And we're back!

Main Menu

2014 World Cup

Started by Maladict, June 03, 2014, 04:58:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on July 10, 2014, 09:55:06 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 07:02:35 AM
One advantage of playing Argentina in the final: all of Brazil will root for Germany. :P

Having rooted for Brazil all tournament I guess I'm supposed to root against Argentina... but I don't think I can do it.  Not for the Germans.
:( :( :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Monoriu

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 10:04:55 AM
One advantage of playing Argentina in the final: all of Brazil will root for Germany. :P

Having rooted for Brazil all tournament I guess I'm supposed to root against Argentina... but I don't think I can do it.  Not for the Germans.

Sorry, you guys are in the wrong continent this time.  I'll root for Germany in 2018  :cool:

Valmy

Barrister's hatred for Syt and Zanza knows no bounds and favors Catholics over Protestants.  He also hates Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

I, on the other hand, will go to the barricades with you

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

Is it possible that both team get DQ & we can have a proper and honourable winner like France.

ffs.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 10, 2014, 10:12:45 AM
Is it possible that both team get DQ & we can have a proper and honourable winner like France.

ffs.

I think probably more teams than just two would have to be DQ'd for France to be proclaimed the champ :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Monoriu

Yeah, France is ranked 7th, I think.  It failed to get into the semi-finals.  Out of the 4 teams eliminated in the quarter-finals, France (10) is behind Columbia (12) and Belgium (12) in terms of points.  So the ranking is Germany/Argentina, Brazil/Netherlands, Columbia, Belgium, then France in 7th place, ahead of Costa Rica (9 points).

celedhring

In dubio, I go with what will piss off the Real Madrid fans I know more, and that's an Argie win. ¡Adelante Argentina!

Syt

Valmy: Honorary Prussian Liberal. :pickelhaube:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

derspiess

Ah, the circumcision factor.  Regardless, welcome to my barra quilombera :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2014, 10:07:53 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2014, 10:04:55 AM

Sorry, you guys are in the wrong continent this time.  I'll root for Germany in 2018  :cool:

Your no European teams winning in South America requirement is a fundamental flaw in an otherwise admirable system.

There have  been three tournaments in South America before this one. The first two can be safely ignored. Hardly any European teams (or any teams) wanted to play and in neither tournament could they manage to field 16 teams.

The 1978 world cup was a proper tournament but Aregentina's qualification for the final is so suspect it shoudl be regarded as stricken from the records.

South America is therefore tabla rasa as far as world cup tournaments are concerned.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on July 10, 2014, 10:19:54 AM
Yeah, France is ranked 7th, I think.  It failed to get into the semi-finals.  Out of the 4 teams eliminated in the quarter-finals, France (10) is behind Columbia (12) and Belgium (12) in terms of points.  So the ranking is Germany/Argentina, Brazil/Netherlands, Columbia, Belgium, then France in 7th place, ahead of Costa Rica (9 points).

The rankings of none-UEFA team is irrevelant.

It is madening that the world of soccer is not dominated by France and England. Madening.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on July 10, 2014, 11:13:00 AM
The 1978 world cup was a proper tournament but Aregentina's qualification for the final is so suspect it shoudl be regarded as stricken from the records.

That is Mono's point

Gups

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2014, 11:16:40 AM

That is Mono's point

Really? I thought he was supporting Argentina on the basis of his thirs status quo rule: that no European team should win a WC hosted in South America. I'm arguing that is a shitty rule and that the three WCs held before 2014 in SA should be ignored for any staus quo calculations.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Gups on July 10, 2014, 11:30:06 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 10, 2014, 11:16:40 AM

That is Mono's point

Really? I thought he was supporting Argentina on the basis of his thirs status quo rule: that no European team should win a WC hosted in South America. I'm arguing that is a shitty rule and that the three WCs held before 2014 in SA should be ignored for any staus quo calculations.

His status quo rule was no new team can win  ;)

His theory as a whole is premised on the assumption that FIFA decides who wins and your point provided good evidence for his theory.