News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

70th Anniversary of D-Day

Started by Valmy, June 06, 2014, 11:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2014, 03:50:28 PM
She's probably the only one there that actually remembers D-Day.

Yeah she was a teenager wasn't she?  Woah.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 06, 2014, 03:17:32 PM
Jeez, maybe it's time to stop wheeling the poor queen out for public events.  :(

There is nothing poor about her.

I am quite happy our Queen is attending this event.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 03:52:25 PM

Yeah she was a teenager wasn't she?  Woah.

She is the last surviving head of state to have actually served in uniform in WW2.

Also, she was very cute back in the day!

http://long-may-she-rain.blogspot.ca/2012/03/international-womens-day-2012.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Her health might be a bit poor, but I guess not considering her age.  I am a big fan of your Queen. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Razgovory

Quote from: Malthus on June 06, 2014, 04:01:12 PM

She is the last surviving head of state to have actually served in uniform in WW2.

Also, she was very cute back in the day!

http://long-may-she-rain.blogspot.ca/2012/03/international-womens-day-2012.html

And she's a trained truck mechanic!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

Methinks her mechanic skills might be a bit rusty at this point.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on June 06, 2014, 04:05:08 PM

And she's a trained truck mechanic!

Always handy to have a skill to fall back on.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Jeez, maybe it's time to stop wheeling the poor queen out for public events.  :(

She's checking her Twitter feed.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: Caliga on June 06, 2014, 04:07:22 PM
Methinks her mechanic skills might be a bit rusty at this point.

I bet she can still do lube jobs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Zanza

Giorgio Napolitano was there as well, so she wasn't the only one who would remember D-Day. He may not have fought in uniform, but he was active in the resistance against the Italian fascists.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 06, 2014, 12:46:39 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 06, 2014, 12:39:43 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on June 06, 2014, 12:30:50 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 06, 2014, 12:27:47 PM
That's Hollande's nickname?  That's awesome.  :lol:

That's Caramel pudding (Flanby is a famous brand) for the non-Francophones. Given by Fabius, no less.

Is it similar to flan?

Yes.

For you, its the same thing.

For Duque, Flans have flour, Caramel Pudding doesn't.

I never thought I'd see the day Grey Fox would be a purist about language and food like a true Frenchman. :) Victoire !
Btw, I said for the non-Francophone ;)

Sheilbh

There's no way she'd miss this. They're her generation.

She's getting the younger generation to do lots of things now, but I imagine Remembrance Sunday and things like this will be the last thing she'll give up.

Some pictures from the day:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27727856

Also my favourite story:
QuoteD-Day: Hove veteran disappears for Normandy trip

Bernard Jordan was described as "a game old boy" by ferry staff, who met him on his way to France

A World War Two veteran who disappeared from his nursing home to attend the D-Day commemorations in France is on his way back to the UK.

Bernard Jordan, 89, left the home in Hove unannounced at 10:30 BST on Thursday and was reported missing to Sussex Police that evening.

Staff later discovered he had joined other veterans in France.

The former Royal Navy officer said he hoped his trip would not land him in trouble.

On Friday evening, it was confirmed Mr Jordan was on an overnight ferry and had been given a cabin, meals and a transfer back to his nursing home.

Prior to embarking, Mr Jordan told ITV News: "I have been here last year and I have been here obviously this time... but if I am still about I shall try next year's as well."

Asked if he would be in trouble when he returned home, he added: "I might be, but I hope not."

Ship's liaison officer Sonia Pittam, who met Mr Jordan on his way to France, said: "I knew he was a game old boy.

"He certainly has his wits about him, he didn't say much about the landings, just how pleased he was to be on board and couldn't believe how everyone was looking after them [veterans] and all the people waving on the route to the harbour entrance.

"He kept saying, 'All this for us'."

Peter Curtis, chief executive of Gracewell Care Homes, said he had spoken to Mr Jordan's guide and added: "He found it all very emotional - much more than he was expecting, which is why he wants to come home early."

He said he thought Mr Jordan wanted to be back at the care home with his wife Irene, and added that he would be meeting the veteran when he disembarks the ferry.

Mr Jordan, who was mayor of Hove from 1995-96, is a resident of The Pines nursing home in Hove.

'Missing with medals'
Hundreds of veterans marked the 70th anniversary of the D-Day landings in France, with events on the beaches of Normandy.

The landings were the first stage of the invasion of Nazi-occupied Europe.

Earlier, it was believed care home staff stopped Mr Jordan from going to the events.

Brighton and Hove police had tweeted: "90 year old veteran reported missing from care home. Turns out they'd said no to him going to #DDay70 but he went anyway #fightingspirit"

The pensioner had gone out wearing a grey raincoat and a jacket underneath with his war medals on, Sussex Police said.

A police spokesman earlier said: "We have spoken to the veteran who called the home today and are satisfied that the pensioner is fine and that his friends are going to ensure he gets back to Hove safely over the next couple of days after the D-Day celebrations finish.

"Once the pensioner is home, we will go and have a chat with him to check he is OK."

Nev Kemp, the police commander for the City of Brighton & Hove, tweeted: "Love this: 89yr old veteran reported missing by care home who said he can't go to Normandy for #DDay70 remembrance. We've found him there!"

But Mr Curtis said it was "definitely not the case" that Mr Jordan was banned from attending the D-Day commemorations.

He said: "Mr Jordan has full capacity, which means that he can come and go from the home as he pleases, which he does on most days.

"At no stage was he banned from going to the commemorations."

'Disappointment over tour'
Staff had in fact tried to get Mr Jordan on to an accredited tour with the Royal British Legion, he added, but it had not been possible because of the last-minute nature of the request.

Mr Curtis said: "Mr Jordan was reported missing to the police yesterday evening as a matter of caution because he did not return from his normal trip to town.

"When he left, [he] had not told us he was still intent on trying to get to Normandy."

And he said staff at the company were "in awe" of the part Mr Jordan had played in the D-Day invasion.

According to the company's blog, Mr Jordan has lived in Hove all his life and at the home since January.

It said: "He served in the Second World War in the Royal Navy and upon returning married his sweetheart, Irene."

Brighton councillor Les Hamilton, who preceded Mr Jordan as mayor of Hove said the 89-year-old veteran had previously attended the 50th and 60th memorial services in Normandy.

"The memorial services meant a lot to him. He clearly didn't want to miss what might be his last one."

Also the Telegraph did a minute-by-minute of D-Day:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/history/world-war-two/10878674/D-Day-6th-June-1944-as-it-happened-live.html

And I loved the way the FT reported D-Day:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

The invasion's impact on European markets has been underexplored by historians I think
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Do you mean just among the heads of state and the like?  'Cause there were certainly a lnumber of actual D-Day veterans there.  Like the 93 year old guy who parachuted in with the 101st Airborne and jumped in again today.

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on June 06, 2014, 10:22:35 PM

Do you mean just among the heads of state and the like?  'Cause there were certainly a lnumber of actual D-Day veterans there.  Like the 93 year old guy who parachuted in with the 101st Airborne and jumped in again today.

I meant in that picture.