The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

That's a good point Tamas, why are these killings getting so much more attention now as to before?  I think  because of the nature of ISIS and it's new, plus how they've become such a large and brutally dangerous entity. Probably before the media/reporters felt the killings were a response to what western military ground forces were doing and were seen as part of it and almost to be expected, so not as much shock value to report on. I also welcome the media attention as it reminds us of how nasty the ideology of ISIS is. I fear them gaining a strong foothold or a nation since it becomes all the harder to stop them. They've been making some significant gains in Syria and although Assad's regime is bad, any extremist regime is far worse.

dps

Admiral Yi

Hate to be a buzzkill, but they were going to kill them anyway.  They're just threatening to speed it up.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2015, 09:10:32 AM

If only ONCE I could post something politics related here without being told I don't know shit because I am from Eastern Europe. I don't think you guys are aware just how condescending you are.

Uhhh, of course we know, why do you think we say it?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

I'm guessing the pilot has tried to escape and was killed in the process, perhaps. I think given the know behaviour of ISIL, many military in that situation might go with risking all and go down fighting.

If he is dead, rather than fast track these executions, I'd rather see the Jordanians summon the spirit of Glubb Pasha, reform an Arab Legion and send it off into the Iraqi and Syrian deserts to do some jihadi hunting.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Jacob

I find it interesting how the ISIL has brought out the warmonger in you, mongers. You're really quite strident, especially by your standards.

mongers

Quote from: Jacob on February 02, 2015, 09:16:32 PM
I find it interesting how the ISIL has brought out the warmonger in you, mongers. You're really quite strident, especially by your standards.

I wouldn't say warmonger, it's just mainly hollow rhetoric, given the despicable things they're doing.

As it happens I think the Western military response is broadly the right one, bombing ISIL and their leadership in a very effective way, aiding the Kurds and hoping against hope the Iraqis can get their act together sometime soon.

Not much else they can do other than reconsider their relationship with Assad's Syria; enemies' enemy?

What I don't agree with is using the understandable fear of what ISIL might do in the West, to bring in further security regulations/laws an so undermine civil liberties at home.

Eddie Teach

Further regulations? Why? What's ISIL gonna try to do here that Al Qaeda hasn't already been trying to do?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

They seem to have done a better job of recruiting western nationals.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 02, 2015, 09:50:28 PM
They seem to have done a better job of recruiting western nationals.

People predisposed to join a suicide death cult.

Admiral Yi

mongers

Admiral Yi

i was responding to Peter's question about the need for further measures.

what was your point?

Jacob

Quote from: mongers on February 02, 2015, 09:29:45 PM
What I don't agree with is using the understandable fear of what ISIL might do in the West, to bring in further security regulations/laws an so undermine civil liberties at home.

Yeah we have a big sweeping change with all kinds of extra powers for the security services right now in Canada, pretty much in direct response to recent events.