The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on August 07, 2014, 02:09:45 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2014, 08:04:53 AM
Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2014, 08:02:25 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2014, 07:59:16 AM
What are we suppose to do? Even those that are being slaughtered don't like us.

Did you get out there and show solidarity with Hamas?  I would appreciate at least a little solidarity for an entire people who are not even launching rockets at anybody.

No, I stand with Israel.

I don't know how you can give solidarity to a force that will turn on you the moment it feels safe to do so.

Can you name any incidents of Yazidi terrorism?

I can not however that doesn't mean that they are any different and don't hate us like the rest them.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tyr on August 07, 2014, 05:46:23 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 07, 2014, 03:56:57 PM
Interesting/sad historical fact about the Yazidis is that, according to Gertrude Bell, during the Armenian genocide they sheltered thousands fleeing the Turks :(

That's unusual given what I've read (wikipedia) about their obsession with purity and not mixing with outsiders too much. But nice.

I hope abrahanic monotheism doesn't claim another victim :(

:huh:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

LaCroix

Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2014, 07:51:25 AMUm this is not a gang fight.  These are ancient civilizations being massacred.  Women and children.  But hey those kids are a bunch of ghetto thugs who deserve it eh?  For um...being there in the way or something.  So much for "humanitarians".

and ghetto thugs are people, too, etc. the idea is perception. hamas are a bunch of illiterate backwater people, while israel is a western nation. there is a higher expectation on how israel acts than how hamas acts. i mean, why do you think so many people dislike israel? they're not all anti-semitic - that's an intellectually bankrupt argument.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2014, 09:34:58 PM
Israel's not really a western nation though.

i'm not concerned about definitions of western nation and whether israel fits under it. israel has the technology, the democratic government, the espoused ideals, etc. it's a "civilized nation." people don't care about rivalries in other parts of the third world regions nearly as much as they care about israel and palestine.

DGuller

I agree with that.  I think that Arab on Arab conflict is like when one gangbanger kills another.  People rarely get outraged about that.  Israel vs Palestine is when a cop shoots a ganbanger in a situation that is not clearly justifiable.  Plenty of people will be all up in arms about policy brutality then, and some will blab on about how the cops are worse than any criminal.

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Eddie Teach

You take a bunch of Eastern Europeans who have just gotten out of extermination camps, put them in a new country where everybody around them wants to kill them, they're gonna have a less "civilized" perspective than somebody whose family immigrated to Brooklyn in the 20s. It's admirable that they have adopted modern values to the extent that they have.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: DGuller on August 07, 2014, 10:03:31 PM
I agree with that.  I think that Arab on Arab conflict is like when one gangbanger kills another.  People rarely get outraged about that.  Israel vs Palestine is when a cop shoots a ganbanger in a situation that is not clearly justifiable.  Plenty of people will be all up in arms about policy brutality then, and some will blab on about how the cops are worse than any criminal.

Nah, Israel/Palestine is more like George ZimmermanT/Trayvon Martin.  The U.S. invading Iraq is like a cop shooting (as we are much more akin to the "world's policeman".  And Abu Ghraib was like the Abner Louima case.

Russia is like the cop fired for misconduct, but goes around intimidating his neighbors with his old badge and pooping on their lawn.

China is the shady rich guy who moved into your neighborhood and is trying to tell you what you have to do with your yard to keep from lowering his property values.

The EU, of course, is the hippie white neighbor who hates that Zimmerman guy.  He doesn't complain about Russia too much, because Russia is banging his wife and he feels too cuckolded to do anything about it.

Viking

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 07, 2014, 09:34:58 PM
Israel's not really a western nation though.

They certainly fall into the W.E.I.R.D. group of nations.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Jacob

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2014, 06:57:27 PM
QuoteCan you name any incidents of Yazidi terrorism?

I can not however that doesn't mean that they are any different and don't hate us like the rest them.
[/quote]

So you are basically relying on ignorant racism, then? You don't know anything about the Yazidi except that they're perhaps some kind of Arabs or something, and that's enough for you to conclude that they "hate us"?

Razgovory

Quote from: LaCroix on August 07, 2014, 09:19:07 PM
Quote from: Valmy on August 07, 2014, 07:51:25 AMUm this is not a gang fight.  These are ancient civilizations being massacred.  Women and children.  But hey those kids are a bunch of ghetto thugs who deserve it eh?  For um...being there in the way or something.  So much for "humanitarians".

and ghetto thugs are people, too, etc. the idea is perception. hamas are a bunch of illiterate backwater people, while israel is a western nation. there is a higher expectation on how israel acts than how hamas acts. i mean, why do you think so many people dislike israel? they're not all anti-semitic - that's an intellectually bankrupt argument.

I reject this completely.  They are human beings and should be judged the same as any other human beings.  I allow some leeway for different cultures, but this isn't about wearing an orange hat in public or a religious obligation to eat goat once a month, or not insulting them in the street.  The Palestinians aren't some ignorant child-peoples.  They can in fact read.  Their literacy rate is around 95%.  Israel already acts with more restraint then Hamas.  Hamas throws everything they have at Israel.  If Israel made the same effort they could depopulate Gaza in a few months.  Why do people dislike Israel?  True it's not all anti-semitism (but that's a major factor), other factors include European states wanting to get on the good side of about a billion Muslims rather then 10 million Israelis.  Another is that many in the West allow themselves to be manipulated by the Palestinians.  The Palestinians send kids with rocks to attack tanks and take pictures of the results.  They cynically put weapon caches near schools so that if when these are hit it kills children.  They know this tugs at the heart strings of Westerns.  They portray themselves as plucky innocents standing up against Israel and a lot of people buy it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on August 08, 2014, 03:04:09 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on August 07, 2014, 06:57:27 PM
QuoteCan you name any incidents of Yazidi terrorism?

So you are basically relying on ignorant racism, then? You don't know anything about the Yazidi except that they're perhaps some kind of Arabs or something, and that's enough for you to conclude that they "hate us"?
[/quote]

Yes. It's a guilty until you prove otherwise situation so they won't get my simpathy, no. Not to say that we should not try to prevent their genocides.

We must not repeat the actions of Coward Dallaire in Rwanda.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

KRonn

Quote from: derspiess on August 07, 2014, 03:25:26 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 07, 2014, 03:20:34 PM
I'll be pretty pissed if we don't materially support the Kurds.  There's no reason to abandon them to this mess.

I definitely want us to help them as well.  Only problem is they're kind of hard to get to by land right now.  I suppose we could send them some stuff by air.

I agree on wanting to help the Kurds. It'll be a real let down, stab in the  back to them, if the US doesn't supply them with the heavier weapons and equipment they've been asking for. Right now apparently they have mainly light weapons against a better armed ISIS. It'll be tragic for the Kurds, a good US ally, to get slaughtered by ISIS and especially because the US doesn't aid them enough. They can defend themselves and have the desire to do so, but need the weapons and ammo. A big plus, obviously, is that the Kurds could be one force that'll stand up to ISIS and right now that is something that is desperately needed.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on August 08, 2014, 06:59:41 AM
We must not repeat the actions of Coward Dallaire in Rwanda Europeans in Yugoslavia.