Hobby Lobby’s Steve Green launches a new project: public school Bible curriculum

Started by merithyn, June 05, 2014, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 02:00:17 PM
Seems the right approach to me.

Do you have any idea what a horrible idea trying to do something like this would be in Texas?  We have culture warriors passionately battling it out on every school board.  This sounds good and has the right intention but man....we spend way too much time fretting about making sure our kids are appropriately taught Capitalism and Christianity are the best ideas in the universe at the expense of literacy and mathematics as it is and we do not even have religion classes.

Yes. We do have an idea. It still seems the right approach, even if it is impossible to carry out in Texas (or other parts of the US).

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 02:01:09 PM
Denmark has an official state church  :P.  I get what you are saying but that is why the religion classes are there.

But I want no part of this in an American public school.  Our public school system could not be more different politically.

Religion is an integral part of our history and our present. I believe that it's imperative that a reasoned, balanced education on religions (of as many varieties as we can slip into it) happens for all children.

Unfortunately, our country is very bi-polar on this. It either has to be a lesson on how great Christianity has been for the world, and how it continues to be The One True Religion, and all other religions are no better than pagan fodder OR no religion can be taught in any fashion because that's indoctrination.

We are, as a nation, incapable of finding moderation on anything anymore. :(
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 02:06:15 PM
We are, as a nation, incapable of finding moderation on anything anymore. :(

I am not sure we ever were very good at that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on June 05, 2014, 02:05:18 PM
Putting aside the issue of whether we should have public schools at all, considering the woeful general state of public education and most government institutions in this country, I'd like to thank Oklahoma for once again making Mississippi look good.

It's good you put aside that issue, or you might have been tempted to say something that would make Mississippi look bad again.  :P
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 02:03:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 02:00:17 PM
Seems the right approach to me.

Do you have any idea what a horrible idea trying to do something like this would be in Texas?  We have culture warriors passionately battling it out on every school board.  This sounds good and has the right intention but man....we spend way too much time fretting about making sure our kids are appropriately taught Capitalism and Christianity are the best ideas in the universe at the expense of literacy and mathematics as it is and we do not even have religion classes.

I'll add it to the list of sensible things that are impossible to achieve in Texas because of Texans.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 02:25:30 PM
I'll add it to the list of sensible things that are impossible to achieve in Texas because of Texans.  :P

Indeed.  You can do many sensible things in Texas, you just have to avoid the sovereign authority of the people.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 02:30:25 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 02:25:30 PM

Indeed.  You can do many sensible things in Texas, you just have to avoid the sovereign authority of the people.

Texas: proving democracy a fundamentally bad idea since December 29, 1845.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

America has proven democracy a fundamentally bad idea.  Then again, Europe hasn't proven technocratic rule a bad idea as well.  I vote for computer tyranny.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 03:35:37 PM
America has proven democracy a fundamentally bad idea.  Then again, Europe hasn't proven technocratic rule a bad idea as well.  I vote for computer tyranny.

Democracy can produce poor results.  But the alternatives produce worse results.

Barrister

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 03:35:37 PM

I'll pass.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

alfred russel

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 01:42:56 PM
I was a medieval history major. Of course I do. :D

I have read it and commentaries on it.  I took two classes in College on it.

And I know a lot of medieval history but I am not really sure who much good knowing the Bible extensively did me.  The sort of Christianity practiced right up until the Biblically literalist Protestants came along seems only loosely based on it :lol:

If anything you have to go back and read up on Saints and folk customs and official church doctrine and the councils.  Knowing that stuff strikes me as more important.

There is more to understanding christianity than the bible. Reading the bible doesn't make you an expert on christianity. But I doubt you can really know much about christianity without a working knowledge of the bible.

If you are studying the ancient greeks, you probably want to pick up the Odyssey. If you want an immersion in middle eastern society, culture and history, you might want to thumb through the Quran at some point. For western culture and history, it is the bible.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

I'm fine if children aren't taught about religion. Put it in the dustbin. :yucky:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive