ISIS a little short.  The Islamic State is a living experiment and has become attractive to those literalists who want to see concept become reality--not much different than how the Bolsheviks attracted so many Westerners in the very early days of the revolution.

Yeah, I would think there's a lot of that kind of romantic attitude about it. And these are mostly youngsters joining while their elders aren't interested, and probably most elders have enough life experience about these type extremists so want nothing to do with it. They all moved to western nations to have a better life, maybe even to escape some of it, and this kind of thing is likely seen as going in the wrong direction for them.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 18, 2015, 02:27:30 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 18, 2015, 11:54:16 AM
Kittens and Nutella? COLOR ME SOLD

https://mobile.twitter.com/isilcats

See?  They can't be that bad.  I mean, sure, they're chopping off heads and shit, but c'mon...who doesn't in this day and age, if not literally at least figuratively? And now with Nutella?

"Humanity's true moral test, its fundamental test...consists of its attitude towards those who are at its mercy: animals."
― Milan Kundera

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Giant cats: the final solution to the world's human problem.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

Cats are indeed scary critters, a real menace! They start off so kitteny and cute but then morph into a killing machine!  :menace:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

They're needed to get started on the next generation of soldiers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

I read the Atlantic article on ISIS.  The point is not whether they are true Muslims are not; rather that they are literalists, and more importantly, literalists about the nature and obligations of a caliphate and the Muslim armaggedon, and that behavior can be predicted on this basis.

Probably the three most important takeaways are that a) they believe they must hold territory, b) western military intervention feeds their narrative, and c) the only theological threat to them is posed by "quietist Salafists."  Maybe a fourth is that diplomacy/negotiation is anathema.

Razgovory

Quote from: KRonn on February 18, 2015, 02:55:12 PM
Cats are indeed scary critters, a real menace! They start off so kitteny and cute but then morph into a killing machine!  :menace:

That is why people keep them around.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

Kittens are even worse than adult cats. The little bastards are razor-sharp.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 18, 2015, 05:23:59 PM
I read the Atlantic article on ISIS.  The point is not whether they are true Muslims are not; rather that they are literalists, and more importantly, literalists about the nature and obligations of a caliphate and the Muslim armaggedon, and that behavior can be predicted on this basis.

Probably the three most important takeaways are that a) they believe they must hold territory, b) western military intervention feeds their narrative, and c) the only theological threat to them is posed by "quietist Salafists."  Maybe a fourth is that diplomacy/negotiation is anathema.

I am quite skeptical about that article.  For one thing it's a bit like Kremlin watchers in the Cold War.  This guy isn't out interviewing these people, so it's hard to know what they think.  Negotiation is obviously not anathema since hostages have been released. 

I do wonder if that if they are so damn proud of what they are doing, why are they always wearing masks?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

He's reading the Koran, the oral stuff, Islamic jurisprudence, he's reading their online magazine, he's listening to their public statements, he's interviewing Islamists who's passports have been revoked in the UK and Australia.

By negotiation I mean negotiation with other countries.