The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant Megathread

Started by Tamas, June 10, 2014, 07:37:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

I love how "moderate muslims" are expected to plan their whole lives around abnegation. Is there no end to the tasks they need to undertake to "prove something" to others?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

I am not saying that they all should do it.

But, given that there are Western Christian volunteers that are leaving for the Middle East to fight against ISIS, you would have thought there would be at least some Muslim ones who would do the same.

Eddie Teach

Why would they want to join the wrong side of the holy war?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 05:00:56 AM

But, given that there are Western Christian volunteers that are leaving for the Middle East to fight against ISIS, you would have thought there would be at least some Muslim ones who would do the same.

Like this guy?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/isis-brave-brit-left-wife-5258445

Though I suppose there is nothing in the article that mentions specifically if he is a Muslim or not.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

grumbler

I think that, to most westerners, it doesn't matter if someone going to fight ISIS is Muslim or not.  In fact, Westerners would be disappointed if the press even mentioned the religion of those fighters.  Wanna-be Westerners like Marti should spend more time watching how Westerners behave, and less time talking about how he thinks he has successfully become Western.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on March 09, 2015, 07:03:33 PM

They do sound rather like people who've joined a cult and now have no way back?

Yes they do. Too bad it was well known ISIS was waging a war, when they joined. Naive people? Maybe some of them. But we are doing ourselves and especially the countless blameless Muslims a disservice by trying to paint these rampaging madmen as poor misguided souls looking for a chance to redeem themselves in civilised society.

They need to be defeated, not just because of justice but also simply to stop their way being seen as an alternative to some people. AFTER they have been soundly defeated should Western societies start looking into what exactly make some of their members join that death cult.

garbon

Quote from: grumbler on March 10, 2015, 06:35:22 AM
I think that, to most westerners, it doesn't matter if someone going to fight ISIS is Muslim or not.  In fact, Westerners would be disappointed if the press even mentioned the religion of those fighters.  Wanna-be Westerners like Marti should spend more time watching how Westerners behave, and less time talking about how he thinks he has successfully become Western.

Agreed - though I don't really care much about the last sentence. I've really no opinion on what they should do. :D

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 05:00:56 AM

A lot of the Kurdish fighters are Turkey.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on March 10, 2015, 07:20:25 AM
A lot of the Kurdish fighters are Turkey.

These combat turkeys will be the key to victory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on March 10, 2015, 03:54:17 AM
Now, we should find a way how to eliminate them *before* they join ISIS.

Generally I have no problem with whomever wants to join ISIS joining ISIS.  I would rather them over there than here. 

However it seems like a bit of a security problem that we cannot pull their citizenship.  Human rights and the UN demands we give ISIS as many ways to freely access our territory as possible.  So I guess we probably should try to arrest them before they get there.

The other issue is perhaps these are just confused and ignorant young men being bamboozled by cult leaders who can yet be rehabilitated.  So there's that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

apparently a new ISIS-offensive started against the Syrian Kurds

Sheilbh

Private Eye on the whole Cage/Jihadi John thing:
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.