The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grallon

So I read you guys are at war again?  Well at least my favorite newspaper prints that Obama has declared war against EI or ISIS or whatever the mongrels call themselves these days.

So how does it feels to be back in the stew?

Why don't you guys do humanity a service and eradicate them all at once?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on September 12, 2014, 08:27:09 PM
So I read you guys are at war again?  Well at least my favorite newspaper prints that Obama has declared war against EI or ISIS or whatever the mongrels call themselves these days.

So how does it feels to be back in the stew?

Why don't you guys do humanity a service and eradicate them all at once?

G.

I think we shouldn't have left in the first place.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Hansmeister

Obama has the fundamental problem of being unable or unwilling to understand the nature of the conflict.  Then again his understanding of any issue has never been above the level of a stupid college freshman who just discovered Chomsky and Zinn and suddenly thinks he understands the world.

When it comes to internal conflicts we break them down into three categories, which are from the smallest to the largest:

Terrorist conflict - defined as war through terrorist attacks, mainly against civilian targets, to undermine the credibility of the government. The enemy is a relatively small organization, rarely more than a few hundred strong, usually divided into many autonomously operating cells.  You combat it by an aggressive policing effort, combining intelligence and targeted strikes that seeks to identify the terrorist network and the capture or kill its members.

Insurgency - tends to combine terrorist acts and raids to get the government to relinquish control of difficult to defend territories.  Insurgencies must have a safe harbor to operate from, usually remote regions or neighboring countries. Counter insurgency strategies focus on increasing local security and gaining the support of the local populace to eliminate said safe harbors and denying the insurgents freedom of movement.

Civil war - control of a country is divided with the opposition controlling sizeable territory and able to field large forces that can challenge to gov't's security forces directly for control of the country. In a civil war the only way to ensure success is to boost the capabilities of the conventional forces to the point where they can achieve decisive victory.

During a war the category can change several times, and each time you have to change your tactics along with it. I used to complain that our conventional generals just didn't understand it and wasted several good opportunities early in the Iraq war to secure victory. Today most generals to understand it, but alas the ignorant generalissimo Obama has overruled them and insisted on a counterterrorism strategy with a very limited counterinsurgency component when we are in fact facing a civil war conflict. Hence, the strategy has zero chance of succeeding.

viper37

Quote from: Hansmeister on September 12, 2014, 10:45:00 PM
Obama has the fundamental problem of being unable or unwilling to understand the nature of the conflict.  Then again his understanding of any issue has never been above the level of a stupid college freshman who just discovered Chomsky and Zinn and suddenly thinks he understands the world.
How did it go the last time you were in the area, with a very good President who understood perfectly the nature of the conflict unfolding in front of him? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

CountDeMoney

:lol:

He understands, alright.  He understands Middle East conflict is a quagmire from which there is no permanent exit, just varying degrees of blender settings.  We'll just be killing the same rebranded Islamotards swinging on monkey bars, over and over and over again.

Admiral Yi

Hans: so don't leave us hanging.  What would be the optimal policy to follow right now in Iraq?  In Syria?

Viking

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 13, 2014, 01:12:32 AM
:lol:

He understands, alright.  He understands Middle East conflict is a quagmire from which there is no permanent exit, just varying degrees of blender settings.  We'll just be killing the same rebranded Islamotards swinging on monkey bars, over and over and over again.

He understands, only he's not actually trying to resolve the issue or advance US interests. He's trying to be a politician. If "doing the right thing" is going to shoot him in the foot as a politician he won't do the right thing. Bush and Blair were doing what they thought was "the right thing" and see how they turned out.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on September 13, 2014, 02:21:44 AM
He understands, only he's not actually trying to resolve the issue or advance US interests. He's trying to be a politician. If "doing the right thing" is going to shoot him in the foot as a politician he won't do the right thing. Bush and Blair were doing what they thought was "the right thing" and see how they turned out.

There is no way to resolve the issue of religion-based ethnic conflict in the Levant, which is nothing more than a proxy war between Saudis and Iranians.  Certainly not democracy, which doesn't work with politically-immature societies and it's a money sink anyway with those greedy corrupt bastards, and nobody wants to go back to what used to work: pragmatic strongman generals with really awesome hats.

The only US interests that need to be advanced is to suck their oil out as quickly as possible--and since we've become adept to destroying our own country's environment to do it ourselves instead, that reduces our compelling interests in the Middle East to simply killing as many of them as possible from 30,000 feet.

"Doing the right thing" is ensuring no more US servicemen coming home in cardboard boxes.  It's bad enough our material and financial support to the Saudis and the Gulf States is used against us in the export of terrorism as it is, not a single Iraqi, Syrian or other miscellaneous moon god worshiper is worth a single drop of US blood, regardless of how much money private sector contractors can make after we break shit.  Maybe the Lebanese, but that's about it.

Josephus

This wouldn't be happening if Saddam were still around.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

garbon

He'd be a doddering old man now. Just look at Gaddafi.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

garbon