The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

A couple of kurds run one of my favorite kebab spots in downtown Barcelona, I hope they are sending my hard-earned 5€ to the peshmergas. I will even order extra chick pea salad next time.

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on January 28, 2015, 11:03:10 AM
A couple of kurds run one of my favorite kebab spots in downtown Barcelona, I hope they are sending my hard-earned 5€ to the peshmergas. I will even order extra chick pea salad next time.

Yeah, as a community they deserve a break;  I think it's time they formalised themselves as an independent state* . Which we should then recognise.

* I don't think it's up to the West to do that or define it, given the historic problem of having set out previous borders there.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2015, 11:07:28 AM

Yeah, as a community they deserve a break;  I think it's time they formalised themselves as an independent state* . Which we should then recognise.

* I don't think it's up to the West to do that or define it, given the historic problem of having set out previous borders there.
Yeah, now that Turkey is going full retard, my sympathies are fully with the Kurds.  Maybe if they get their own country, it will be just another Stan, but I think that they deserve to have a go at it.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2015, 11:07:28 AM

Agreed on that. Correct this mistake of omission made in dividing up nations after the collapse of the Ottoman empire.

KRonn

Quote from: mongers on January 15, 2015, 09:52:11 PM
No surprise that their brutality is provoking people to desperate measures:

Interesting, to see at least some small or beginning resistance to ISIS. I guess we shouldn't be surprised given the brutality and barbarity of ISIS that others are starting to hit back hard.

Admiral Yi

Prisoner swap has been proposed.  Downed Jordanian pilot for some failed suicide bomber chick held by the Jordanians.  I think IS gave a deadline of tomorrow sundown local time to agree (comply?).

alfred russel

Can someone explain why Turkey doesn't seem on board with the ISIS hate?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: alfred russel on January 28, 2015, 11:21:21 PM
Can someone explain why Turkey doesn't seem on board with the ISIS hate?
They hate Assad more.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Jacob

Yeah, without any specific insight I'd guess that to the degree Turkey doesn't mind the ISIS, it's down to the ISIS messing with groups and people Turkey likes even less.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2015, 11:59:37 PM
Yeah, without any specific insight I'd guess that to the degree Turkey doesn't mind the ISIS, it's down to the ISIS messing with groups and people Turkey likes even less.
There is also a strong jihadi element in parts of Turkey, previously they were very present in Chechnya, now Syria.

Kobane looks like maybe the Stalingrad of the Kurds.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 30, 2015, 05:59:10 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 28, 2015, 11:59:37 PM
There is also a strong jihadi element in parts of Turkey, previously they were very present in Chechnya, now Syria.

Kobane looks like maybe the Stalingrad of the Kurds.

His music sucked anyway.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Good to see the Kurds freeing Kobani, and making some progress against ISIL. They're really about the only strong ground force able to fight against them as yet. Loved seeing the female fighters in that picture. I read some accounts by Kurdish women fighting; pretty impressive.