The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Sicily is the the big island just southwest of the Italian peninsula.  It's grey on the map. :)
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Well, hopefully ISIS administration is what Sicily needs to snap out of their medieval mindset that enables mafias to flourish.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2014, 06:24:11 AM
Well, hopefully ISIS administration is what Sicily needs to snap out of their medieval mindset that enables mafias to flourish.

That or fascism.
All Austria included and not Sicily is indeed hilarious. Turkestan seems included in it though. Crimea as well, but not Kazan (Tatarstan) indeed.

DGuller

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 30, 2014, 06:54:46 AM
All Austria included and not Sicily is indeed hilarious. Turkestan seems included in it though. Crimea as well, but not Kazan (Tatarstan) indeed.
I think they're just being realistic there.

Norgy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 29, 2014, 11:10:05 PM
Vienna will fall at last!  :lol:

I guess I can tell me islamophobic countrymen to do as Frankie says.

Syt

And now that the Caliphate has been proclaimed I know the ideal Grand Vizier.

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 29, 2014, 07:53:53 PM
Looks like Jaron will be making his move to crown himself Emperor of Trebizond.

Berkut is right.  This was coming since we invaded. Hell, if Saddam had died in office we might be seeing it anyway, except you know, for the massive amounts of lives and treasure we expended exporting democracy ther.e

I would say it was coming since the post-WW1 divvying up of the Middle East that created modern Iraq in the first place.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Darth Wagtaros

Maybe.  Better government may have created a sense of 'nationhood' in those states.
PDH!

derspiess

I like how their geographical knowledge seems to get less specific as you move out from the center.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 30, 2014, 02:13:19 AM
How are not able to trace these guys if they're posting videos on Youtube?

Because its not that simple?  There are techniques to mask IP addresses.  They are probably using throwaway, possibly stolen, devices for access.  Even if they weren't doing either, all you find out is their ISP.  You might also be able to find the MAC address of the device you used.  You find out fuck-all about where said device is actually located.

Valmy

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 30, 2014, 08:33:37 AM
Maybe.  Better government may have created a sense of 'nationhood' in those states.

Better government could have done lots of things in many different places.  It is a difficult commodity to attain though.

I have to say they have bizarre ambitions to conquer all these presently non-Islamic areas while not concerning themselves with places like Bangladesh, Malaysia, and Indonesia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Siege

Illiterate fucks.
Don't even know their own history.
They are just repeating propaganda.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Berkut

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 30, 2014, 08:33:37 AM

I am becoming more and more convinced that the West has this idea that "better government" can precede rational and meaningful national boundaries. I think perhaps that we look at out own societies and governments, our own perceptions on things like the rule of law and importance (or lack therof) to us of things like tribal identities and sectarian distinctions, and think that given "good enough" government, where the lines are drawn on the map really should not matter.

But I suspect that the reality is that it is the other way around - in most places like this, you cannot have "good government" when in fact that government is trying to control groups that simply are not willing to actually work together. You cannot create a national identity because it is not possible (or at least incredibly difficult) to have "good government" when you have national borders that in some cases do not take into account the actual demographic or political realities on the ground.

You end up with one of a couple things, it would seem:

1. Stable, but relatively brutal governments who rule by violence, or
2. Unstable attempts at "coalition" governments that cannot entice or demand the loyalty of those who they must rely on to maintain sovereignity.

In the case of the Middle East, many of the borders are often not just poorly though out from the standpoint of creating states with cohesive identities, in some cases they are very carefully constructed to create intentionally unstable states, like Iraq. Where the goal of the powers setting it up was to make sure that the state could not be stable, and therefore whoever was in power (often a minority) would be reliant on the foreign power to maintain their position.

So I see what you are saying, but I think history has shown that the idea that "good government" can come BEFORE rational boundaries has never really worked. We want it to work because the alternative is either

A) Incredibly hard politically (creating rational states via a political process). Can anyone imagine the country of Kurdistan coming into existence via a nice committee meeting between Iraq, Turkey, and the Kurds? No way.
B) Extreme violence. Which is what we are getting now.

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

I don't recall the details, but I think Europeans had a disagreement or two about national identities themselves before stable liberal governments came about.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on June 30, 2014, 09:17:08 AM
I don't recall the details, but I think Europeans had a disagreement or two about national identities themselves before stable liberal governments came about.

Yeah...did any violence result?  I don't recall.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."