The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PJL

Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2014, 08:23:38 AM
Three state solution. Have fun.

Agreed. It will be messy in the short run, but it will stabilise things in the longer run.

Valmy

Hey look things went pretty much how the Iraqi experts predicted they would back in 2003.  Well either this or a new military dictator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: PJL on July 14, 2014, 08:28:38 AM
Quote from: Berkut on July 14, 2014, 08:23:38 AM
Three state solution. Have fun.

Agreed. It will be messy in the short run, but it will stabilise things in the longer run.

Sometimes war does solve problems.  Pity about all those religious and ethnic minorities.

They better not do what Europe did: they slaughtered each for centuries to establish these homogenous nation states.  Then as soon as they were done they let in a bunch of new minorities and then were surprised when the radical right wing started rising again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 14, 2014, 08:15:22 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2014, 08:07:09 AM
We gave Iraqis Abrams tanks? :bleeding:
With scrap prices the way they are, you'd have to pay someone to take them.  At least, by giving them to a non-profit, we got a nice tax writeoff.

And think what we saved on shipping!

DGuller

Are the old Abrams tanks so devoid of any secrets that we don't mind giving a few samples to Iranians?  Or have they already been analyzed in detail by all our potential enemies?

Razgovory

I imagine they are the export models the Egyptians have.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

KRonn

Quote from: DGuller on July 14, 2014, 08:48:35 AM
Are the old Abrams tanks so devoid of any secrets that we don't mind giving a few samples to Iranians?  Or have they already been analyzed in detail by all our potential enemies?

That's about what I was also wondering as to why we'd give Iraq Abrams tanks with the secret, classified armor.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on July 14, 2014, 10:07:53 AM

I imagine they are the export models the Egyptians have.

The Egyptian ones are built in Egypt. The Egyptian ones are M1A1s while the Iraqi ones are export models designated M1A1M. The export version is without Uranium Armour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Syt

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28381455

QuoteIraqi Christians flee after Isis issue Mosul ultimatum

Iraqi Christians are fleeing Mosul after Islamist militants threatened to kill them unless they converted to Islam or paid a "protection tax".

A statement issued by the Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) was read out at the city's mosques.

It called on Christians to comply by midday on Saturday or face death if they did not leave the northern city.

Isis has control of large parts of Syria and Iraq and said last month it was creating an Islamic caliphate.

The ultimatum cited a historic contract known as "dhimma," under which non-Muslims in Islamic societies who refuse to convert are offered protection if they pay a fee, called a "jizya".

"We offer them three choices: Islam; the dhimma contract - involving payment of jizya; if they refuse this they will have nothing but the sword," the Isis statement said.

"Christian families are on their way to Dohuk and Irbil," in the neighbouring autonomous region of Kurdistan, Patriarch Louis Sako told the AFP news agency.

"For the first time in the history of Iraq, Mosul is now empty of Christians," he said.

The patriarch, one of the most senior Christian clerics in Iraq, said militants had been seen tagging Christian houses with the letter N for "Nassarah", a term used for Christians in the Koran.

Community destroyed

Iraq is home to one of the world's most ancient Christian communities but its population has dwindled amid growing sectarian violence since the US-led invasion in 2003.

Prior to 2003, the number of Christians in the city had been as high as 60,000, but that had dropped to about 35,000 by June this year, Mr Sako said.

He said another 10,000 fled Mosul after Isis took control at the beginning of June and numbers dropped have fallen rapidly since.

Isis issued a similar ultimatum in the Syrian city of Raqqa in February, calling on Christians to pay about half an ounce (14g) of pure gold in exchange for their safety.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Syt

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/isis-women-girls-fgm-mosul-un

QuoteIsis orders all women and girls in Mosul to undergo FGM

UN says 'fatwa' issued by militant group in and around Iraqi city could affect 4 million

The militant group Islamic State (Isis) has ordered all girls and women in and around Iraq's northern city of Mosul to undergo female genital mutilation, the United Nations says.

The "fatwa" issued by the Sunni Muslim fighters would potentially affect 4 million women and girls, the UN resident and humanitarian coordinator in Iraq, Jacqueline Badcock, told reporters in Geneva by videolink from Irbil.

"This is something very new for Iraq, particularly in this area, and is of grave concern and does need to be addressed," she said.

"This is not the will of Iraqi people, or the women of Iraq in these vulnerable areas covered by the terrorists," she added.

No one was immediately available for comment from Isis, which has led an offensive through northern and western Iraq.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

I eagerly await all those totally not anti-semites and totally pro-humanists to march all around Europe to protest ISIS on this.

KRonn

Oh man, what a horrible, savage procedure that is on women.   :(    :mad:   I'm sure many of the Iraqis who sided with ISIS have had some serious second thoughts, more and more as time goes on!

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:30:17 AM
I eagerly await all those totally not anti-semites and totally pro-humanists to march all around Europe to protest ISIS on this.
I don't think anti-Israeli sentiment is about anti-Semitism.  I think it's about two things:  the inability of people who lived in peace their whole life to comprehend that war is a nasty business, and the bigotry of low expectations.  Israel is a western state, so it's expected to act in a civilized manner, whereas you can't really expect anything other than brutal violence from the Arabs.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2014, 10:00:09 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2014, 08:30:17 AM
I don't think anti-Israeli sentiment is about anti-Semitism.  I think it's about two things:  the inability of people who lived in peace their whole life to comprehend that war is a nasty business, and the bigotry of low expectations.  Israel is a western state, so it's expected to act in a civilized manner, whereas you can't really expect anything other than brutal violence from the Arabs.

You would have a point if it wasn't totally about anti-Semitism. I have yet to encounter somebody who was anti-Israel in these matters and didn't have funny ideas about the role of Jews in the world.