Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Tonitrus

It's probably easier for U.S. foreign policy if we consolidated the terrorist states?  :P

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 11, 2014, 05:02:00 AM
It's probably easier for U.S. foreign policy if we consolidated the terrorist states?  :P

Well the terrorists consolidate all the jews in one place, how's that working out for them?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Allegedly, the US has started/soon start arming up the Kurds in Iraq. About bloody time. Although Erdogan's turks fighting against US-armed Kurds in Turkey will not look well.

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on August 11, 2014, 07:35:03 AM
Allegedly, the US has started/soon start arming up the Kurds in Iraq. About bloody time. Although Erdogan's turks fighting against US-armed Kurds in Turkey will not look well.

Yeah, very happy to see this change. Irbil falling would be disastrous, and for ISIS to make major inroads into Kurdistan would be a huge mess, and will have left a good US ally in the lurch. I'm hoping the arms and equipment given to the Kurds is substantial. It's clear that the Iraqi government under al-Maliki is causing more divisions as he tries to remain in power. The Kurds right now are one of the few groups able and quite willing to fight against ISIS. Hopefully once ISIS receives a couple of heavy defeats then the Iraqi army, what's left of it, can realize ISIS isn't invincible and can regain some morale and start pushing back. I guess the Iraqi air force has made some attacks in support of the Kurds so that's a small and hopeful sign.

Sheilbh

Maliki's fallen politically. Which is good. But looks like it'll need a coup to get rid of him.

I've heard of his successor and, from what little I know, it seems a good choice.

That's one obstacle out the way.
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 11, 2014, 01:21:05 PM
Maliki's fallen politically. Which is good. But looks like it'll need a coup to get rid of him.

I've heard of his successor and, from what little I know, it seems a good choice.

That's one obstacle out the way.

Shelf, I remember you originally being quite keen on Maliki.

Has he gone yet ie has his personal army left the streets?

What's the over/under on some bloodshed in Baghdad ?

Berkut

This is going to make a great competitive/co-op game someday...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Does anyone know or have sources that speak to the extent of US airstrikes in Iraq?

Are we just hitting ISIS where they are attacking civilians in particular areas, or engaging in a more generalized air offensive against them, or something in between?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there right now about the extent of US involvement.

What about our allies - is this a US only operation, or is the UK or any other NATO members involved at all?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

mongers

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2014, 03:26:38 PM
Does anyone know or have sources that speak to the extent of US airstrikes in Iraq?

Are we just hitting ISIS where they are attacking civilians in particular areas, or engaging in a more generalized air offensive against them, or something in between?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of information out there right now about the extent of US involvement.

What about our allies - is this a US only operation, or is the UK or any other NATO members involved at all?

I think most of the strikes have been 'in support' of the Kurds, to stop any further advance on Irbil.

And they seem to be ongoing, in the sense that the Obama administration has said there's no timetable.

Personally I'd like to see a half-dozen Apache helos stationed in Kurdistan for more direct and timely air support.