The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

mongers

Quote from: grumbler on August 24, 2014, 05:25:20 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 24, 2014, 05:19:25 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 24, 2014, 10:19:44 AM
Assad's fucked.

Said that last year.  And the year before that.

Some day, it will be true!

This is Timmay reportage in a nutshell.

(says the person who called an imminent Russian invasion about 3 weeks ago now)
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

Papers here are saying that MI5/the police have identified Foley's murderer as a named British-Egyptian rapper/hip-hop 'artist' .

Police under tremendous pressure, so I hope they've got the right man:

London hip-hop artist key suspect in beheading

Investigators are taking a close interest in Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, a hip-hop artist and son of a man accused in America of bombing US embassies in Africa in 1998 (Times Newspapers )

A BRITISH hip-hop artist has emerged as a key suspect in the hunt for the killer of the US journalist James Foley.

Abdel-Majed Abdel Bary, 23, from Maida Vale, west London, is understood to have become a crucial part of investigations by counterterrorism police and MI5.

Whitehall and police officials have told The Sunday Times that MI5 is now certain of the identity of the British jihadist who appeared in the beheading video posted by Isis, also known as the Islamic State, last week.

"The MI5 investigation into the man behind James Foley's murder is ongoing but they have managed to identify the masked British jihadist who can be seen in the video holding a knife to his throat," a police intelligence source

rest of article here, behind a paywall:
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1450781.ece

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Martinus

Time to purge all rap/hip-hop performers. That's the only way to be sure.  :bowler:

Martinus

Assad's fucked. Taqba airbase has fallen and ISIS now has complete control over eastern Syria.

I love that the West's policy towards Middle East is the one from the nursery rhyme about a woman who swallowed a fly.  ;)

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 24, 2014, 05:35:31 PM
Assad's fucked.

But will Seedy live to see it?

Well, his reign of terror is bound to end sooner rather than later.

Not sure about Assad, though.

Queequeg

So Apparently Tripoli has fallen to Islamists. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Queequeg on August 25, 2014, 10:23:24 AM

Like that's never happened before.

Martinus

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Quote from: Queequeg on August 25, 2014, 10:23:24 AM
Only the airport, I think.  Egypt and UAE are striking the islamists now.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Minsky Moment

I wouldn't worry about it though.  It's not a big college town.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

KRonn

Assad's fucked.

I thought he was done about a year or two ago back when some of his top officials were fleeing the country and the rebels were making a lot of gains, even threatening Damascus. Now I'm thinking that I hope he remains in power and defeats ISIS at least, as they'll become the new leadership. Also seeing where Libya has gotten to, extremist types controlling much of the country and threatening the capital Tripoli. Egypt didn't far so well with its revolution but at least had a strong military to step in and oust the extremists. If Syria falls it'll become another failed state with various powers trying for control and ISIS types would be by far the strongest, if they're still around if/when Syria's govt is toppled.