The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: mongers on August 11, 2014, 03:45:40 PM
Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2014, 03:26:38 PM
Does anyone know or have sources that speak to the extent of US airstrikes in Iraq?

Are we just hitting ISIS where they are attacking civilians in particular areas, or engaging in a more generalized air offensive against them, or something in between?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there right now about the extent of US involvement.

What about our allies - is this a US only operation, or is the UK or any other NATO members involved at all?

Personally I'd like to see a half-dozen Apache helos stationed in Kurdistan for more direct and timely air support.

I recall a report that drones were being used for that purpose.

Hansmeister

Fun facts on Yazidis:

They are a variation of Zoroastrianism.

They worship an angel who defied God and bowed down to Adam instead.

They ban the eating of .... Lettuce? WTF?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

viper37

What about our allies - is this a US only operation, or is the UK or any other NATO members involved at all?
Didn't someone post that SAS commandos were on the ground, or soon to be deployed on the ground?

Canada ain't there for now, though future participation is not excluded if it becomes a UN mandate.  I don't think we have the kind of hardware necessary for such missions right now, anyway.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Hansmeister

Does anyone know or have sources that speak to the extent of US airstrikes in Iraq?

Are we just hitting ISIS where they are attacking civilians in particular areas, or engaging in a more generalized air offensive against them, or something in between?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there right now about the extent of US involvement.

So far the air strikes have been very limited, more to send a message rather than to degrade ISIS capabilities. That means they will prove to be ineffective. There are persistent rumors of British SAS being on the ground.

DGuller

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
That's pretty shrewd, actually.  I bet Jews are having second thoughts about their choice of banned foods now.

mongers

Obama due to make a statement within the next few minutes on military action in Iraq:

http://www.reuters.com/
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tonitrus

Fun facts on Yazidis:

The wiki article on Yazidi's says the exact opposite of that...instead that the angel refused God's order to bow before Adam (and that is why Islamists think that angel is the devil).  :huh:

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Hansmeister on August 11, 2014, 04:03:12 PM

So far the air strikes have been very limited, more to send a message rather than to degrade ISIS capabilities. That means they will prove to be ineffective. There are persistent rumors of British SAS being on the ground.
I've heard about the SAS.  Ineffective air strikes are not surprising to me for some reason. But not making me happy.
PDH!

Josquius

The ineffective airstrikes are a little confusing to me.
Where IS had been so troublesome likely was that they had acquired a lot of heavy weaponry and artillery (largely from fleeing Iraqi army troops...) - this makes them a lot more effective at fighting the predominantly infantry and technical armies they're up against....but far more open to conventional attacks than their traditional street fighter tactics would have left them.

Also, something that is puzzling me a little with reporting of events, is that IS' area of control is always shown as a very long and snakey area with a lot of gaps.
This makes sense of course, IS aren't stomping through the empty deserts in those gaps, they're sticking to the areas around major roads.
But....that's not the way area of control maps are normally done. There isn't any resistance in those gaps so it is odd they're not also being painted in IS colours.
I wonder what brought on this style decision in this particular war, going counter to previous standard convention.
██████
██████
██████

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Tyr on August 11, 2014, 04:52:31 PM
The ineffective airstrikes are a little confusing to me.
Where IS had been so troublesome likely was that they had acquired a lot of heavy weaponry and artillery (largely from fleeing Iraqi army troops...) - this makes them a lot more effective at fighting the predominantly infantry and technical armies they're up against....but far more open to conventional attacks than their traditional street fighter tactics would have left them
I think Washington wants to do it on the cheap.  And nobody else cares enough to invest anything in stopping them.
PDH!

Razgovory

Quote from: celedhring on August 11, 2014, 02:55:54 AM
Whoever made this map nonsensically redrew borders with sheer abandon, yet still has the West Bank as "status undetermined". Not even nutjobs can figure that one out yet.

Ralph Peters.  He has some unusual views.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Queequeg

Fun facts on Yazidis:

Neither of these are accurate.  Yazdanism is obviously related to Zoroastrianism but is more locally Kurdish and does not have any of the strict rules of Zoroastrianism or the scriptures.  It's really more a kind of Sufism that was completely swamped by local Zoroastiran-ish Kurdish beliefs in the Middle Ages. 

Melek Taus REFUSES to bow to Adam.  That was the drama.  That's why Muslims think of him as a Satanic figure.   
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Grinning_Colossus

That another name for Malak Taus is Shaytan doesn't help.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

CountDeMoney

Leave it to Spellus to have the Girls of The Yazidi, 2013-14 pin-up calendar.  With the bonus months.