The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

BOMB SOMETHING YOU WORTHLESS PRESIDENT. WHARGARBL
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on June 17, 2014, 10:04:37 AM
Rudaw's English Twitter feed is still reporting small skirmishes between Kurdish and ISIS forces at various places near Kirkuk, so either someone has not get the message or its a pretty weak NAP.
I imagine it'd inevitably be weak because it's not really between two states with professional militaries. If it's just small skirmishes at the odd 'border post' then that's as effective as is likely/possible. What they mean is the Kurds aren't going to go for Mosul or try and push ISIS out and ISIS aren't going to try and take Kurdish territory.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 17, 2014, 12:29:36 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2014, 10:23:05 AM
I think small skirmishes in the Islamic world means you're still sort of friends.

It is all over the sex ed camel.

LOL (PBUH)

derspiess

So has Obama announced what he's planning to do yet so I can criticize him and take the opposite position?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

OK, I guess my recollection of said article must suck, because it really does look like bullshit, doesn't it?

Those swords seemed to cut through flesh just fine with the need for any sawing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: Berkut on June 17, 2014, 02:33:56 PM
OK, I guess my recollection of said article must suck, because it really does look like bullshit, doesn't it?

Those swords seemed to cut through flesh just fine with the need for any sawing.

Steel isn't strong, boy. Flesh is stronger!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

:hmm:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Hansmeister

Quote from: derspiess on June 17, 2014, 02:23:12 PM
So has Obama announced what he's planning to do yet so I can criticize him and take the opposite position?

He is using the Sir Humphrey Appleby approach to solving a crisis:

Bernard Woolley: What if the Prime Minister insists we help them?
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Then we follow the four-stage strategy.
Bernard Woolley: What's that?
Sir Richard Wharton: Standard Foreign Office response in a time of crisis.
Sir Richard Wharton: In stage one we say nothing is going to happen.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
Sir Richard Wharton: In stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we *can* do.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

PJL

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 17, 2014, 04:09:02 PM

Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage two, we say something may be about to happen, but we should do nothing about it.
Sir Richard Wharton: In stage three, we say that maybe we should do something about it, but there's nothing we *can* do.
Sir Humphrey Appleby: Stage four, we say maybe there was something we could have done, but it's too late now.

That's probably as good as any theory on how the US / West in general response to the crisis as anything else I've heard. It's not like he hasn't practiced the same thing before in Syria and Ukraine.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 17, 2014, 04:09:02 PM

That's the US approach to most anything for the last 20 years.  Aside from air strikes.
PDH!

Sheilbh

Quote from: PJL on June 17, 2014, 04:59:47 PM
That's probably as good as any theory on how the US / West in general response to the crisis as anything else I've heard. It's not like he hasn't practiced the same thing before in Syria and Ukraine.
Yeah. At this point I'm not sure that's the wrong choice for Iraq/Syria.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Depends on the amount of force applied.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?