Hobby Lobby’s Steve Green launches a new project: public school Bible curriculum

Started by merithyn, June 05, 2014, 11:44:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 01:15:42 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 01:14:22 PM
Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 01:13:33 PM
Done right, I see no problem whatsoever with an elective course on Bible studies at even a public school (a mandatory course, obviously, would be a different story...).

Well the US doesn't either which is why those already exist.

Then I guess I'm missing out on the source of Meri's outrage.

This guy's announced intention is to make it mandatory and universal; and far from a 'critical analysis', again his expressed hope is to use the course to teach the "truth" of the text, and to emphasise only the positive impact of the text on society.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 01:31:26 PM
This guy's announced intention is to make it mandatory and universal; and far from a 'critical analysis', again his expressed hope is to use the course to teach the "truth" of the text, and to emphasise only the positive impact of the text on society.

Yes this is a culture warrior, not an educator.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 01:08:54 PM
Knowing the Bible is essential to a deep understanding Western literature, art and philosophy. How could it not be, when the Bible has been a central part of Western civilization for at least 1600 years, and much art, literature and philosophy incorporates Biblical themes?

I absolutely agree. However, knowing the Bible as The One True Understanding of God Almighty, as Green would have it taught, is probably not the best way to go about teaching it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Done right, I see no problem whatsoever with an elective course on Bible studies at even a public school (a mandatory course, obviously, would be a different story...).

It helps to read the article. :)

Malthus

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 01:35:46 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 01:08:54 PM
Knowing the Bible is essential to a deep understanding Western literature, art and philosophy. How could it not be, when the Bible has been a central part of Western civilization for at least 1600 years, and much art, literature and philosophy incorporates Biblical themes?

I absolutely agree. However, knowing the Bible as The One True Understanding of God Almighty, as Green would have it taught, is probably not the best way to go about teaching it.

We are in 100% agreement on that.   :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Caliga

Hobby Lobby sucks.  We have those here and the stores are always a mess and staffed by people who have no idea where anything is.  Maybe this dude should put his effort into his stores instead of Bible shit.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on June 05, 2014, 01:38:33 PM
Hobby Lobby sucks.  We have those here and the stores are always a mess and staffed by people who have no idea where anything is.  Maybe this dude should put his effort into his stores instead of Bible shit.

Dude I went there last year to get something framed.  I mean how hard is that?  They fucked it up twice.  Ridiculous.  It should have been free but they took like 10 bucks off.  Never going there again.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 01:37:27 PM

I guess I should ask at this point: do you know your Bible? :P

I was a medieval history major. Of course I do. :D

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 01:40:53 PM
Quote from: Caliga on June 05, 2014, 01:38:33 PM

Dude I went there last year to get something framed.  I mean how hard is that?  They fucked it up twice.  Ridiculous.  It should have been free but they took like 10 bucks off.  Never going there again.

"Hey, I wanted a framed picture of my dog, I got back a framed Bible illustration. WTF?!"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 01:42:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 05, 2014, 01:37:27 PM

I guess I should ask at this point: do you know your Bible? :P

Yup. Read it several times, studied it in religious school, taught religious school for a year, volunteered for an archaeological dig in Israel, studied Biblical history and archeology with the scholars there.

I'd say I know it pretty well.  I still find neato stuff in it from time to time ... for example, I never knew that the prophet Isaiah, often used by Christians to support the messiah-hood of Jesus, actually declared quite another person to be the anointed of God - namely Cyrus the Great, Emperor of Persia!  :lol:

Barrister

Yeah, but he's obviously not going to be allowed to do that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on June 05, 2014, 01:47:32 PM

Yeah, but he's obviously not going to be allowed to do that.

What makes you so sure of that?

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on June 05, 2014, 01:42:56 PM
I was a medieval history major. Of course I do. :D

I have read it and commentaries on it.  I took two classes in College on it.

And I know a lot of medieval history but I am not really sure who much good knowing the Bible extensively did me.  The sort of Christianity practiced right up until the Biblically literalist Protestants came along seems only loosely based on it :lol:

If anything you have to go back and read up on Saints and folk customs and official church doctrine and the councils.  Knowing that stuff strikes me as more important.