The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

CountDeMoney

Zoupa

Yi is a little rascal. Dude did you ever try the internet dating thing?

I showed him a couple websites when we met but the old man was reluctant  :glare:

Admiral Yi

Dude, all the chicks you dialed up were fugs.  You said so yourself.

mongers

Quote from: Zoupa on September 27, 2014, 08:32:52 PM

I showed him a couple websites when we met but the old man was reluctant  :glare:

Hang on, I thought that was the whole raison d'état for this place; mature men gathering to meet and impress young eligible women. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

I still don't understand these constant threats from Islamic militants about attacking US. Have we shown a tendency to give up when attacked on our own soil? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on September 29, 2014, 11:22:10 AM
I still don't understand these constant threats from Islamic militants about attacking US. Have we shown a tendency to give up when attacked on our own soil? :unsure:

Maybe they're aiming for "reduce American civil liberties" victory.

Jacob

I don't think that figures into it. I think there are two separate dynamics underlying "threats at the US".

1) A significant part of the US are motivated by threats against it and see them everywhere (witness outlandish statements about ebola and ISIS attacking America through illegal Mexican migrants for example). Thus threats against the US are played up by people who want to wield the US as a weapon against their own local enemies or are otherwise served by the threats being taken seriously.

2) The US is still viewed by many as the paragon and source of whatever conflict with modernity various groups have. It's viewed (sometimes accurately, more times inaccurately) as providing funding, ideological, and cultural support for local factions that the threat-utterer is opposed to. Thus threatening to attack America is a way to stake out a position in the local political conflicts.

I think on top of that there's also a moral conviction on the threatener's part that the US is soft, and if you hit it hard enough and long enough it will eventually crumble. I think that has less to do with the US "giving up" and more about the fact that attacking the US successfully brings a lot of status and followers and funding.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2014, 08:51:18 PM

Hang on, I thought that was the whole raison d'état for this place; mature men gathering to meet and impress young eligible women.

Raison d'État can get you killed but you need a raison d'être to live. ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2014, 11:24:38 AM

The terrorists have won :weep:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on September 29, 2014, 02:53:07 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2014, 11:24:38 AM

The terrorists have won :weep:

Korea has more.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 29, 2014, 12:42:20 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 27, 2014, 08:51:18 PM

Raison d'État can get you killed but you need a raison d'être to live. ;)

Damn auto complete.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney