News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sbr

How the fuck can grown men cry over a game they didn't even play in?

alfred russel

Quote from: Monoriu on July 13, 2014, 04:34:23 PM
Oh well.  I guess we'll have to settle for a 99% victory for the status quo instead of 100%.

You fail to appreciate the bigger picture. Yes a traditional power won. But the success of the US created unprecedented excitement here. In time that may be the spark needed to create your ultimate nightmare: a non European / South American winner.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2014, 04:42:43 PM

Seriously?  I don't even know what to say to that.

Deutschland über alles in der welt
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Maladict

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2014, 04:42:43 PM

Subs or fans? Weird question in both cases, actually.  :huh:

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

sbr

I meant as a fan, not a player that didn't get into the game.

I have had favorite teams win championships and lose championship games.  I have had favorite teams have their hearts broken and very rarely had my team break someone else's heart.  I have had favorite teams get screwed over and seen it go the other way, but I cannot think of any time that I have been even close to crying over other people running around playing a game.

Liep

Favourite team != national team.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Golden Ball to Messi?

Liep

Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2014, 05:01:39 PM
Golden Ball to Messi?

Of course, the Germans got to the final as a team, Argentina because of Messi. So probably deserved.

Valmy

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2014, 04:58:06 PM
I meant as a fan, not a player that didn't get into the game.

I have had favorite teams win championships and lose championship games.  I have had favorite teams have their hearts broken and very rarely had my team break someone else's heart.  I have had favorite teams get screwed over and seen it go the other way, but I cannot think of any time that I have been even close to crying over other people running around playing a game.

I think this is more of a temperament thing.  One of the things I love about being in a big group of sports fans is the heightened emotions you get as part of the mob.  I find myself tearing up when we freaking play the fight song much less when we suffer a soul crushing defeat.  But the heightened emotions are part of the rush for me, that is why I am here.  If I was not emotionally into it, it wouldn't be any fun and I would do something else with my time.

But, you know, don't bug me right after a big loss.  I need about 30 minutes to get my sanity back.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2014, 05:04:32 PM
But, you know, don't bug me right after a big loss.  I need about 30 minutes to get my sanity back.

:lol:  It used to be, it took me until about Wednesday.  Now I'm good around late Monday afternoon.

Playoff losses, on the other hand...now they smart.

Maladict

I think this German team will have a good shot at taking Moscow in 2018.

sbr

Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2014, 04:59:44 PM

Well, that's true.  I care a lot more about the St Louis Cardinals and Portland Trail Blazers then any of the US National Teams.  Maybe it is because the national teams only do stuff every 4 years were I am following and caring about the others every year.

PDH

Quote from: Valmy on July 13, 2014, 05:04:32 PM

Exactly.  The shared experience of being a fan at an event/watching an event means something, even more so in a big loss.  It might mean going off to our special place to not talk to anyone, or it might me letting emotions out, but the communitas of the moment is not the norm.  Let people cry, let them punch walls, let them swear, let them be alone - it is something shared and something emotional.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Liep

Quote from: sbr on July 13, 2014, 05:10:14 PM
Quote from: Liep on July 13, 2014, 04:59:44 PM

Well, that's true.  I care a lot more about the St Louis Cardinals and Portland Trail Blazers then any of the US National Teams.  Maybe it is because the national teams only do stuff every 4 years were I am following and caring about the others every year.

I have a feeling that the national team has a different status in rotw than in the us.