The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/13/kazakh-child-soldier-executes-russian-spies-in-islamic-state-video/

I don't understand this policy of piss everyone off at once. Do those in ISIS really lap up this "we can fight everyone and stay strong" drivel? I guess maybe among its hordes of young teen soldiers.

QuoteKazakh Child Soldier Executes 'Russian Spies' in Islamic State Video

In a video released Tuesday by the Islamic State, two men described as Russian agents testify that they had attempted to spy on the militants, infiltrate their computer networks, and assassinate the group's leaders. Then a long-haired young boy calmly shoots the men in the back of the head with a handgun.

The first alleged Russian agent is identified as Jambulat Mamayev. He says that he is from Kazakhstan and that he was sent to gather information on the Islamic State and get close to a high-ranking member within the group. The second man, Sergey Ashimov, tells his captors that he previously worked for the Russian FSB, the successor to the KGB, and was sent to kill an Islamic State leader, whose name is muted in the video.

The child who carries out the execution appears to be the same child featured in a November 2014 Islamic State propaganda video. In that video, which also showcased the group's new adult recruits from Kazakhstan, the boy identifies himself as "Abdullah" and speaks predominantly in the Kazakh language.

The high-quality propaganda film shows the religious and military training that children living in the Islamic State undergo. According to the video, that education begins by learning Arabic and studying the Quran in the classroom. Students then graduate to learning hand-to-hand combat and weapons training. The youngsters are shown assembling and firing Kalashnikov rifles.

Asked in Kazakh how he sees himself in the future, Abdullah, says, "I will be the one who slaughters you, O kuffar [nonbeliever]. I will be a mujahid, inshallah." In Tuesday's video, Abdullah appears to have realized his ambition.

The use of children in war is not new, but the Islamic State has assembled a stunningly elaborate and sophisticated system for recruiting and indoctrinating children. A June 2014 Human Rights Watch report found that nonstate armed groups in Syria have used children as young as 15 to fight in battles and children as young as 14 in military support roles. According to the report, the Islamic State has targeted children for recruitment and has used the guise of free schooling to plant their extremist ideology in the minds of youngsters.

The Kazakh government has not yet responded to Tuesday's video, but the authorities did move quickly to remove the November 2014 video. Kazakhstan has tough domestic legislation that outlaws spreading what is deemed as "extremist propaganda," and the Kazakh authorities even moved to pressure the news site Kloop.kg in neighboring Kyrgyzstan to remove an article the publication had posted about the November video.

Kazakhstan's National Security Committee estimates that 300 Kazakh citizens have traveled to Syria to join the Islamic State. At least half of those are estimated to be women and children. In an interview in December 2014, Erlan Idrissov, Kazakhstan's minister of foreign affairs, told Foreign Policy that one of the government's biggest worries is "the rise of violent extremism in Kazakhstan and the region" and how "these schools of thought have spread throughout the population."

The video ends, chillingly, with the men's young executioner holding his hand up in triumph before stepping over the corpses and walking away. Idrissov and other Kazakh officials have reason to worry about what will happen when he or his fellow child soldiers begin returning home.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

That's depressing... I followed the link to see a picture of the kid. He's just a kid :(

11B4V

Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 02, 2014, 11:30:26 PM
Iranian air force bombing ISIS positions in Eastern Iraq

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-30304723

EDIT: Beaten by less than a minute <_<

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 13, 2015, 08:07:25 PM
That's depressing... I followed the link to see a picture of the kid. He's just a kid :(
Kids sure do grow up fast these days.

Jacob

Quote from: DGuller on January 13, 2015, 08:44:29 PM
Kids sure do grow up fast these days.

That kid is not grown up. No way.

Child soldiers give me the sad.

jimmy olsen

Just tragic. :(
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2015, 06:06:54 PM
https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/01/13/kazakh-child-soldier-executes-russian-spies-in-islamic-state-video/

I don't understand this policy of piss everyone off at once. Do those in ISIS really lap up this "we can fight everyone and stay strong" drivel? I guess maybe among its hordes of young teen soldiers.

It's a eschatology death cult, it doesn't have to make sense, internally or externally.

Though that doesn't make their behaviour not explicable sometimes, remember the last prominent murder execution of a journalist they carried out? Well that time many of the ISIL fighters were unmasked for the first time as they talked on the video, before murdering the Syrian army soldiers.

This is because of where they did this atrocity, in Raqqa, which is reputed to be the site of a battle during the end of day/doomsday/final judgement/whatever they call it. They also used phases that alluded to them wanting to start the final battle and bring it about.

Clearly they can't be negotiated with like say possible the Taliban, killing ISIL 'fighters' is the only way to stop them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

He's probably getting passed around like a party platter of adolescent finger food by those kiddiefuckers, no less. 

Poor, broken little psychopathic shit.

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2015, 09:27:28 PM

Try criminal.  Anyway I hope those ISIS people are proud of themselves.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Valmy on January 13, 2015, 10:11:28 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 13, 2015, 09:27:28 PM

Try criminal.  Anyway I hope those ISIS people are proud of themselves.
They are, that's the problem
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 23, 2014, 04:02:44 AM
Not only are there Brits going to Syria to fight for ISIS, apparently there are Brits going there to fight against ISIS as mercenaries. If only there were Western organizations where one could do that legally under the aegis of a legitimate state. Maybe some kind of armed force. :hmm:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/22/uk-mercenaries-fighting-islamic-state-terrorist-syria
You're forgetting British Kurds.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

You're right.

"Ok, Brain." would have been a more appropriate joke IMO.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?