Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

mongers

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 19, 2014, 07:33:12 PM
Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2014, 07:32:28 PM
More bombing please.
Who bombing what?  Waiting for the Iranians to roll in?

US/anyone - bombs - 'Islamic State'.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2014, 07:20:29 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 19, 2014, 06:58:41 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2014, 06:49:21 PM

I never really understand things like this. Seems like beheading Americans on video isn't a good way to get the US out of your business.

Like I alluded to earlier. These people are not operating with the scope of what we consider rational and intelligent behaviour. They are not doing this because they think it is smart, they are doing this because their book tells them to. They are not calculating their behaviour to manipulate american public opinion like so many terror groups which accrue useful idiots and fellow travellers in the west. They read the book, the book says behead infidels, so they behead infidels.

So it seems like they just pick and choose the passages that they like?

No, that is what regular people do. Not just religious moderates. Most people in general already know what they think is right and already know what they want to do and then rationalize a justification which suits that. Selectively reading passages from their preferred religious book or justifying your own actions by emphasizing the reasons which support your preferred choice and ignoring those which don't. (cake tastes good and well the calories thing can be dealt with by exercise, so eating cake is ok)

What jihadis are doing is they are approaching the book with a blank sheet and figuring out what they want to do not from their own desires and moral sentiments but rather subjugating them to the book itself. The IS fighters are to a large extent travelling jihadis who came because they wanted to do jihad. They want to do what the book tells them because they are not picking and choosing what they like and choose to ignore.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Viking on August 19, 2014, 07:43:19 PM
What jihadis are doing is they are approaching the book with a blank sheet and figuring out what they want to do not from their own desires and moral sentiments but rather subjugating them to the book itself. The IS fighters are to a large extent travelling jihadis who came because they wanted to do jihad. They want to do what the book tells them because they are not picking and choosing what they like and choose to ignore.

From what I know though the book mostly says that in the context of fighting. Apart from that one oblique reference to Muhammad's act, there isn't much about beheading already vanquished foes.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

Tim needs to make a series of maps.

Iran suffers the worst martyr harvest in fifty years.... Jihadist uprising in Pakistan..... Indian troops invade.... Saudi and Kuwait reach troop strength goals of 50,000..... Labor Party gains control of Israel and withdraws from the West Bank.... ISIS stands alone.
PDH!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 19, 2014, 07:53:52 PM
Tim needs to make a series of maps.

Iran suffers the worst martyr harvest in fifty years.... Jihadist uprising in Pakistan..... Indian troops invade.... Saudi and Kuwait reach troop strength goals of 50,000..... Labor Party gains control of Israel and withdraws from the West Bank.... ISIS stands alone.

Ted Stevens was wrong.  The Internet isn't a series of tubes.  It's a series of maps. :P

...And they all suck. ;)
Experience bij!

mongers

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

From what I know though the book mostly says that in the context of fighting. Apart from that one oblique reference to Muhammad's act, there isn't much about beheading already vanquished foes.

Shall we play a game and guess the names of countries that are big on beheadings ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on August 19, 2014, 07:57:52 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2014, 07:52:29 PM

Shall we play a game and guess the names of countries that are big on beheadings ?

:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Do non Arabs do the beheading thing?  Maybe it is cultural.  Though I guess I recall the Taliban was big on it to.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Darth Wagtaros

The Ottomans were big on it. The French too for a while.
PDH!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on August 19, 2014, 08:01:47 PM
The Ottomans were big on it. The French too for a while.

It was the humane way to kill people :P

Obviously everybody used to behead people back before we could use civilized methods like firing squads.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive