9 (30%)
I've decided to vote no
10 (33.3%)
Of course, I have every Rush single
11 (36.7%)

Total Members Voted: 30

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
In relativity theory is both frames of reference are valid; from the reference frame of Alderaan I must pull the trigger.

But free will is subjective personal experience; so for that purpose the only frame of reference that matters is the subject.  From the POV of Alderaanis, my actions are pre-determined, but I don't care about their POV (indeed I have decided to annihilate it).  From my POV I have a choice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 03:40:07 PM
Frunk,

If QM is correct and all outcomes are possible then how does it makes sense to speak of only one outcome being predetermined?

It would be better to say that QM means we can't predetermine what possibility is going to happen.  In that sense all outcomes are possible, but given the consistent and verifiable behavior of the universe most outcomes are so mind-bogglingly unlikely that it's a serious exaggeration.  Someone with a god-like view of the universe not subject to the restrictions of QM could very easily see it as being completely deterministic.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 05, 2014, 03:55:59 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 01:02:59 PM
In relativity theory is both frames of reference are valid; from the reference frame of Alderaan I must pull the trigger.

But free will is subjective personal experience; so for that purpose the only frame of reference that matters is the subject.  From the POV of Alderaanis, my actions are pre-determined, but I don't care about their POV (indeed I have decided to annihilate it).  From my POV I have a choice.

But you can't decide not to pull the trigger since you already destroyed Alderaan.  Your action is predetermined.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 04:13:26 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 03:40:07 PM
Frunk,

If QM is correct and all outcomes are possible then how does it makes sense to speak of only one outcome being predetermined?

It would be better to say that QM means we can't predetermine what possibility is going to happen.  In that sense all outcomes are possible, but given the consistent and verifiable behavior of the universe most outcomes are so mind-bogglingly unlikely that it's a serious exaggeration.  Someone with a god-like view of the universe not subject to the restrictions of QM could very easily see it as being completely deterministic.

I thought QM goes further and predicts that not only are all outcomes possible but that all outcomes do in fact occur in an infinite number of universes?

Here is the first thing I found on a google search.

QuoteOn a larger scale, MWI would mean that everything which can happen will happen in at least one universe. Based on this, Max Tegmark at Princeton University suggested an experiment to prove that the many-worlds interpretation is correct, where one points a loaded gun at one's head, and pulls the trigger. If you were to try this test, it is highly unlikely that you would survive... but if the gun failed to go off, and continued to do so in subsequent tests, you could eventually become reasonably confident that you're in one of the branched universes where something caused the gun to misfire each time. Of course only the "you" in those "miraculous survival" universes would know this, the others would all be dead from gunshot wounds to the head

Valmy

What if you built your Death Star that had remote tachyon control and you pressed the button to destroy Alderaan on Alderaan?  You are committing an impossible act yes?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

MWI is only one interpretation, though one supported by evidence (quantum computers work).

Hamilcar and I had this argument like eight years ago.  He's way smarter than me (I think he's probably the smartest person that ever posted here), and he thought that there was no material or objective reality to particles in a coherent state, and thus there were no multiple universes.  That said, he's also a cosmologist, and QM isn't his field of expertise.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

frunk

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 04:35:52 PM
I thought QM goes further and predicts that not only are all outcomes possible but that all outcomes do in fact occur in an infinite number of universes?

QM is a specific theory in Physics that describes actual observed behavior.  The MWI is an attempted explanation for why QM works.  There's no evidence for MWI being true versus the many other attempted explanations for QM.

PDH

I should have never put the tachyon trigger in that box with the damn cat and the isotope.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 04:39:03 PM
MWI is only one interpretation, though one supported by evidence (quantum computers work).

What exactly in quantum computers working implies MWI?

Savonarola

Quote from: PDH on June 05, 2014, 04:44:23 PM
I should have never put the tachyon trigger in that box with the damn cat and the isotope.

:lol:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

crazy canuck

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 04:44:16 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 05, 2014, 04:35:52 PM

QM is a specific theory in Physics that describes actual observed behavior.  The MWI is an attempted explanation for why QM works.  There's no evidence for MWI being true versus the many other attempted explanations for QM.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.

Ideologue

Quote from: frunk on June 05, 2014, 04:45:31 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 04:39:03 PM

What exactly in quantum computers working implies MWI?

My gut instinct is that calculations require material, and that material has got to be somewhere.  Factoring a large number demands unimaginable amounts of material.

There are more formal reasons, but it's been ages since I've read up on it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 04:38:15 PM
What if you built your Death Star that had remote tachyon control and you pressed the button to destroy Alderaan on Alderaan?  You are committing an impossible act yes?

I don't think that even violates free will.  I press my tachyon trigger and two years later, from Alderaan's frame of reference, Alderaan is destroyed.  In that case, if I have free will, I can decide not to destroy Alderaan before I destroy Alderaan.

frunk

Quote from: Ideologue on June 05, 2014, 04:47:34 PM
My gut instinct is that calculations require material, and that material has got to be somewhere.  Factoring a large number demands unimaginable amounts of material.

There are more formal reasons, but it's been ages since I've read up on it.

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by material.

Valmy

Quote from: Savonarola on June 05, 2014, 04:50:19 PM
Quote from: Valmy on June 05, 2014, 04:38:15 PM

I don't think that even violates free will.  I press my tachyon trigger and two years later, from Alderaan's frame of reference, Alderaan is destroyed.  In that case, if I have free will, I can decide not to destroy Alderaan before I destroy Alderaan.

Ah I thought Alderaan would had to  have already been blown up years before?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."