The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2014, 11:27:45 AM
It appears Turkey has arrested hundreds of Kurds from Kobani who tried to cross the border. Might be PKK.

IS definately likes their Turkish allies

KRonn

As others are pointing out, Turkey seems to be playing a tricky and dangerous game. By not intervening to save thousand of Kurds in Turkey they may feel that the loss of the city hurts the Kurds and takes more land, lessening the Kurdish area and hopes for a separate Kurdish state. But then by not intervening the Turkish govt will likely anger the Kurds all the more and make them more hostile to the Turkish govt.

I saw those tanks at the border being discussed by a journalist who was there. She said the tank guns were pointed into Turkey, not at Syria and ISIL. The US govt. has been leaning heavily on Turkey to intervene. They've joined in the coalition against ISIL so what better time than now to at least fire some artillery in support of Khobani, and send in some resupplies of ammo and other supplies, medical supplies. I doubt if Assad would mind much at all if ISIL were taking more hits, even within Syrian territory, which he doesn't control anymore anyways.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Minsky Moment

At risk of piling on, the Turkish policy is really shortsighted.  If the PKK wants to send their fighters to get killed battling ISIS in Syria, why would it benefit Turkey to stop that?  Yes there will be dubious armed men crossing in remote areas in the east but that is probably already happening anyway (or will soon).

The bigger picture is that for the US, beating ISIS is the priority.  One could credibly argue that it shouldn't be, but if for no other reason than domestic politics, it can't be any other way.  Given that Obama's policy is based on two basic givens: (1) beat ISIS, (2) don't use US ground troops/rely on regional allies.

The problem is - who can fill #2?  The Kurds are willing to fight, but don't have the capability to take on ISIS alone, especially with their fighters strewn across 4 national boundaries.  The Iraqi Shi'a in the very best scenario cannot be counted on to do much more than not lose more significant ground.  And that's it.  The Syrian Sunni groups may not care for ISIS but their priority is Assad and other than Nusra their capabilities are very limited anyways.

So is US policy is to work within the current diplomatic alignment, Turkey will have contribute significantly to the fight, including at a minimum lifting all restrictions on US/NATO use of Turkish bases and allowing supply and support of Kurdish forces combating ISIS.

If not - then there is only one viable alternative.  Because there are forces in the region that have the power and potential interest to take the fight to ISIS.  And that is Assad and Iran and Iran's proxy forces in Syria and Lebanon.  Right now the US is maintaining the fig leaf of official condemnation of Assad and support for the "good" Sunni rebel factions, but if that policy fails to achieve results - and most likely it will fail - what happens next?

From a pure power politics geopolitical world view, a US "diplomatic revolution" in the region - shifting US support from the Saudi led Sunni factions to Shi'a-Kurdish alignment consisting of Iran, Shi'a Iraq, the Kurds, and Assad is quite appealing.  It would require Rouhani triumphing in the internal fight in Iran, but a "deal" where Iran compromises on nukes and helps take out ISIS and other AQ splinters in return for normalization/end of sanctions/hands off Syria has real value for both sides.

Such a shift, even if partial and gradual, would bad news for Turkey and its allies and the region.  The politics may render it unrealistic, but can Turkey really take that chance?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I think that the ISIS thing is a the perfect chance to make deals with the Iranians.  To bad nobody in Washington has the stomach for it.  Only Nixon could go to China, I have no idea who could go to Tehran.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2014, 01:04:01 PM
I think that the ISIS thing is a the perfect chance to make deals with the Iranians.  To bad nobody in Washington has the stomach for it.  Only Nixon could go to China, I have no idea who could go to Tehran.

Hillary.  With a reset button labeled in Farsi.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

JR, I think that you are right, and that the US is one Sunni terrorist act away from taking up the cause of the Shiites once again.  This time, as you note, the alliance would explicitly include Iran, rather than just implicitly including them, as before.I don't think that Turkey would be happy when the Shiite forces (mostly Kurd, but with Iranian advisers and perhaps heavy weapons) re-take the Kurdish territories in Syria near the Turkish border.  In effect, that would be Kurdistan.  How many well-trained-and-equipped PKK fighters would come out of that struggle? Dunno, but could be "lots."  The obvious next step would be taking the next bit of Kurdistan, that inside Turkey.

This might not be the likeliest outcome of the Turkish stab in the back, but it is the worst, and its plenty bad enough to be worth avoiding at considerable cost.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 08, 2014, 01:19:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 08, 2014, 01:04:01 PM

Hillary.  With a reset button labeled in Farsi.

McCain could do it, with a reset button labelled "2008."  Certainly no other Republican would dare.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Legbiter

Are the Turks letting IS kill off the Kurds in the town to afterwards roll in and clean up the mess?  :hmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Syt

Part of me worries that Erdogan looks at IS and thinks, "I like the cut of their jib; they have the right ideas!"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: grumbler on October 08, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
McCain could do it, with a reset button labelled "2008."  Certainly no other Republican would dare.

McCain's button would say "FIRE ALL NUKES" or something like that.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2014, 01:48:10 PM
Part of me worries that Erdogan looks at IS and thinks, "I like the cut of their jib; they have the right ideas!"

I don't think that.
I do think he sees them and thinks: "they are tying down the Kurds, they are causing problems for the Shia extremists in Iraq, they are against Assad, they are giving the Americans headaches.". And that all seems pretty good to him.  And maybe it is from that perspective but as I said - short-sighted.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

mongers

Quote from: Legbiter on October 08, 2014, 01:41:05 PM
Are the Turks letting IS kill off the Kurds in the town to afterwards roll in and clean up the mess?  :hmm:

Possibly, I think Erdogan is trying to play a cleverer game than he's capable of.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 08, 2014, 04:12:45 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 08, 2014, 01:48:10 PM

I don't think that.
I do think he sees them and thinks: "they are tying down the Kurds, they are causing problems for the Shia extremists in Iraq, they are against Assad, they are giving the Americans headaches.". And that all seems pretty good to him.  And maybe it is from that perspective but as I said - short-sighted.

Erdogan probably thinks the same thing when he looks at ISIS that Jerry Falwell thought when he looked at Fred Phelps.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.