The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 03:45:01 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 12:39:35 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 11:41:48 AM
Heterosexual men who claim that they cannot judge if another guy is hot have always baffled me.

I certainly have opinions about what is attractive about other dudes.  But that does not mean I would be a good source of knowledge on what gay men and heterosexual women find hot.

Damn did we just turn the ISIS thread into a gay thread?

Perhaps but that's probably because gay men's and straight women's choices are not being telegraphed all the time by the popular culture. On the other hand anyone with a tv and an internet can quickly figure out the type of a woman most straight men would find attractive.

Actually the real thing is that it would be a fool's errand as none of the mentioned a universal type beyond media portrayals a hypothetical standard. OTOH, I think that fits into what you said about how odd it is when straight men say they can tell if a man is attractive as there is enough in the media to give everyone a sense of what that hypothetical standard is - for both sexes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2015, 03:52:46 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 12:41:32 PM
See?  Until you open your mouth and say your stupid thoughts you never know which ones are stupid and which ones are not.  I actually heard that here from Yi or Spicey or somebody else.  Or thought I did, it was a long time ago.

My understanding is that the US does not recognize dual citizenship.  I never said you can't maintain different passports.  I.e., if I get my Argentine citizenship, the US will not recognize me as an Argentine citizen.  I can still travel to Argentina and use my Argentine passport to get into the country and avoid that annoying anti-US fee.

I'm not sure I understand the difference you are trying to note. The US has regulations surrounding dual citizenship so it certainly recognizes that it exists.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Perhaps but that's probably because gay men's and straight women's choices are not being telegraphed all the time by the popular culture. On the other hand anyone with a tv and an internet can quickly figure out the type of a woman most straight men would find attractive.

Yeah no hot guys in popular culture.  None at all.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 12:41:32 PM
See?  Until you open your mouth and say your stupid thoughts you never know which ones are stupid and which ones are not.  I actually heard that here from Yi or Spicey or somebody else.  Or thought I did, it was a long time ago.

My understanding is that the US does not recognize dual citizenship.  I never said you can't maintain different passports.  I.e., if I get my Argentine citizenship, the US will not recognize me as an Argentine citizen.  I can still travel to Argentina and use my Argentine passport to get into the country and avoid that annoying anti-US fee.

Or to use an actual real-life example, my wife is an Argentine citizen and a US citizen.  But since the point she became a US citizen the US government does not recognize her Argentine citizenship.  They didn't confiscate her Argie passport and force her at gunpoint to renounce her Argie citizenship.

What anti-US fee?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 03:52:54 PM
Actually the real thing is that it would be a fool's errand as none of the mentioned a universal type beyond media portrayals a hypothetical standard. OTOH, I think that fits into what you said about how odd it is when straight men say they can tell if a man is attractive as there is enough in the media to give everyone a sense of what that hypothetical standard is - for both sexes.

Well straight women seem to think we want them thin as rails which only fashion designers and Ide like.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

Or to use an actual real-life example, my wife is an Argentine citizen and a US citizen.  But since the point she became a US citizen the US government does not recognize her Argentine citizenship.  They didn't confiscate her Argie passport and force her at gunpoint to renounce her Argie citizenship.

Here is the thing though: if she decides to go join ISIS or join the Russian army would they then yank her US citizenship because she is a dual citizen?  But not do so if that would make her stateless?  It would seem like they would have to recognize her dual citizenship to have a policy like that.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 03:59:12 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 03:52:54 PM

Well straight women seem to think we want them thin as rails which only fashion designers and Ide like.

I think you are conflating(oversimplifying?) a bunch of things there when you make that statement.

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 03:56:19 PM

Fair enough but male standard of beauty is more about personality than looks. Just look at Benedict Cumberbatch.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 05, 2015, 04:04:28 PM
Quote from: Valmy on February 05, 2015, 03:56:19 PM

Fair enough but male standard of beauty is more about personality than looks. Just look at Benedict Cumberbatch.

:huh:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 05, 2015, 04:01:21 PM
I think you are conflating(oversimplifying?) a bunch of things there when you make that statement.

I thought I was going along with your fool's errand thing to make predictions based on media portrayals.

derspiess

True.  To get even more absurd, my wife (an ex-fashion designer who FWIW is no longer thin) scoffs at my 'bad taste' whenever I react positively toward non-anorexic models or actresses.  We get into an argument every time that Kate Upton Game of War commercial comes on.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2015, 04:09:06 PM

True.  To get even more absurd, my wife (an ex-fashion designer who FWIW is no longer thin) scoffs at my 'bad taste' whenever I react positively toward non-anorexic models or actresses.  We get into an argument every time that Kate Upton Game of War commercial comes on.

Those are some fantastic hooters.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

So ... do women who are thin as rails get dual citizenship in the US based on media portrayals of their hottness? And this is a result of ISIS?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 05, 2015, 04:12:28 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 05, 2015, 04:09:06 PM

Those are some fantastic hooters.

Peterbilts don't have headlights that large.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on February 05, 2015, 04:14:13 PM
So ... do women who are thin as rails get dual citizenship in the US based on media portrayals of their hottness? And this is a result of ISIS?  :hmm:

For somebody determined that we smash the Muslim menace, Marty is doing a great job distracting us.